Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks gents.

I haven't actually played it through all the way. The initial release has around 25 levels ... 5 Quests, each with 5 - 6 encounters / battles. I've played through to almost the end of Quest 4. Some battles can be played through in about 5 - 10 minutes ... these are a few of the early ones. As you get into quest 2 and onwards, the battles are a lot bigger and I'm finding that a larger battle lasts for around 20 - 30 minutes unless you are able to do something awesome like cast a powerful damage dealing spell on a group of closely clustered enemies.

However, I'm planning to add another 10 Major Quests to tell the full story of this game. These will all be in gradual updates after release. Adding a new level to a game takes me about an hour to two hours, depending on how complex it is and how many new enemies I'm creating for it so I think the updates will be regular and as long the game doesn't completely bomb, it should be no problem to stick to this approach. Adding levels and new enemies doesn't require me to touch any code so there really shouldn't be any complications there.

As an aside, since I was able to create the full 24 character classes on initial release ... I'm planning to add a week 1 update that will add a 25th character. He'll be the Dwarf Dragon Hunter class. An unarmored but tough-as-nails dwarf fighter that delivers few but very powerful attacks and has a penchant for throwing axes. :)

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Okay, looks like the upload and validation all worked. Version 1.28 has been uploaded to Test Flight and has been submitted to Apple for Testflight Beta review. If it passes that, then I believe users will get the download links ... not really sure how it works.

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I just checked, and Testflight says "you are not testing any games currently. To accept an invitation tap the link in the invitation email." I guess those get send automagically when a build is available, to anyone you added to your test roster.
    Wait and see... ;)

Sidenote: Apple is even reviewing beta builds now? Talk about overkill...

4. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Based on the last 2 betas, an email was generated indicating the app was in testflight. But also this email could have been generated by the developers to the testflight email list for the app.

So probably wouldn't hurt to mention here when approved.

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Status has changed from Waiting For Review to "In Review" ... I guess that's a good thing. Hopefully soon.

I'm finding that the game does still crash occasionally at a few specific spots. Seems to be a Unity thing as others in the Unity forum are reporting. However, it seems to be pretty rare on the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6.

It's also running on my first gen iPad Mini with the reduced graphics options. Not sure how stable it is but I am at least able to open level one and do a few things and exit it. Haven't tried anything more intense than that on this device.

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Got approved this morning. So I've added emails of those that reached out to me to the test flight and have sent out invites.

Please download and let me know your thoughts. I'm eager to spot any bugs, get feedback on difficulty, identify overpowered abilities, underpowered abilities and so forth.

Also ... there's a bug in this version that allows you to steal from the shopkeeper. I've fixed it in my local version but virtual trophy to the first person that figures out how to do it. :)

Also ... those that actually provide me with written feedback will have their names in the credits as play testers if they want. Credit where credit is due.

7. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I've managed to download and test the first stage or so. Did experience a couple of crashes in the first few screens.

Anyway I did send some feedback already via email so I don't think I need to repeat it here.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #508 Nullzone, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Works ;) I got the email and downloaded from Testflight.
    Starting it up on my Air (iOS 8.3) works fine, too.
    And found the first - minor - issue already:
    It runs "upside down" and does not turn.
    "Up" is where the cover docks, so the home button is to the left: then you can use the cover to prop up the iPad at the back.
    When I use it like this, DemonHunters displays flipped 180 degrees and does not turn around.

9. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Got a slight problem now. My last email bounced because your mailbox is full.

I'll list some problems I'm having.

Camera and map scrolling sensitivity is way too high. needs to be toned down a lot.

combat / damage text is very small. I only managed to read about 1 out of 30 of the scrolling text.

Holding a finger on a ability during combat to get a tooltip and releasing your finger while on the icon will actually activate the ability. It needs to not do that if the tooltip is displayed.

Playing on an Ipad Air 1.

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... I'll update those items. I think for the tool tip, if you release your touch off the button, it will remove the tool tip without activating the ability. Most abilities are a 2 step process where you select the ability and then select the target. You can cancel a two step ability by clicking the ability button again. On android or windows phone, you can cancel by clicking the back button.

