Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, it works with the ipad mini. However, due to memory constraints, only 6 characters are available for older devices at the moment. I'll try to get this fixed once I fix the other bugs.

2. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    no problem bro..
    i'll still buy your game to support you
    amazing dev that give us regular feedback :)

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... though I think I can still implement a way that will allow someone with a lower memory device to use all characters. At the moment, if I load a single character select screen that has all 20 characters as options ... it will crash on an older device. However, what I can do is put the 20 characters into pre-assigned teams like "humans", "elves", etc. and then have the player choose one of those teams rather than choosing among all 20 characters. That way, I only have to load 6 characters into memory and the game won't crash. This will only be on older devices ... newer ones will have all 20 loaded in memory and will be able to pick and choose any weird combination of characters.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi guys,

Quick update. I've spent the past week or so trying to debug the weird bug where characters don't respond to player input randomly at the start of some levels. I'm still no closer to understanding what's causing it ... despite hours of debugging. I've taken whole sections of my code out to try and diagnose the issue. It's seriously driving me to drink. :(

Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging away at it. The problem is that the issue most likely exists in the code for the tile / hex grid. However, for that component, I'm using another developer's code and I'm using an out of date version at that. As I didn't write the original code, it's very hard to debug and because I'm using an out of date version, I can't get support from the original developer. So if all else fails, I may have to upgrade that component to the latest version and see if that solves it. Doing that though would be a major delay on the release and would likely push the release by several months as many things would need to be rebuilt. :(

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted. I'm going to keep plugging away at it. Merry Christmas!

5. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Happy Holidays!

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi guys ... I think there might just have been a christmas miracle! I made a change (or rather undid a change I made about a month ago) related to how the level ends and it seems to have fixed that weird issue with characters not responding to player input. I'm not really sure why but it seems to be fixed. I played the first five levels on my iPhone 4S without running into that error. Before I made that change, it would always have that error pop up on level 4 ... but now it loaded level 4 and level 5 without any issues. :)

I'm hoping that was the issue and I can now continue on with finishing the game. I really, really hope this works but it'll be several more days of testing before I'm sure it worked or not.

7. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    There's no such thing as miracles, it happened because you work hard on it :)
    you dont take a break during holiday?
    wish everything go as planned :)

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #328 WaveLightGames, Dec 26, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
    Thanks .... working a bit in the holidays but took a few days off for Christmas to spend with family.

Back at it now. Quick update, I've done a fair bit of testing and I haven't run into the bug with characters not responding to player input at the start of levels on my iPhone 4S. I changed the code for handling how a level ends. Now, instead of the level ending when the last enemy is killed, the players actually have to kill all the enemies and then move one of their members to an exit tile. This exit tile is just in front of the door that exits the room. When the last enemy is killed, the door opens automatically and a small special effect appears on the tile that the players have to move to in order to end the level. The benefits of this is that it allows players to collect any gold in the room before leaving. Right now, gold picked up in a dungeon doesn't actually do anything but it will be an important way to collect gold so I wanted the player to have a chance to pick up any gold before leaving a room.

This change also seems to have fixed the bug ... perhaps in the old design, some thing wasn't ending properly in a particular level. It's still a big mystery to me. I also noticed that on low memory devices, the game would crash if the player touched the screen when the action camera is on to show an up close view of an ability or attack. I think it's just low memory devices but not really sure. So for now, I've disabled the action camera from turning on for low memory devices. The end result is that the game seems now very stable. I was able to play the first 8 levels continuously without running into any crashes or major bugs. :)

Going to do more testing and tweaking. iTunes Connect will be back up on Dec 29th so I'll put up a new version that will have all of these fixes in them.

9. Jim Shorts

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Awesome! Can't wait!!

10. Ekinnoxx

Ekinnoxx Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Cool !!
    Waiting to test :)

11. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Great... Not long then :)
    Lol yeah... What marines did you like?
    That would be awesome if you do that... It will be the best 40k game out I'm sure

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I liked the Minotaurs Chapter mostly ... the idea of an enforcer chapter under the control of the Lords of Terra and used to enforce their will on other chapters (loyalist and renegade) really appealed to me. I also liked the Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion on the Chaos side. My space marine chapter are called the Emperor's Lions and are an enforcer chapter like the Minotaurs. In fact, they have the same red / gold colour scheme of the Minotaurs ... but just with Lion emblems. A bit like a mix between the Astral Claws and Minotaur chapters.

Anyway, back on topic. I just confirmed another bug that was reported to me. On the second room of the second quest (battle with some goblins and two ogres), the screen goes black when the level ends on a device. I'm not sure why ... it doesn't do this when I run the game on my computer in my game development tool. I'm looking into it ... very weird bug.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Quick update. Fixed some more minor bugs. Will submit a new version tomorrow for playtesters.

14. sallysmile

sallysmile Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I like this graphic, though seems a little bit dark. Do we need to pay a lot in this game for the level up?

15. Cherway

Cherway Active Member

Dec 24, 2014
    Hello. Do you plan to add multiplayer of some kind? Or maybe it is already there? Thanks

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I'm going to go through the levels and adjust lighting. I want to make the game a bit brighter and add some more colour but still keep the dark / sinister atmosphere. Currently, it does appear just too dark on iOS devices.

Regarding payment, ... it'll just be a one-time pay game. Pay 2 or 3 dollars and you have the game. DLC's and updates will also be free. No payment to increase levels or anything like that.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    As a later update, I should be able to add a team duel arena where players use pre-built characters to fight each other. However, these will be hot-seat multiplayer ... two players playing each other but on the same device. I don't know the first thing about multiplayer coding so I'd have to learn that first before making it a multiplayer game. :eek:

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi guys ... build 1.22 is being reviewed by the iTunes Store for playtesting. I will send an update once it's approved and available for download.

19. Jim Shorts

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Personally, multiplayer is not that important. I'd rather pay for the core game and then pay in-app for more content.

20. Ekinnoxx

Ekinnoxx Member

Dec 19, 2014

A good and interesting solo game is always better than a bad multi ...
    Waiting for the new update :)