Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #841 Nullzone, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
    I had a few more crashes when finishing the team creation with "Continue".
    But they seem random, I cannot reproduce them at will, e.g. tied to adding specific characters.
    The only thing I noticed is that they started after I created the second savegame. When I was using only one slot, everything worked fine.
    This time I noted down the timestamps. I can send them to you, but don't have your email address.
    Does Apple allow to add a "send crash report" function to apps?

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Unity haven't fixed the crash bug on their end but I've found a workaround that seems to fix the issue everywhere except the character selection screen. I have a more aggressive workaround that fixes it on that screen too but it involves removing all the animated characters from that screen so I'm not sure I want to go that route yet.

Can you give me some details? Are you referring to the action camera appearing behind walls? Is it that the default settings for zoom and pan / rotate speed are still off? Too fast or too slow? Let me know the details and I'll see what can be done.

If it's the action camera, then I don't think the version that I submitted has it fixed. My current version switches the action camera to an over the shoulder view of the character and only displays if there are no blocking walls around that character (1 tile radius). I haven't found a situation yet with the action camera showing up behind a wall or being obstructed in this setup.

This is really confusing me too. I haven't been able to reproduce anything like this. I would suggest deleting the game and downloading again. Create a new team and see if you can reproduce it. If you can ... try and explain exactly what you did to reproduce it. In the mean time, I'll take a look at the code for items that grant extra attacks ... there might be something buggy just in the code for those items. I found yesterday a bug in my version for trinket items so it's possible a few other bugs persist.

Also, you probably want to start a new game anyway since the new morale system changes the game significantly and I'd like to get your input on whether it's an improvement or not.

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, the crash bug still occurs in the character creation level. The reason for the bug is that Unity 5 for iOS 64-bit has a bug where it will crash the game sometimes if a 3d model is destroyed while it has an animation that is still playing. Switching scenes results in destroying said objects and therefore it crashes sometimes. Another developer posted a workaround piece of code that runs before the screen transition and removes all animations from 3d objects. That seems to work on all other scenes as I haven't had any other crashes except for the character creation scene.

I've done some more digging on my end and if I remove all the 3d characters from the character selection screen, the crashes are gone from that scene too. So, worst case scenario, I could just remove the 3d animated characters from that scene and there shouldn't be any crashes. That's what I have in my version and I've created around 10 new teams and not crashed once.

On the good side though, Unity has apparently reproduced the bug on their end and have assigned it to a developer. So hopefully in a week or two, the bug will be fixed.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    By the way, I'm going to put a lot of work into the game this weekend. My wife (she who must be obeyed) is allowing me the rare privilege of spending time for game development. As such, expect a new version uploaded to Apple on Tuesday of next week with a whole bunch of improvements. I'm hoping to work on all of the suggestions that have been posted here such as unit indicators, more refinements to morale system, AI abilities, adjustments to abilities and stateliness for character balance and hopefully lots more.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's a shot of the updated GUI. It shows the unit circle indicators. Green means in the player's faction, red means enemy faction, yellow means panicked and there is a magenta one for berserk (not shown).

The icons in the HUD are smaller than they really are in game ... it's just scaled differently in my game development tool, which is where this shot was taken:

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2015-05-16 at 10.58.06 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Let me know what you think. I'm going to put it as an option so players can choose whether to turn them off or on.

6. HallmarkCard

HallmarkCard Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2015
    Sounds great. Also, you are a wise man in your marriage. The old saying goes, "Happy wife, Happy life" :)

7. Cerxop65

Cerxop65 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Hey wavelight games, when's this releasing? Can't wait

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just wrapping up loose ends. On track for a June 1st submission to Apple.

9. Cerxop65

Cerxop65 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2015
    Nice!

10. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    You need to test it for yourself and to understand what I'm trying to get across. When you pan the camera on the map, if you move your finger really slowly it moves really fast. If you slide your finger really really fast across the screen, the camera panning is slow. The sensitivity is relatively reversed in relation to how fast you scroll.

I'll start a new game, the stats bug thing is sort of random and was happening in the last few builds but I could always reset it back to normal. This time my methods aren't working and it's stuck for good. I used to save in the shop it keep the stats at normal. By save I would press the finalize trade button because it forces a save.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks .. now I finally understand what you mean. That's great feedback and you're right it's definitely a bug. I'll work on fixing it.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Fixing the camera controls might take me some time. The original code for that part was written by someone else and to be honest, I don't really understand it. I'll figure it out or ask the original developer ... he's usually pretty helpful and responsive.

On a separate note, I'm thinking of renaming the game "Demon Hunters - Lair of the Shadow Dragon"

Thoughts?

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Good luck with the camera controls!
    About the name: Sounds good to me. Only downside is it gives a huge hint on what to expect as final boss ;)
    Not sure how to get this across in the game name: You aren't traveling through/towards a dragon's lair, but through a - presumably ancient - Dwarven citadel. You aren't exactly hunting either, and not only Demons. Ah well, "Demon Hunters" could be the type of people the Dwarf King called for specifically (as opposed to your typical "run-of-the-mill adventurers") .

