Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I was trying to play through some levels and found a bug with an ability for the Archer. I tried to use Ice Arrow and it would cast the ability then all the enemies had a solid red hex under them and I'm unable to do anything after that. I can't end the turn, make an attack, select another person.

2. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    More little notes.

I figured why the sensitivity of map scrolling is off. The sensitivity doesn't maintain the constant scale as you zoom in an out. if you zoom right out it's almost a 1 to 1 movement factor. IE: place a finger on a door and scroll and the door will still be under your finger.

Zoom in and it's super sensitive, scrolling at the speed when the camera is way back but with the camera almost at "ground" level.

Another bug is if you're hitting something with a 2 range melee weapon and you're hitting from 2 spots out, the Chance to hit and damage values are 0.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Confirming that one, you beat me to it by a few minutes ;)
    Oddly enough, I actually got one hit (out of 5 or so) in (at 2 or so damage) even with 0 to-hit chance.

First impression of Zerovoid's team (Archer, Golem, Knight, Magehunter, Minotaur, Pyromancer), after playing stage 1:
    - Gosh, these guys do have a ton of HP, compared to my girls. Minotaur has 30, Golem has a whopping 50. For comparison, Stormseer started out with 12, I think.
    - On the downside, they actually get hit a lot, so the higher HPs are pretty much needed to stay alive.
    - Golem: S...L...O...W... , and that spells "before I get anywhere the party is over already". Maybe that becomes less of a handicap in later levels, when you have more enemies closer by.
    - Minotaur: For his second skill: 15% chance to get stunned for 3 rounds AND take a truckload of damage? Thanks, I'll pass. Way too dangerous compared to the 15% failure chance without any nasty side-effects that other skills have.

4. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Oh I should post my party up at the moment too, haven't gotten too far yet though.

My party has a knight, duelist, elven paladin, mage killer, archer and storm seer.

Nothing particularly special about the party that I can think of at the moment.

I haven't run into a multi hit weapon yet so I can't really comment on it.

I've got a suggestion to make as well. When you don't have the AP for an ability, I reckon the icon should be greyed out instead be turning into a bunch of boxes with X's. What do you guys think? I suspect it might sort of screw the way abilities are set up as I assume as you level up and get more AP, the intention was that they become unlocked and visible.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Dunan: Greying out skills you can't use due to lack of AP sounds good, seconding that.

@Wavelight:
    So I forked over 6.5k of my 7k gold to get a "+1 move" cloak for my Golem (which was a mistake in itself, as now I could not afford that nice multi-attack weapon that came up at next shop visit) .
    Unfortunately the cloak only works on the Witchhunter. On the other 5 heroes it has no effect and gets dropped back to inventory when you enter a stage (can be seen when you return via e.g. flee, then it's not equipped but back in inv) .
    Also, it has the "the item shows on all characters but only one actually has it equipped" bug.

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Zerovoid: Your team seems quite tanky to me. I accidentally fired off the Pyromancer's AND the Archer's AoE skill into my guys, resulting in hefty damage on top of what they already ate from the monsters.
    But surprise, everyone was still standing and survived the level. I did something similar with my "girlscouts" once too; that went a lot worse, as in "lots of dead bodies on the wrong side".

7. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    @Nullzone I just ran into the same problem with a cloak I bought. It was a cloak that could be equipped by all but stats only worked on my knight. My cloak was called "Crafted Cloak of the Grand Master".

8. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The way the code is written, I would have to create a bunch of greyscale icons for each ability ... which isn't feasible. I also do want to "hide" the abilities completely as they should be revealed as the character levels up. I know it's not perfect because you can still read the ability when you touch and hold it to bring up the tool tip. Still, it's a simple solution that works for now. I'll see if I can make icons greyed out in another way but not sure how I would do it at the moment.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    There was a bug with the cloak and belt slots in the Shop screen that I've fixed in my version. There might still be a bug with the way it applies the stats. Sounds like stats for the cloak slot are only applied to the first member of your party. I'm guessing the Knight is the top button in the inventory screen. Can you confirm as it will help me debug on my end.

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I think you're right in that multi-attack items are probably overpowered. I could do 2 things ... one would be to increase the cost of any items that increase attack number stats. Then I would also modify the random item generation at the end of each level to reduce the odds of giving a bonus attack item. Not sure how complex that would be ... would have to look at the code in both places. The second option would be to just remove items that grant extra attacks and just have items that increase attack damage, attack hit chance, attack critical chance, etc. but not actually add more attacks. This could be done without touching existing code ... which is a big benefit.

Which do you think would be the better option?

