Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'll take another look. Won't be an easy change but I'll see what can be done.

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Did a whole bunch of testing with my current version this morning. No crashes at all ... The ios version is finally looking as stable as other platforms. :)

3. #803 AppUnwrapper, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    I am having bad luck with this game on my iPhone 5. :( I created a team and then it crashed. Not sure what's going on.

Edit: Seeing the above comment, should I just wait for the next update?

Also, do you have plans to make the screen rotate for those of us with the outlet to our left? ;)

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #804 Nullzone, May 13, 2015
    I didn't say anything about spamming low-AP skills, now did I? ;)
    Jokes aside, they are level 7, only the Assassin is level 8 already. By now I have enough AP and AP Regen to use expensive skills every round. Here's the actual numbers.
    I actually was surprised that almost all is base stats, and how little comes from items. I forgot what each piece did exactly, and expected it to be the other way around: most from items, only small part innate.

Hero; innate AP, AP min & max regen per round / same with items if they have any :
    Assasin: 39, 37-48
    Duelist: 38, 32-43
    Archer: 35, 28-39
    Ranger: 42, 35-46 / 47, 40-60
    Stormseer: 63, 43-57 / 87, 43-57
    Shadowwitch: 41, 33-46 / 42, 33-48

Here are AP Items I have, Ranger first:
    - Crafted Silver Plate, Level 47 Armor, 4230 Gold, +5 AP, +11 Damage Reduction.
    - Improved Amulet of Dark Hunger, lvl 42 Amulet, 4200 gold, +5 AP RegenMin, +14 AP RegenMax, -5 HP.

Stormseer:
    - Improved Sigil of the High Archmage, Level 48 Amulet, 4800 gold, +24 AP.
    - I actually sold her Improved Tome of the Archmage (Level 40 Shield, 6000 gold, +2 AP RegenMin, +9 AP RegenMax) and replaced it with one I got as loot (which is great for a shield btw, something different and looks really good) : Epic Ice Shards, lvl 40 Shield, 8000 gold, +18% Dodge.

Shadow Witch:
    - Worn Cowl of the Archmage, lvl 16 Cloak, 720 gold, +1 AP, +1 AP RegenMax. It's too cheap to just sell, and I didn't find anything better yet.
    - Damaged Lightning Blade, lvl 37 Weapon, 2200 gold, +1 AP Regenmax, +2% CritChanceMelee.

Sidenote: This shows quite well that the higher level and quality - and thus way more expensive - items have much better stats than the low-end cheap ones.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    This happens sometimes with the current build. If you restart the game, you should be able to load the game with the team already created. From what WaveLight writes, the next build should fix that.

6. It did save my team. Yay! :)

Ok, so I saw people talking about the camera. Is there a way to adjust those settings from within a game? I don't see it in the pause menu. And I'm experiencing what someone else described as long, slow swipes moving the camera quickly, but short, quick swipes moving it slowly. Strange.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    hmmm ... I haven't actually seen what allowing screen rotation does. I'll check and as long as it doesn't do anything too crazy, I'll include that in a future build. As Nullzone mentioned, just load the saved game that you created before it crashed. Luckily the crashes occur after I save progress. Next build does seem to have the crashes fixed.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Go to the options menu and adjust some sliders (zoom speed and pan / rotate speed) in the Gameplay options tab. There are other options too ... you can turn off the action / dynamic camera if you like and enable / disable fog, special effects and extra character details.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... you've gotten further than I have. What level is your team at, by the way? I actually never got to quest 5 in any of my play tests so you'll be breaking completely new ground if you get there. At that stage, I just built the levels like crazy and didn't actually test them. :D

It's interesting to see that AP regeneration goes to a point where players can basically get full AP each turn. I think that will need to change. I'm going to go with the AP regeneration always being 1 to Max AP, which all AP regeneration items just increasing minimum AP regeneration values. So if your wizard had 75 AP and a cloak that gave +10 AP Regeneration, his regeneration would go each turn as 11 - 75.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #810 Nullzone, May 13, 2015
    Should be Stage 3 or 4 on Day 4. The one where
    you fight the Demon Lord, after you rescued the Dwarf Prisoner in the previous stage
    By the way, what happens when,
    in the "Rescue the Prisoner" stage, the Demon and Mages actually complete their ritual
    ? I totally forgot to try that :( This would be a great spot to have a branching storyline, by the way.

