Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the info. I'll try and reproduce it to see what is going on. Some questions:

- which slot does the duelist occupy? By this I mean in the inventory window, does the duelist portrait appear as the first from the top or is it lower down in the order? A screen shot of the inventory window in either battle or shop would be helpful.

- are the duelist's attacks the right value in the battle level?

- when you do see the stats as incorrect in either the shop or battle level, can you restart the level and wait around 5 seconds before pressing the start button? Then let me know if the stats are still wrong.

2. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I think you're on to something with the loading thing. Because I do thing so rapidly it's probably the causing stuff not to load. So far if I leave it for a few seconds before pressing shop buttons and stuff, things seem to be normal. If I go super fast then I lose all the stats from my items.

Maybe you need to implement something to ensure everything loads correctly before user input can interfere with the process.

3. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Found a bad bug on a Day 3 level.

Level starts you off around a blue flame. One character is always selected with the movement grid highlighted. Unable to move or attack but can end the turn or use abilities.

Ending a turn ends with another character being selected with the movement grid up but you can't move or attack. You can still use abilities.

Shutting down the app and restarting it resolved it however.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I'll check out that level and see if there's anything unusual. If that happens again, try to take note of everything that you did before hand and let me know the details.

Quick update on my end. I was able to do quite a few cool little things today:

1 - Added the ability for players to give each hero a unique name and now have this name stored and displayed in the stat sheet. This was surprisingly complicated but seems to be done and working now.

2 - Added voices that play when the player adds a unit to his party in team selection.

3 - Made the music play continuously in the first few levels rather than having it keep stopping and starting again. This was again surprisingly complicated.

Off to Niagara falls tomorrow with the family. Might have some time to add a bit more on Monday ... will likely add a few bonus levels. Then I'll upload the next update to Apple on Tuesday.

5. MacrosTheBlack

MacrosTheBlack Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    Illinois
    The game looks great! Can't wait to buy when it gets released :)

6. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    The only thing I noticed was that I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and upon rebooting the app a character was selected automatically when the map was loaded but I was able to select others and actually move and attack.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... thanks for the info. I think I ran into that once in my testing as well but it seems to happen very rarely so it'll probably be hard to debug. Still .. if it's rare enough, it's probably not a huge problem.

Quick update guys, I've started work on the second patrol level. It's one where the party members are working with some veteran dwarf units to clear some trolls out of an old tomb. It's a cool level because it gives the player a chance to see some of the more powerful enemies that they'll face later in the game right away and get to try out some higher level player units (a Stone Priest, 2 dwarf Iron Guard, a cannon and a golem).

Another really cool thing is that now that player units have names, I gave each of the allied units unique names and even some unique looking weapons and armour. That way, players aren't seeing the exact same allied units again and again. I'm really liking the possibilities that have opened up with my faction switching code ... brilliant stuff. Also adding unique names to characters really does add more depth and immersion to the game.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... if you'd like to play now, feel free to join the open beta. Just send me a PM with your test flight id.

Raj

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Made some more minor fixes. Uploading the next version. It has only 2 bonus levels but will give you guys a taste of what to expect. I played the Troll hunt bonus level with an entry level team and lost. It might be a bit tough for level 0's to walk into but I think a team of level 1's and 2's will be okay.

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Picture time ... here are some shots of the second bonus level (troll hunt) taken on my iPhone 5 at low detail (special FX on, extra character details off).

Here's the player party at the beginning along with the dwarf allies:

[​IMG]IMG_0053 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

You'll notice that there are 3 Dwarf Ironguards (1 from the player party and 2 as allies for just this mission). Notice that they each look different and have slightly different stats and different names. It's a great little detail and allows me to have personality to NPC's ... you might see the same dwarf Ironguard in a later quest or patrol level. Perhaps then he'll be slightly tougher or carry a magic glowing weapon because just as your party has grown ... so has he. Of course ... you might also come across his corpse one day in your travels through the dungeon. I'm hoping to add lots of these little details to really grow immersion as the game's story unfolds.

Here are the only enemies in this level ... 2 River Trolls. These guys are really tough and in my first play through, my entire party and the allies were killed. :eek:

[​IMG]IMG_0054 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Uploaded the next version to Apple yesterday. Hopefully they'll release in a day or two.

12. cubanbass

cubanbass Member

Jul 12, 2012
    musician
    Hoboken, NJ
    Looking forward to it....

Enjoyed playing through the 4th chapter this weekend... Had some crashed, a couple of times on the level when the Ogre's appear for the first time. When moving the steel golem in combat. Another time at the bridge crossing level, I had the charters grouped by the exit and whenever a new wave of enemies would appear it would crash.

I had crashed with the archer at times, it was when I would launch her social and knock out a group of enemies.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I haven't run into those kinds of crashes in the latest release so i'm hoping those are cleared up. I used the Steel Golem extensively and have gotten to quest 3 with him and never had a crash during gameplay.

The only issue I'm facing is that creating a new save game can sometimes take ages. Clicking on a save game slot and then it just hangs for 30 seconds or more ... which makes no sense to me. I think it's because when I do that, I'm deleting / reseting any values that might have existed in that save slot back to a default zero value. I wonder if I should break up that operation into parts so it's not all happening at once.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    By the way, when you say 4th chapter ... are you referring to the level with the demons in it? If so ... that's awesome. That's as far as I've gotten. If you get into chapter 5, then I think you'll have the honour of being the first person on the planet to have done so as I haven't done that yet in my testing. :)

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Also, you'll notice in the next update that the undead are super tough. I gave the undead sorcerer, archer and guard unique abilities and when combined together, it can get crazy. Undead in this game are tough to kill but with their abilities, they just don't die. I have yet to beat the first level in chapter 3 with the undead ... though I did choose a questionable party composition.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Tougher and more challenging opponents sound very good ;)
    What's your "questionable party composition" by the way? I'm curious.

17. cubanbass

cubanbass Member

Jul 12, 2012
    musician
    Hoboken, NJ
    That's awesome... looks like you just set me on a course for chapter 5.

I tried to build a weird/weak team but the Gnome is really strong, I have him w/a couple of attacks. Combined with his special abilities he has been a savior. The assassin character too. I dig the steel golem but I reheat putting two in the party. One does the job (he also has a magic item that boosts his health- been my tank). I thought the Half Giant was going to do most of the work- he probably has the least kills. I just leveled him up to the multi unit kill so I think he will get a bit more action -hmmm is there a stat for kill per character?

I have also used a strategy w/every level of holding back and fighting in close quarters. I try to take the shooters out first and then gang up on the tough enemies.

I am really enjoying this game, I said it earlier but with the variety of characters and unique abilities, the items/loot... the replay on this is golden!

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Awesome ... glad you guys are enjoying it. Speaking of character selections, I built the Dwarf Dragon Hunter class yesterday. An unarmoured but tough as nails fighter with a 2 handed axe that has a lot of self buffs and some powerful melee abilities. His class hunts chaos / evil dragons and at higher levels, he can use dragon blood to fuel his special attacks. He also has a high courage and intimidation value and a 100% chance of going berserk if he does fail a morale.

He'll be released as a player class as a free update after release.

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I've got a half giant, samurai, steel golem, cannon, and skeleton champion. No healers and no mages for versatile abilities. I'm trying to push through though as most will get self heal abilities if I can raise a few levels.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just realized I did something stupid with the last version I uploaded. Looks like Apple hasn't even started to review it yet so I might pull it off and upload another version.