Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Haha, well I love games, so I might be an addict, so I could give her a go as well.

Wavelightgames, you can count me, just let me know where you'd like me to send my info when the time comes. Game looks great this far, but to be honest just saw this thread so haven't read it all through yet.

2. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    RPG? Check
    Dungeon Crawler? Check
    Warhammer Questesque? Check
    Not Free2Play? Double Check
    Made in Canada? Triple Check

I'm totally sold. I wish you guys the best with this launch and I can't wait to buy your game. May it fair much better than your Leafs...

3. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's really nice of you to say ... thanks so much. Regarding the leafs ... yeah, I doubt it could really do much worse than them. ;)

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Great ... just send me a PM. I'm going to look at exactly how to setup a playtest group in iTunes early next week. Not sure of the process but I'm sure there's an easy way to do it.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I'm really glad it's looking good to you. I agree regarding the sound effects. The sound effects are one of the least developed aspects of the game currently. I need to go through all the characters and abilities and make sure appropriate sound effects are assigned to them. It's tedious work so I've been putting it off but it'll get done.

6. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Soundtrack

The soundtrack is pretty sweet though. Perfect for the atmosphere and sounds really good.

7. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Will it have a cover system like xcom, no cover, half cover, and full cover? Icons representing cover?

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes to all of the above. Cover system, line of sight, fog of war ... All shown visually with icons. I'll try to highlight it in an upcoming video.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I should point out that the cover system is done ... not something I still need to add.

10. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    That's great to hear! Will parts of the environment be destructible or will there be special skills or magic attacks that let you get around cover, but cost highly? Sorry to be a bother, appreciate your time in these forums! I'm not gonna lie, I'm on the halfway mark if this is a instabuy :).

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    At the moment, there isn't destructible terrain. However, there are ways around cover. One is to teleport or move to a position where the cover is no longer between you and the target. Second, there are various abilities that ignore cover or make cover positions untenable.

For example, in the High Elf Archer video, I showed a couple of abilities that ignore cover. The Archer's arrow storm and fire arrow abilities do damage over a wide area and ignore cover as they coming from the sky rather than through a trajectory where the cover would provide protection.

There are also abilities that make staying on a particular position difficult .. therefore forcing units to get out of that cover position. For example, the Witch can summon a poisonous gas cloud onto a specific area and any units (friend or foe) that start their turn on a tile affected by the gas cloud suffer damage. The Pyromancer will also have similar abilities where he can make tiles burning so you could use him to flush out enemies from cover positions.

I may look into destroying cover for chapters 2 or 3. It shouldn't be too difficult but it would require some code changes and I don't want to delay the release of chapter 1 ... especially as there are ways around cover as I mentioned above.

12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I either forgot about this game or never noticed it but it sounds really good to me. I loved Warhammer Quest and love tbs RPG games epically in a D&D fantasy world.

13. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    this is sounding and looking epic! should go right at the top 3 of my list, up with FFTactics and XCom! :)

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    thanks guys ... glad you're liking.

I think I'm going to need to rethink the name. Looks like "Demon Hunters" is already the name for a pen and paper RPG game. I don't want to risk any issues down the road so I think I'll change the name. Can you give me your ideas?

Right now, I'm thinking of calling it "Heroes and Demons" so as to imply that players aren't restricted to the typical heroic character choices. They can form parties of typical villains such as vampires, witches, orcs, minotaurs, etc.

15. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i think you should be a bit more original in the name, to stand out. There are a ton of
    demons and dungeons, dungeons and heroes, devils and heroes, dragons and devils, etc etc..

Especially right now, there are 2 games this week Dynasty of Dungeon and Devils and Demons. I even have trouble remembering wich is wich. I hope you see what i mean, don't be a dime a dozen.

As for suggestions, look at Wayward Souls and Banner Saga. Give 2 words to your name, 1 of the 2 should be from a popular game in consoles/pc.

16. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    You had an early video titled Demon Bane (maybe that was the area, but it sounds pretty cool)... regardless, I agree that Heroes and Demons sounds a bit generic.

17. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    The Depths Within

18. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yeah, Heroes and Demons does sound a bit generic (and a bit too similar to Heroes and Castles).

I like the name Demon's Bane but not sure how well it works in context.

What about Demon League of America?

19. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Not sure about the story context, but maybe Hell Hunters or Demon Vanquisher....lol I'm no good with titles.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I like it but I'm not sure it would work for the game. While this game is a dungeon crawler, I plan the next installment to be set above ground. I'm thinking the plot will involve warriors fighting in a medieval town destroyed by a demon that crashed down (or perhaps was summoned by some careless mage). I think the underlying theme of these types of games will involve having Demons as the central protagonists.

I agree that Heroes and Demons is too generic. I'm thinking I might go back to the name I gave it in the early state, which was Demon Bane or Demon's Bane. When I google for Demon's Bane, I get what looks like some unfinished fantasy novel. Might go with Demon Bane in that case.