Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #941 Nullzone, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    The changes look very good, great job!
    Map operations (scroll,zoom,etc.) feel a lot smoother. I switched back to "Fast" from "Very Fast" (which was too fast now ;) ).

The markers help a lot with finding your and enemy units in the gloom. I switched the HP bars off, found them a bit too distracting and overloading the screen when a lot of enemies are present.
    Fun fact: Green on green is very hard to see. In the Patrol level, my first thought on the Earth Elementals (they look awesome, btw ;) ) was "Don't tell me I have to fight THAT!?" . Took me a few minutes to notice that these were my guys. Reason: The green marker does not stand out against the green moverange indicator.

That enemies use skills now is fantastic. I only had time to fuss around with a Patrol stage or two, but already saw *a lot* of stuff going on:
    Enemies using attack skills against my heroes, their group leaders using different group buffs and on the same turn, single units using their personal buffs.

The new Morale system looks very promising, but I find it a bit hard to pay attention to and keep track of everything that's going on.
    Example: On turn 3, suddenly a few enemy units panicked, but I have no idea why. All I did was move the Earth Elemental in between them, and they didn't seem to mind at all on turn 2. So what caused the panic? That I killed a unit next to them? Or does the EE have so much intimidate (it looks like a moving mountain spire, so there) that it accumulated enough to freak them out?
    Guess things will smooth out after playing more. However, in the beginning it feels very much overwhelming.
    Please consider adding a good tutorial for that further down the road.

Issues:
    1) The Stormseer's Tornado (2nd skill) now seems to cause even more lag than before. Game goes back to normal though when the animation is complete.
    2) Something happened with the "Load Game" and "Dungeon/Store/Patrol" screens: The text appears larger, and the buttons are halfway off the screen again. I'll post screenshots later.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Won the "Ambush" Patrol stage with a lvl0 all-Mages party (Normal Difficulty), and half of my folks even survived ;)
    Would have been more if I had planned out my healing a bit better. What brought 3 down was the Rat Pack Leader, I really underestimated this guy (which is good) . He managed to outflank me and plop directly into my wounded chars and killed them off before I managed to put him down for good.
    Going to shoot for the Trolls next.

By the way, the Wyvern flying off is pretty funny. Might be worth checking if you can leave that in. It's not stupid, and tries to escape. Player needs to keep the path south blocked to make sure it cannot get away.

I tried the iOS Accessibility setting for font sizes, checking if making the fonts smaller would resolve the "buttons off the screen" problem.
    However, the setting doesn't have any effect. I assume that Unity does not support it ouf of the box? As consolation, iOS doesn't support it correctly everywhere, not even within the same menu (Settings page, for example)

3. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm going to add more and more abilities to units. For example, I want to create goblins that light themselves on fire and explode when they are in the thick of the action and stuff like that. It makes the game more challenging but also more interesting and unpredictable.

Your mage party will probably have an easier time with the trolls because they are big brutes ... and rely on being able to connect with their enemies to do damage. Fighters have few options at low levels other than getting stuck in melee. However, mages can do things like blind them or use mind control to make one fight the other.

It would involve re-writing the AI code to prioritize moving to a particular exit location when health goes low or something. I'd love to do it but it's complicated and not something I want to tack now close to release. Touching that code could have adverse effects elsewhere and I just don't want to risk it right now.

The changes in screen size are because I made corrections to certain screens. I think I probably just forgot to update those mentioned screens. Send me a screen shot when you have time but I'll check on my own anyway.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Don't think I can take the Trolls right on level 0. 400HP and hitting like a truck does not bode well. Two of my guys already died to 1hit-kills, and I'm only on turn 3.
    Turtling up and papercutting them to death 1hp at a time might work. I think when I stay far enough away they don't close the distance. Will take ages, though...

Go easy on changing the AI code. Like you wrote, not a good idea right before release.

Here are the screenshots of the two screens. Other stuff like party selection and Store is ok.

Attached Files:

• 073.jpg
      073.jpg
      File size:
      336.3 KB
      Views:
    • 074.jpg
      074.jpg
      File size:
      401 KB
      Views:
  5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Interesting ... which device are you using?

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Still an iPad Air 1 :)

7. wermy

wermy Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Soooo is this game out? I can't really tell - I see talk of new versions being submitted, etc but I don't see it on the app store. Is it on the US Store? And is it Demon Hunters or Demon's Bane? (your website says Demons Bane).