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The way some template skills work (like the Ice Arrow) is to hit enemies in a certain template. The Ice Arrow fires in a direct line in a specific direction. So when you press the icon, all enemies are highlighted with a red hex but you have to actually touch the screen in one of the directions to see the template for the attack appear. Did you try touching the screen? It seems like you must have tried that and it is strange that you weren't able to touch the end turn button or the menu button. I haven't run into this issue on my side ... can you try again and let me know if happens regularly or was just a one-off?

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I've got the pan / rotate speed changed to be slow and will tie it to a slider in the option screen. Right now the zoom speed is still too fast and I haven't figured out why changing the value that I expected is not changing the zoom speed. I'll look into it more and figure out the issue and will put it as a slider option in the options screen.

I've noticed this too. I think it's actually just a bug in the hit chance that is displayed in the info box and not in the underlying code. Although it shows a 0% chance to hit, I find I hit fairly often with those attacks anyway. It's on my list of things to look into and fix.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I think dodge chance on some of the characters (Assassin in particular) can get too high and I'll need to rope that in a bit.

Agree on the Minotaur's penalty being far too harsh. What I want is to have a high risk / reward character that can pump up his stats (attack numbers, hit damage, etc.) at a low AP cost but with the risk that if you do it too much, he will become stunned and not able to do anything. I think I'll just make the stun / damage suffered last one turn only and not 3. Not sure what I was thinking with having it last 3 turns ... that's just silly.

I'm going to rejig some of the Golem's abilities. His theme is that of a slow, heavy fighter that regenerates health for free and can sacrfice speed for power / health / etc. His other abilities are also mage-like and similar to the Pyromancers ... so as he progresses in levels, he will be able to damage his enemies at range with fire / volcano spells while he moves into melee. Also, later turns, you're going to find yourself absolutely swamped with enemies or facing enemies with 400+ hit points so you won't be able to cut through the enemies in the first couple turns anyway. :D

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    This is a valid point. Dodge chance is useful only when the attack allows a chance to dodge. This includes normal attacks but not all abilities like fireball and area effect spells. At the moment, there is only one AI unit (Ratmen Shaman) that can do an area effect spell (Poison Wind or something). However, I plan to add a LOT more of those types of abilities to the AI units. That will likely spike up the difficulty so I'm not too worried if the game is a bit easy at the moment.

Hit points are always useful ... for all types of attacks and also allow you to survive friendly splash damage. Something the Pyromancer dishes out in spades (that's kind of his theme)

15. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I'm about 5 or 6 missions in now. I'm at a stage where it's crashing constantly and the equipped items and stats playing funny.

I've been stuck in a loop of crashing, coming back and finding out that my +1 attack equipment isn't actually equipped despite actually being in the slot. Sometimes putting it back in and out will reset it and give me back 2 attacks with my archer, at one point it even deducted the +1 attack while my attack was sitting at 1 leaving me with 0 attacks after I removed the item.

Seems like something with the way it's crashing seems to mess up equipped items and stats. Seems to be a never ending cycle of me going into a map, finding I'm down 1 attack, leaving the map and equipping and crashing again at the map and having stat problems again.

Experienced an occasional where one cloak was duplicated into every party member's cloak slot as well.

Currently stuck on a mission where spiders have shown up for the 2nd time. There are 3 spiders on the map with Ratmen.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's worrying. Can you tell me exactly which level it is? What enemy are present and what was in the previous level? When exactly is it crashing? When you load the level, when you click the Start battle button?

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm a little confused here ... how are you accessing your inventory during battle? The button should only appear after you've killed the enemies in the level. Are you making these inventory switching in a battle level after having killed the enemy or in the shop screen?

18. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    It's about the 5th mission in. it's the 2nd level to have spiders appear in the game itself.

I'm access my inventory either from freshly loading a save slot and going through the shop or after I find that I can't make 2 attacks with my archer, I flee the battle and go through the shop again to access the inventory. The crash will happen randomly through the map, anywhere from the start of the map to the 3rd turn. I haven't made it past a 3rd turn yet.

19. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Difficult question, let me think about that for a while...
    My first reaction (without thinking it through) is "Nope, I like my multi-attacks (M-A). Gives me a chance to actually hit something."

When you level-up, do (some or all) heroes get more attacks, better to-hit chance, etc.?
    That would make a huge difference already, if M-A stuff is incredibly useful later on as well, or "only nice to have".
    Depending on the answer to the above, maybe limiting M-A items to one additional attack per round could work.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hmmm ... interesting. What is the item that gives extra attacks to your archer? Is it a cloak or belt? I know those slots had bugs in them that I've fixed.

The crash bugs happen much less frequently in my build ... only had it happen twice in many, many play sessions in the past 3 days. So hopefully, when that next update is release, the game won't crash any more for you. Still, I have no idea why those crashes were happening in the first place so can't really say with confidence that they will be gone. Can you remind me what device you're testing on?