Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I didn't actually change any of the code ... I just made the default values slow and then add to them whatever is the value from the options screen. Can you let me know what values you think are good from the options sliders and I'll use that input as the defaults going forward?

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
  3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... yeah, I like that change too.

Yes ... I didn't get around to updating the code for that text for all characters. That'll be fixed in the next version. I'm going to create new weapon types such as great weapons (2 handed), dual weapons (2 small blades that occupy both slots), arcane items (carried by wizards in the off-hand instead of a shield) and so forth. Will then go through all the characters and update the text and stuff to reflect those changes and also the items in the item database.

Awesome ... glad that's fixed.

Cool ... thanks for feedback. Try adjusting the settings in the options screen and let me know what you think are the best settings. I'll then set those as the defaults in the next patch.

Regarding boundaries for certain levels, I can probably just increase the boundary on certain levels. Shouldn't be too hard.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I think if I can get the patrol levels added, then I'm free to crank up difficulty a bit on the main quest levels. Essentially, if a player finds it too difficult ... he or she can either lower difficulty in the options OR can just go on a few patrols to level up their characters or get some gold for some shiny new equipment that will then help them tackle the quest level.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Nothing to apologize for ... the more feedback, the better!

Yeah ... this is something I struggle with. The way the action camera works is pretty complex and I've had to layer it on top of the usual GUI items. However, I did try adjusting it earlier to try and get the damage text to show on the action camera but it had some other issues. I think the shield / cover icons weren't displaying correctly on the action cam. There was no ideal solution that I could come up with at the time.

The other issue with the action camera is that sometimes a wall will get in the way and prevent you from seeing anything. That's why I've put the action camera as an option in the settings. Some may find it irritating and can just turn it off if they prefer.

Is this on an iPad or iPhone? I made adjustments to make it bigger but only tested on an iPhone and not on the iPad. My bad....

That seems a bit odd ... I'll look into it. I might have allowed for a low chance of a critical even if the critical chance is zero but I don't recall. I'll take a look at the code again. Could be a bug.

Glad you like the combat text improvements. I think they make a big difference.

For critical multiplier, it's 2.5x normal damage AND a critical hit completely ignores armour / damage absorption / damage reduction. Critical hits are meant to be very bad for you and represent a blow struck where there was no armour in place.

In case you can't tell, I really need to go back through the game and have all stats be named consistently. I have HP and Life and AP and Action Points and stuff like that all over the place. So I need to do a find / replace and make it all consistent.

6. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    @Wavelight
    Question for you. Does your camera panning work on acceleration values or have acceleration values?

I'm going to backpedal about my assumption with the variable camera height, I may have gotten it wrong.

The faster I move my fingers when I'm panning and rotating the map, the slower the actually panning and rotation is. If I move my fingers a millimeter everything moves super fast or is hyper sensitive. Why is that? Is there actually acceleration values built into the camera except with reverse values programmed into the game for camera control?

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Ouch, that's a nasty one. I expected double damage max, and *maybe maybe* armor ignore (which I consider luxury for a crit already). Completely bypassing ALL defenses is brutal.

8. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    @Wavelight

I'm playing on an iPad Air 1 for the majority. Have a 6 plus too if you needed something tested especially for it.

First screenshot shows the new UI stat screen in battle with description cutoff.

IMG_0139.jpg

2nd Screenshot shows stats being messed up. All items unequipped to show number of attacks dipping into the negatives.

IMG_0138.jpg

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, on some levels, I put the initial deployment area of the party as off the screen. I'll fix that on each level where that occurs. Only way to see them on those levels is to zoom out.

[/quote]

The phone receiver is just how the font shows round brackets. I'll change to either square brackets or remove them entirely. It's on the to do list.

I don't understand your comment on max HP / AP. I didn't remove anything ... just scaled the whole stat sheet to be bigger. Can you explain?

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks! It's not that big a deal, just unusual.

