Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Can you guys please let me know if you are still running into crashes after the selecting a team in the team selection screen? I am not seeing this happen on my iPhone 5 but I just got a notification from a tester that they ran into it. :(

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    It's weird ... it looks like Apple didn't update the version that is released via Test Flight. One tester downloaded it and got the old version. That explains why it still crashed for him.

Can someone who has downloaded the latest version please post a picture of the battle scene that show the stat sheet of a character? I want to know if Courage and Intimidation values are listed. If not, then Apple has not updated the version for Test Flight despite having approved the last update.

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... another feedback request. I'm thinking of adding random sounds / phrases for the characters to say when the player clicks on them / selects them. Do you guys like that idea or would it get annoying? I'm thinking of 3 to 4 phrases per unit and one of those would play when the unit is selected.

Also, I'm thinking of having one of the characters randomly say something when you start a dungeon and also when you kill all enemies. Something like:

When Level Loads:
    Elf Archer: "Careful everyone, this place looks dangerous"

Battle occurs ....

When the last enemy is killed:
    Pyromancer: "That was tough, let's get out of here before anything else shows up"

Something like that ... I thought it would be a cool bit of immersion and help to give some audio feedback to the player as things are happening.

Thoughts?

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Some good news. I've fixed the bug with range 2+ melee fighters showing 0% to hit chance on the attack summary.

Also, I found a way to stop the action camera from appearing behind walls and things. Now the action camera is more of an over-the-shoulder view and will only appear if there is clear line of sight to see the action. I thought this would be a huge undertaking but ended up being just a few lines of code. :)

Anyone downloaded the new version yet?

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just downloaded (we were out all day), and something is updated.
    Now it says v1.35, and I see Courage on the charsheet, but not Intimidation. Screenshot attached.
    And I got the Testflight notification that a new build is available, so apparently it registered as a new version.

Some intro/outro talk sounds good, everytime you click on hero might be a bit much. It really annoyed me in Baldur's Gate and I switched it off pretty fast.

Attached Files:

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... thanks. It's strange ... I wonder why for one person, Apple provided the earlier version. Perhaps that was just an anomaly.

Can you do me a favour and just create a whole bunch of new parties and do things like go into a level and exit the level and see if it causes any crashes on your device?

Also, as an aside ... I wrote some simple code to place new units on the battlefield and have them switch to the player's faction when the game starts. Seems to work well ... so should be able to have levels where the players encounter friendly units now. :)

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Also, another question ... I'm thinking of adding Intimidation and Courage indicators on the selected Unit's HUD on the bottom left of the screen. That way, players would know immediately if a unit was in danger of failing a morale test.

Regarding your question on Armour vs. Damage Reduction ... they are the same thing. Just inconsistent wording. Need to decide on what's the best word to use.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Sure, be my guest :) Can take a bit until I get around to do that, but I'll check today.

Very nice!

Good plan. In addition to the Unit HUD: *if* you get around to adding unit markers (e.g. green circles for the team) , the circle could change color if a unit panics.

If they are identical, reduce them to one stat? Armour is shorter, so personally I'd prefer that.
    On the other hand, Damage Reduction is more precise and makes it clear what the stat does. Armor doesn't always provide D.R. (Looking at you, D&D) . Ah well, this can always be covered in the helpfile.

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Oh matey...
    The good news is: Creating a new team no longer crashes the game. I tried a few times and could progress into the Dungeon right from team creation.

Now, the bad news:
    Using the "Reset" button on the team creation screen totally wipes ALL your saves. Yup, I just lost my end of Day 4 save :(

This is reproducable:
    During any of the steps, do not use Saveslot 1.
    1) Create new teams in Saveslot 5 and 6 (for example).
    2) Create a new team in Saveslot 4. Do NOT "Continue"!
    3) After adding at least one hero to the team in step 3, hit the "Reset" button.
    4) Complete the team, and hit "Continue".
    5) Enter the Dungeon. The game gets stuck at "Loading 34%" .
    6) Kill the game and restart.
    7) "Load Game" : All savegames are deleted. The one you created on slot 4 in step 3 moved to slot 1.
    Note: Entering the Shop works normally. Only entering the Dungeon after doing "Reset" triggers this behaviour.

!!! TO EVERYONE: DO NOT USE - I REPEAT: DO NOT USE - THE RESET BUTTON ON THE TEAM CREATION SCREEN. THIS WIPES ALL YOUR EXISTING SAVEGAMES !!!