And I agree that AP Regen should be a lot more limited, compared to how it is now.
    However, I think that you should get some AP Regen for each level up, too. Even if it's just 1 point for min.Regen per level. Still better than having to rely on items alone.
    Skills are a huge part of the gameplay experience. And while you shouldn't be able to toss them around just to burn through your AP pool each round, only having an innate skill use every few turns is too far on the other end of the scale.

Maybe 1 to min.Regen for each level from 1-5, 2 for 6-10, 3 for 10+ ?
    The highest I got so far for one hero was +3/+3/+4 AP per turn on one levelup (see screenshot). The lowest either nothing or only +1 if I remember right.

Another question:
    What does Sight Range do? I have an item that increases Sight Range, but I don't notice any difference. Nor does the stat show on your sheet. I guess you'll have to go for either larger sheets, or two pages, to get everything on there ;)

Attached Files:

11. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #811 Nullzone, May 13, 2015
    Here's something about items that should be avoided: that the lower-tier/cheaper option is the better one.
    I just replaced my item "Improved Falchion of Battle" (lvl 27 Weapon, 4050 gold, +1 Attack, +8% Critchance Melee) with the Shop item "Worn Falchion of Battle" (lvl 35 Weapon, 1575 Gold, +1 Attack, +8% Critchance Melee): Same stats, for roughly 1/3 of the price.

Here's a suggestion to make higher grade gear more desirable:
    Better gear could give a small increase to Threat/Intimidation. Not much, maybe something along these lines:
    - Every quality grade (as shown with the prefix) above "Normal" gives +1 Threat.
    - Every "renown" grade (the postfix) above "Normal" level gives +1 Threat.
    - Each 10-level bracket past the first gives +1 Threat: A level 1-10 item would give nothing. Level 11-20 gives +1 Threat, 31-40 gives +3, 91-99 yields a hefty +9.

After all, the "Bloodgore Greataxe of Immortal Rage" sounds and looks far more impressive and dangerous than the "Wornout Pencil Sharpener of the Tired Buraeucrat", don't you think?

Judge for yourself which of these looks more threatening to you:
    Exhibit A or Exhibit B ;)

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Message received ... having the level and quality affect the unit's overall intimidation factor is a great idea. Should be do-able ... I'll add an intimidation modifier value to each item and then have that value be used in the character's intimidation value. I do wonder why item level seems to have a higher impact on price than item quality. I'll have to take another look at my item costing formula.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I do plan to add decisions at the end of some future levels that will have implications in future levels. So at the end of the level, instead of just telling them to move onto the next stage, it'll ask a question and then depending on the choice made ... future levels will be different.

Also, I'm thinking of having some level where the speed at which you finish each level will impact what happens in the final level of that quest. For example, racing to rescue a prisoner that might end up being alive or dead depending on how many turns you took to finish the preceding levels in that quest.

I'll probably try a few variations to see which is best. I'll start with going a 1 - max AP first and then try something like your suggestion here. It's a hard thing to judge until you actually play it and it's a very important part of making this game fun to play.

Sight range affects how far your character can see into the dungeon. So if your character's sight range was 10, it wouldn't see an enemy that was out in the open 11 tiles away, for example. The items won't do much though since all player units have a sight of 20 at the moment. I plan to reduce this and see how it goes. Also, at the moment, the AI units have a much lower sight range so I'm also going to see what making their sight range much higher has on the way they play.