Those values didn't show before the update either, sorry that I wasn't clear enough. Let's see if that's better:
    On the charsheet, I would like to see a line saying "Current / Max HP : 24 / 40" . Or something like that.
    Not that important for AP, but "Current / Max AP : 10 / 20" would be nice to have if it still fits on the sheet.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Okay, I think I get what you're referring to.

I'm running out of space on the stat sheet so I really don't want to add another couple of lines for max HP and max AP. Since the portrait is there on the stat sheet with the HP and AP circles, is the problem just that the background of the circles is not different enough from the circle colour (blue or red)? So if I add a bit more contrast between those colours, would that allow you to see the current HP / AP and how that compares to the max HP / AP?

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Yes, that's it.
    That definitely would work. Some brighter red and blue, so you can easily see how much of the circle is empty already.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Just for fun, I started a "Dwarven Patrol" style game:
    4 Dwarf Warriors as squad, one Golem as heavy infantry, and a Stonepriest as patrol leader (their description says "military veteran", good fit for the role).
    Look at that, *everyone* leveled up right on stage 1.

Question: is it intentional that the Stonepriest's Geyser keeps spouting lava after somebody stepped on it?

Attached Files:

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    When creating this party, did you select an existing slot and overwrite an old save game?

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The geyser continuing to explode after it is stepped on is a bug. Will fix.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Indeed I did. And I have a bunch of cloaks to prove it ;)
    I'll try again on a fresh slot, see if they all level up in stage 1 again. I assumed that was from several turns of skill use. But I guess you imply that XP from the old party also carry over?

Don't know how you setup your savefiles. If you can't fully delete a slot, you are doing it wrong...

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I don't think I took a smart approach with save files. I used the standard method in Unity only to learn way later that no one should ever do that because it's just terrible. Too late to fix it now but it's okay ... I'll fix the bugs in the saving. It works fine except that I have to remember to go back and add code to delete every single save variable whenever I use a new one.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Found a nice new tactical action, again one to increase survivability:
    Deck the Ranger out with tank and optionally +move items. At start of stage, cast your defense buffs like the Stormseer's Windspirit first. Then rush the Ranger into a group of enemies and use Ravens for an instant "can't touch this" round or three.

Worked very well against the first Necromancer I encountered. My Duelist killed her on round 2, after that it was just mop-up.
    With my normal approach a hero died on round one twice, because you get so much return fire that a crit or two are almost bound to happen.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Short feedback on my Dwarven party:
    Without any ranged attacks, and no mass (de)buffs (yet), things are a lot harder than with the Girlscouts.
    I just finished stage 3, and needed 3 tries. First and second try, several Dwarves died, because I miscalculated on how much healing I have available.
    The Golem I gave 2 +1 Move items and a +1 attack item to. I hope that he will make a bigger impact on the next stage, with 5 move and 2 attacks.

And another request:
    Enemy units pick up gold in the stages, which is then lost as far as I can tell. When you kill them, can they drop the gold, so you get another chance to pick it up?

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #700 Nullzone, May 9, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Looks like my Dwarven Patrol is stuck:
    I am on the stage where you encounter the first spider. After getting my butt handed a few times, the game now always crashes at the start of turn 2.
    My Girlscouts game still works fine, "just" the usual crash now and then.
    I noticed that fleeing from battle is pretty prone to causing crashes. The stage before the first spider always crashed when I hit "Flee", same goes for the first spider stage.

Playing with only melee is hard. Where the Girlscouts breezed through everything so far, the poor Dwarven lads get their butts kicked all across the dungeon. Could be that the party is too one-sided, of course, with 4 Dwarven Fighters.

I'll try another all-melee party, this time a more mixed one. I want to try the Elven Paladin, the Giant, and the Samurai. Centaur looks interesting, too. Maybe the Ent for Healing, and the Gnome: While he breaks the "melee-only" approach, I really want to see what he plays like.