Please post your other thoughts as i didn't get the email.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Did you try the pinch to zoom and two finger drag to rotate the view?

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I think I have it set to just standard landscape left format. I'll see what setting rotation does for it. No idea how how that will be handled.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Seconding that. I was flying all over the place too. Ideally, turn the default value down, and offer a menu setting to adjust it. This includes pinch/drag, not just moving around.

Also seconded. Almost all text - except the character description/"biography" - is so small it's almost unreadable. Worst is during combat, e.g. damage numbers.

This doesn't always happen. A few times I could view the info, and not trigger the ability. No idea yet what makes the difference, though. A dedicated "Close" button on the info screen would be better, I think.

I had a crash right after selecting the heroes for my party.
    The .IPS oddly enough is empty (first time I see this), so I cannot send you any details :(

The Samurai model's face looks pretty strange to me, more like a RIFTS Dogboy than a human.

"Abzug in der Kuer" (=minus points in the freestyle part, a German saying) for all the naked ladies. While I like to see naked flesh (look up Louis Royo) , I am thoroughly tired to see nothing else in fantasy games. Too late to change the models, I guess...

14. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    This happens when it's a one click ability as opposed to needing to target something. IE. heal all those within 5 spaces of the character vs Damage a single target.

I also noticed some awkward wording and grammar with some of the text in the bios and abilities but I suspect that's something you may leave till last.

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Example for a typo:
    The shopkeeper's introduction: "pittance", not "pitence".
    Maybe someone can create a Google doc (or such) where we can collect typos and wording/grammar issues. (I don't have a Google account, or I'd do it myself; just checked Pastebin, but that needs an account as well.)

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks guys ... This feedback is awesome. Can't respond yet properly as I'm in a conference call. Will do soon. Please keep it coming.

17. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Sadly no email. Did look in trash and not there either. But we had this problem before...:(

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    For the zoom / pan / rotate speeds, it's all controlled by a couple of variables that i can switch to be player preferences. So I'll add a slider or something in the gameplay options screen that will allows to control the speed of those values.

For the Samurai, he suffered a bit from being overly compressed. I got a bit too zealous with the optimization there. The problem is that if I reduce the compression for mobile platforms for this face, it will increase the polygon count on the rest of him and he's a high-polygon model. There should be an easy solution though as that model has a samurai face mask that I hide for performance reasons. I can just enable that face mask and it will cover up his ugly face without affecting the rest of the model. Slight performance penalty but not a noticeable one.

For grammer and spelling, just make note of it here on this thread. I'll go through the thread and make the corrections at a later date.

For the ability buttons, if you hold them down to read the tool tip, they don't activate until you release the hold. If you release the hold while still hovering over the button .. it will initiate the ability. If you move your finger to be off the button and then release the hold, it will not initiate the ability.

I will scale up the combat text on mobile platforms. That's an easy fix. Not sure about other parts of the text ... it's a fine balance because if I make it big for the phone, it's often too big for the tablet and desktop views and so I have to try to find a compromise. Combat text should be an easy fix though so I'll start there.

The random crashes on transitioning from one screen to another are a Unity 5 game engine bug. I'm going to submit a bug report to them about it and hopefully they'll fix it on their end before release. Nothing else I can do about them but they are fairly rare on my test devices so hopefully not a big issue. Also progress is saved before the transition so when they occur, you don't actually lose anything.

Regarding the skimpiness of female attire on some models, I agree ... it's not my personal preference. I'm trying to go for a more dark fantasy theme and the skimpy clothes go against that. However, I don't really have a choice as I'm using assets developed by others on license and can't modify them myself. The asset creator for the Elf Archer and Elf Sorceress (who are probably the worst offenders) did say that he'd provide me with updated textures for them that will cover up more skin. No idea when that will happen but if he does make them, I'll push them out as an update.

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Do you mind signing up for Test Flight with a non-yahoo email? I have a feeling that's the issue.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Has anyone uses the shop or inventory yet? It's an area that I think still needs some work to make easy to use on a phone screen. Inventory is accessible when you kill all enemies on a level.