Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    Just send me an email with the test flight link

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Looks like I left you out by mistake. I just added you so you should get an invite. Let me know if you don't receive it.

3. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    I got it thank's
    So far I am loving it.
    But I wished the enemies didn't show up at the begging of the match which will make the game more interesting, intense

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... glad you're liking it. Can you explain a bit more? There is a line of sight system so not all the enemy are visible on all levels. Enemies behind walls aren't visible, for example. I am thinking of reducing the sight range drastically so that players won't be able to see distant enemies after a certain distance. Also, later levels have more enemies appearing from doors / exits so that tends to add to the suspense, a bit.

Quick update, I think (and I'm honestly not sure) that I might have fixed the bug where player characters don't respond to user input at the start of the level. I need to test it more as it's a bug that only happens on actual devices and not in my development engine. However, that annoying bug where items change types seems to have re-appeared .... aargh. :mad:

5. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    You know in a horror movie the darkness is key.
    It's not a lien of sight you should worry about but, of making the environment so horrifying.
    Making the player feel like he is at a disaventage.
    Add lava, add death gas, or add torture scenes in the back ground.
    Add screams,
    And with that the player will feel like he is against a fearless, and roughness ennemy

6. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Just booted it up. The UI is much much much too small on iPhone

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback. I can rescale the GUI elements via code. Which items do you think should be increased in size for the iPhone? Also, which iPhone are you using? 4S, 5 or 6?

I have a 4S so I'm going to try and get it working on that and see what it looks like.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Got it working on my old iPhone 4S. Seems to be pretty good to me but I'll scale the GUI up on those screens as much as I can. I actually scale down the GUI when it plays on an iPad so scaling it up for an iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 should be easy. I don't think scaling will be required for the 6 or 6+.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Those are good points. I'm going to try to add more horror / suspense elements as I build out more levels. I'll add more corpses, blood stains and such. I'll also play around with ambient horror noises / music.

10. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Playing on the 5, glad to hear you've got the UI scaling working.

Really like the range of heroes to choose from, gonna spend some more time with it before I say anything more. I do like the cover system though

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Did you run into the same issue where at the start of some levels, the player characters don't respond to user input?

12. Jim Shorts

Jim Shorts Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Day 1

So right now is only one dungeon available? Day one?

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I did once with one character, never with all.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Nope ... there are three 4 major quests (4 days in the journal).

Each major quest has 4 to 6 encounters / dungeon maps ... usually ending in a boss encounter. Total of 22 or 23 levels so far. I'm going to add a further major quest in chapter 1 and try to bring the total number of levels to 30 for chapter 1. I'm also going to add another 10 or so random encounter maps that players can use to grind for XP / Items if they want.

When you finish a map, it saves your progress. If you exit and go back to the camp and click on Quests, you'll see the same Day / Major Quest dialog box but it'll jump to the current active level within that Day / Major Quest.

Does that make sense? If it's not intuitive, any suggestions on how to change it?

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Quick update ... I re-wrote the magic item / equipment loading and saving code and initial tests are very promising. It seems to be working nicely without items randomly transforming into other items. I'm really hoping this works.

I also think I fixed the other major bug of player characters not responding to input at the start of a level. I say "think" because it's a weird bug and I'm honestly not sure what's causing it. However, it doesn't appear to happen on my test devices after making some changes so I'm hoping it's fixed. :confused:

Will try to push out another update today that includes these fixes.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I just realized that the rescaling code that was meant to only shrink the UI on the iPAD is also shrinking the UI on the iPhone 5. That's why it looks small on the iPhone 5 but isn't that bad on the iPhone 4S. I'll fix this and roll it into the next update.

17. Jim Shorts

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    Okay... for me, I tap quests after finishing the day 1 and it will not load anything else. Keeps refreshing the main screen. Maybe I'll restart. I don't why this is only happening to me?

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sounds like a bug. I'll look into it. So just to clarify, did you finish just 1 level or multiple levels? Day 1 should end in a level where your party fights against a Demonic Spider that is half Spider and half Severed human head. Did you play that level?

19. Jim Shorts

Nov 3, 2014
    Virginia
    #259 Jim Shorts, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    Yes that is exactly what happened. I played a spider with a giant head and now I can't proceed to the next dungeon or whatever. I guess you know the item inventory is strange. Also, if I click "How To Play" button... game crashes.

So yea... I load my game and it shows that I have level 2 characters, but when I click quests... it still shows Day 1 - A Journey Begins...

So I press that and it just refreshes the main screen. :(

20. madreviewer

Sep 22, 2013
    Cool