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Holy moly ... that's insane. I had no idea the Reset button was doing anything that could cause this kind of behaviour. I think it just reloads the same level. I'll have to look into exactly what it does ... it's been ages since I did anything with that button.

I tried to reproduce what you showed and I got a different (and equally disastrous) situation. When clicking reset and then continue, my game crashed and when I reloaded the game ... it went to a black screen for around a minute before loading the actual game. Similar to your situation ... all my saved games except the one I just created are gone! Similarly, it get's stuck at 34% when trying to load a level.

Wow ... thank you so much for helping me track this down. This is a critical bug and one I probably would never have found since I rarely use the reset button. However, new players might use the reset button all the time.

First things first ... that reset button is going to disappear. I need some screen real estate to add a place for typing in unique character names for each character anyway so perhaps I can put that in its place. I'll look into the code and see exactly that that button is doing.

Sorry to hear you lost your day 4 save ... but I guess it's a dangerous world out there for a character in an RPG that's going through beta. But just think that their brave sacrifice has probably saved countless other RPG characters from having the same fate once it's release to the world at large. :)

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just looked at the code on the reset button and for some silly reason I had the line:

PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll();

This deletes all saved information ... I think this code was part of the original game template code that I used for this game and I can't believe I never noticed what it was doing. :eek:

12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Not been around on the forums much for a while but good to see your still trucking along with this one.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a fantastic idea. I'm going to work on the unit indicators this weekend. It really shouldn't be too tough to do. Making them switch to yellow or something for panicking and perhaps orange for berserk shouldn't be too hard.

They are one stat ... I just call the same stat different things on different screens and in ability text. Damage reduction is good except it's a bit misleading. Damage reduction implies that it reduces all damage. However, this stat actually only reduces the incoming damage up to the attack's minimum damage level. So an attack with damage 5 - 10 on a dwarf with 100 Damage reduction would still inflict 5 damage. Further, if the attack goes critical, it would inflict (5 - 10) x 2.5 damage, ignoring damage reduction entirely.

Armour is okay but it implies actual armour ... perhaps toughness? Vague but all encompassing. Resilience? I'm definitely going to have explain all this stuff in the tutorial screen when I get to it. The morale / courage / intimidation is complex enough (and will probably get more complex) that there's no way I can explain it without a dedicated section of the game.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Good to see you again. Yep ... this game ended up being a far bigger thing to tackle. I can't believe how much I underestimated the polishing phase of developing an RPG originally. Still, things are looking good for a June release.

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Also working on allowing players to give unique names to their heroes. Those names will appear on the save game slots next to the icons so will help you remember which slot is which.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    How about Damage Resistance for the name?
    As long as the mechanics are explained in a helptext, the name isn't that important. The shorter the better ;)

Ouch...glad you found it, though.

No worries, I'll start again with a slightly different team. For now, I set on the lineup Assassin, Skeleton Champion, Samurai, Centaur, Ranger, Stormseer.
    The major drawback is that it'll take me a while to get back there, so no completing the game over the weekend to get an impression of the final day.

Almost forgot:
    Hhmm ... that would mean that you can only have one attack increasing skill in effect at one time.
    I cannot recall right off the bat how many heroes have this type of skill, only that it is pretty common.
    Plus, if I remember right, there is at least one skill that gives you more than +3 attacks/round.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Oh bummer ... looks like I have to wait for the next build before I start another playthrough.
    The reason: The Archer you "forgot" on Day 1, Stage 1 overwrites one team slot:
    When you complete the stage, she shows up in slot 1. Everyone else gets bumped down one slot, and the unlucky fellow in slot 6 has to leave the team...
    And I really don't want an Archer on my team this time :p

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Valid point ... I'm going to submit another build today then. It'll take time for Apple to approve of course.

It'll have some UI changes and I'll remove that troublesome archer.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Great, thanks a lot! Most likely I'll get the itch and play anyways until the new build is out ;)

20. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Played for a little bit and the crashes seem to be gone.

Camera issues still persist.

My archer has an odd bug where with all equipped items brings her attack to +1. When I take everything off it takes it to either -1 or -2. I'll leave the shop and reequip everything her her attack goes back up to 3. When I enter a map she only gets 1 attack. She's effectively bugged at this point.

I might have to start a new game but I don't understand why it's happening.