Looks awesome, btw. :)

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @wermy: We are still beta-testing, and keeping poor WaveLight bloody busy with our insane demands ;)
    The talk of new versions is about the beta builds on Testflight.
    Name, no idea if WaveLight will stick with Demon Hunters or decide on something else.
    Release date: a few pages back he aimed for a June release. Can't say if that's going to work out, he's one busy fellow and constantly adding stuff and fixing small bugs.

Pretty sure you can join in on the testing if you feel like it.

9. wermy

wermy Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Yeah I'd love to give it a whirl if they are still allowing new testers. :)

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure thing ... just send me a pm with your test flight email.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Anyone tried creating a new party and giving new names to the heroes? I'm thinking of adding an intimidation factor for especially awesome names.:cool:

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #952 Nullzone, May 28, 2015
    Not yet, but definitely on "fun stuff to do" list. I am not the most creative with names anyways. An occasional bright moment, but that's it ;) One of the shorties will of course be called Oberst Sturmhardt Eisenkeil (Colonel Stormstrong Ironwedge), squad leader of the Dwarven Elite shocktroops: one of those guys who gobble iron filings for breakfast before punching out a dragon ;)
    The idea with extra intimidation for cool names rocks!

UPDATE: Too bad you can change names only at party creation. But then that's pretty much standard, so no biggie.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #953 Nullzone, May 28, 2015
    I managed to beat the Trolls with my lvl0 party. Tough cookie ;)
    And pretty much impossible without a lot of Rangeds. I used the Golem as tank, defense buffing him with my Stonepriest (went with him instead of the Paladin), and kept everyone else well out of reach. Golem died one turn before I got the second Troll, I got pretty lucky.

Some stuff I noticed:
    1) Are the Golem's first 2 skills limited in use? I could only use them once each, but the description doesn't say anything about that.
    2) The Dwarven Warrior's Healing skill (first skill) doesn't seem to work anymore. I tried about 10 times, but never saw HP getting healed.
    3) The Illusionist's first skill that creates a decoy image also doesn't seem to work. It triggered alright, but I didn't see any effect (like a ghostly/faded duplicate of the Illu).
    4) I find skills like the Pyromancer's Incinerate (2nd skill) almost useless, because they are so difficult and dangerous to use. With the effect range starting right in front of you and then fanning out, it's really difficult to position the hero so that you do not hit your own chars as well. Might be worth considering if they can be changed to only hitting enemy units.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #954 Nullzone, May 28, 2015
    I wish the Stonepriest would really do 99 max melee damage ;)
    Also note that it says "min dam" and "max dam", where it should be "Melee x-y" and "Ranged x-y".
    Just tested with a fresh save: only slot 1 displays correctly, 2-6 show as in the screenshot.

Attached Files:

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Good catch ... I'll fix that.

Anyone run into any crashes in this version?

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Also, I saw you have a Chronomancer in your party. How are you finding him?

Regarding the Pyromancer's incinerate spell, it being difficult to use is kind of the point. Generally the Pyromancer's spells all have the potential to hurt friendly units. So I'd like to keep it how it is but if you find it's not useful, then I'll probably increase the damage it does so the potential damage will be worth getting your pyromancer into melee range.

17. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Man, this game is looking good. Excited for release

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The Bonus levels are going to tough generally for level 0's to take on. However, they shouldn't be impossible and are meant to be of flexible difficulty. At low levels, you might use the help of your allied units to get through a level. At higher levels, you might ignore the allies and just kill everything with your party members to get the maximum amount of experience. That being said, they will still scale up in difficulty as the player plays further into the quest levels. For example, bonus levels featuring goblins won't be available until the player is in chapter 2 when the goblin faction first shows up.

They shouldn't be to my knowledge. I'll check ... I think they might have a cool down but that should be it.

I've noticed that too. However, if you have a dwarf warrior in your party to begin with .. the heal works fine. For some reason the heal ability doesn't work if it is an allied dwarf. No clue at all why that would be the case but I'll look into it.

That's odd ... it should summon a copy of the Illusionist that you can use to distract enemies and draw fire away from the real Illusionist. It can sometimes fail but unless it fails, it should summon a new unit.

I'll up the damage it does to make it worth while. It'll still be up to you to position him appropriately. ;)

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... if you want to play it today, just let me know. It's a totally open beta.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    By the way, although I"m still not sure about the name for this game .... I've already decided on the name for the Sci-Fi version that I'm going to release if this is even remotely successful. The Sci-Fi version will be called......

Xenocide: Squad Commander