14. MechaJohnWayne

Oct 15, 2013
    Trying to test your game but it quits/crashes after character select.

Ipjone6+ 128gb

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    It should still have saved your game so you can load from where it crashed. I believe this crash bug is fixed in the next update.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Also, I don't have an iPhone 6+ for testing. Do you mind taking some screenshots from your device and sharing them here? I have no idea how the GUI scales on the 6+.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #817 Nullzone, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    A more indepth look at the AP items I currently have:

- Worn Cowl of the Archmage, lvl 16 Cloak, 720 gold, +1 AP, +1 AP RegenMax.
    The cheapest item I have, with the absolute lowest stats.

- Damaged Lightning Blade, lvl 37 Weapon, 2200 gold, +1 AP Regenmax, +2% CritChanceMelee.
    Like the Cowl above, almost lowest rung on the ladder.
    Aimed for the Melee Fighter, it's even more restricted than the universally useful Cowl.
    So it's price should actually be lower. Raise the Cowl to 1000 gold, and lower the Blade to 700?

- Crafted Silver Plate, Level 47 Armor, 4230 Gold, +5 AP, +11 Damage Reduction.
    A bit overpowered, low-tier price for a good mid-tier trait (or even high-tier, depending on how high Dam.Red. can go) : +11 Damage Reduction is huge. My lowest value till then was 2. +5AP is the icing on the cake.

- Improved Amulet of Dark Hunger, lvl 42 Amulet, 4200 gold, +5 AP RegenMin, +14 AP RegenMax, -5 HP.
    Very balanced. Low-tier price for solid mid/high-tier ability with drawback.
    On your squishies, where it has the most use early on, -5HP makes a big dent in your survival chances, as you only have ~20HP to begin with.
    Later on, -5HP doesn't mean much any longer, and the item gets a lot more useful.

- Improved Sigil of the High Archmage, Level 48 Amulet, 4800 gold, +24 AP.
    Very good and reliable longterm useful trait.
    Still low-tier price, but brushing against lower mid-tear already, which I see as starting with 5k gold.
    Trait is definitely high-tier: If you have high-AP skills, 24 more still makes a noticable difference, even if you have a very large pool of 75+ AP.

- "Improved Tome of the Archmage" (Level 40 Shield, 6000 gold, +2 AP RegenMin, +9 AP RegenMax)
    - "Epic Ice Shards" (lvl 40 Shield, 8000 gold, +18% Dodge).
    Both very solid mid-tier gear.
    Their statlines are pretty much equal, just with different areas of application.
    So I think their price should be closer together. Maybe 7000 gold for each, meet in the middle?

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #818 Nullzone, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    For Melee heroes, anything above 5-7 attacks becomes a bit pointless. Look at this ;)
    What it doesn't show under Effects, is that she was also pumped with her own +Attack skill. I guess the icon is off the screen to the right.
    Unless I can move into the middle of a very large group, or encounter something with 1000 or so HP, I can never make use of all those attacks.
    For Ranged this would be really neat, though, especially with extreme range. Mixed heroes like the Samurai and Centaur would be my other candidates, depending on the situation.

Oh, and the accumulated damage of the 3 boosts from the Shadowwitch actually killed her next round. I forgot to cast a Heal/Regen spell :p

By the way: What's the difference between Armor and Damage Reduction? I couldn't figure out yet what Armor does.

Attached Files:

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Invites sent out for the latest version. Please download and let me know your thoughts.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    wow ... that's just a silly number of attacks. Agreed it could be fairly useless on a melee fighter that can't teleport all over the place. However, on a shooter or mage, it would just get crazy.

I think I'm going to put a global rule that max number of attacks from abilities cannot exceed 3 or something. That way, piling on Blood Frenzy and other abilities wouldn't result in too many attacks. The alternative just results in too much clicking for a player ... I mean, who wants to really resolve 22 attacks in a single turn?