14. cubanbass

cubanbass Member

Jul 12, 2012
    musician
    Hoboken, NJ
    Game testing

Despite the app crashing in the middle of battle I have managed to get to the end of level three. Killed all the monsters (summoned guy, the ladies, and skeletons) but was stuck in the room?

One frustrating bit was that there was not a persistent save, if I left the game to to to my home screen, or take a call or text, my level seas lost. Had to start the battle all over again. It was more frustrating as it kept crashing during battle.

Another bug, and I apologize if it has been mentioned, is that characters are freezing during battle. They freeze and are inactive. Other characters pass right through them and can occupy the same time. It happens with multiple characters. I must have played one level at least 10 times before I got through it as my characters kept freezing or the game kept crashing.

I know that's why your are testing... I hope you know about the freezing characters.

I am loving the game despite these issues. I think you have a great thing going!

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback.

The app closing when going into the background seems to occur on some devices and not others. Can you tell me what device and iOS version you're running it on?

Regarding the other bug related to characters freezing, this is a bug I'm starting to notice as well. I thought this was related to how my code was handling pinning but reverting to my new morale system still seems to have this occur. I've seen it once happen to both enemy units and my own units. I have no idea what's causing it but will look into it today. Somewhere in the code, I must be removing the unit from the tile erroneously so I'll search for calls to the function that does that.

Regarding the crash bugs, I just downloaded the latest patch to my game engine (Unity 5) and it seems to have fixed the bug when it occurs during the team creation screen. I've just created 10 new teams and not crashed once. Earlier, it would crash around 50% of the time on this screen. Not sure if this will fix the crash during battle. I haven't run into that in a while on my version. Can you tell me which version you are running right now? Is it the version with the new morale system rather than pinning or is it an older version?

16. cubanbass

cubanbass Member

Jul 12, 2012
    musician
    Hoboken, NJ

I am running Version 1.35 of the game on an iPhone 5S w/ IOS 8.3

I believe its with the new morale system, since I updated I don't think I have been getting pinned but going I am going berserk when overwhelmed, etc...

I have only been using one team, trying to get as far as I can through the dungeon... I get a crash after I finish a dungeon. Not every time but more often than not. It does load with the dungeon completed and moves me to the next one. The characters freezing does include enemies as well.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... thanks for letting me know. I wonder what would cause it to hibernate properly on my iPhone 5 on IOS 8.3 but not on your iPhone 5S. Do you have other apps running in the background? Can you try closing all background apps and then try hybernating and seeing if it still resets the game?

Hopefully the next version will stop any crashes when switching from level to level. I haven't actually run into it at all in my games but I did uninstall the game and start fresh. Exactly which level are you on now?

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #858 Nullzone, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    @cubanbass:
    Could be a memory issue that the game doesn't run in the background. But even with minimal RAM usage (~33% seems to be the current minimum with iOS 8.3 for me) , I have the same. Sending it to the background immediately quits the game.
    Unless you restarted your iPhone before playing, you could try e.g. Battery Doctor (https://appsto.re/nl/gRZTK.i) to see how much free memory you have.

Just checked: Starting the first stage on Day 1 sends RAM use up to 79%. Safari with 7 open tabs with texts only added another 3% .

Does anyone know the threshold, when iOS kicks background apps out of the RAM?

19. cubanbass

cubanbass Member

Jul 12, 2012
    musician
    Hoboken, NJ
    I think so too- I tried testing it out a couple of times and it kept running. Only when I had set the phone down for a few minutes did I not get the game back.

I will check it out battery doctor, thanks.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #860 Nullzone, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    UPDATE: Interesting...
    Switching Special Effects and extra details off didn't make a difference.
    Sending it into background and switching back immediately also kept the current level open.
    Having the page of this thread as active tab didn't send it off to Nirvana, either.
    Hitting the Reply button and thus loading the Reply page did, though.

Same goes for e.g. switching to this http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/516675-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic/faqs/29302, which is listed as 564kB of raw text (no images or anything) and makes for a lot of screen pages in length.
    Memory usage stayed the same, between 79-82%. So it doesn't seem to be caused by available RAM (only).

Killing the game from the background still leaves me with 67% RAM used. Something's up there, too. But that's less important for now, I'd think.

SystemConsole shows me stuff like this:
    May 18 21:05:23 -Air DemonHuntersSagaDungeonHellDragon[17328] <Error>: assertion failed: 12F69: libxpc.dylib + 71768 [B870B51D-AA85-3686-A7D9-ACD48C5FE153]: 0x7d

And what I think is the culprit. The timestamp fits with when I opened the Starwars FAQ as active tab again:
    May 18 21:23:56 -Air SpringBoard[49] <Warning>: Application 'UIKitApplication:com.WaveLightGames.DemonHuntersSagaDungeonHellDragon[0x9f5e]' was killed by jetsam.