iPad Demon Hunter - The Return of The Wings

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Oct 29, 2010.

1. radchad1

radchad1 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Accountant
    Lake Zurich, Illinois
    No kidding it took me twenty mins to get through that part. The game is definitely very text heavy from what I played. So far I'm really liking the game and it's the closest thing we have to a true castlevania game with rpg character advancement. I tried running the game on my iPod touch 4g with full speed on and iPhone 3GS and the game runs like butter on both of them.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Game Impressions

I'm actually really enjoying it, too. It was smart for the devs to reduce the size of the play area with a frame to keep the graphics from becoming a blurry mess. I don't know if I would call it a Castlevania clone -- the map and character graphics certainly remind you of Symphony, but the action and quests are more Korean-action-RPG in style. The combat system seems to have some depth to it, and the story is fairly intriguing if familiar. The background music is kind of annoying but the game supports iPod playback and you can turn off the BGM without affecting the general sound effects. All in all a decent budget RPG, and kind of a standout compared to other Korean imports in this genre.

3. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Are you defeated 1st boss? i'm stuck...

Attached Files:

4. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    The Castlevania comparisons are making me seriously consider picking this up even though I certainly don't need any more KRPGs.

5. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Yup, what squarezero said. This is basically the Korean take on the Metroidvania formula, minus the exploration and dripping with grinding mobs for leveling your various skill trees and random drops.

The job system here is pretty deep and it allows you a lot of flexibility to create a character to your play style. I think what makes all of this compelling is the moment to moment action which animates very well and is nicely drawn. I love that armor and gear you find change the look of your sprite.

Will play more on the bus right now.

Ps. The game is also unforgivingly hard. So save often.

6. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    So you have to level your character to get to new areas rather than finding items? How do you get new items--via a shop? If so, do you physically visit this shop, or can you just pull up a menu and purchase new items anywhere?

7. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    I really like this game so far, it seems to be really organized and simply yet it has all the rpg aspects you would expect from top rpg's would recommed this to any rpg fan as its on sale now grab it while its still is ;)

8. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks. I took your advice.

9. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Ya, the more I have played it, the more I am shocked by it. There are actually combos in the game which aren't listed in the tutorial. These can be linked into your ranged weapon and special abilities through the skill tree.

10. porkchop

porkchop Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Np ;) hope you enjoy it to

11. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    I'm enjoying this game myself. Already put several hours into it. Wish the performance was a bit better but can't ask too much being on an ancient 1st gen touch...

12. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Been playing this on and off all day and I have to say this is a fun little Metroidvania clone with a Korean RPG sensibility.

The leveling is fairly deep and the action is about as good as any Castlevania game, although I think you pay the touch controls tax.

The graphics and sprite work continues to standout as probably my favorite among the Korean cell phone set.

13. Andrey1610

Jul 6, 2010
    2all, post, please, your screenshots with status. I don't know how spend points :(

Attached Files:

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I'm actually feeling the same about it. I've put a little over an hour into it, and so far I like it a lot more than Hybrid 2 and Seed 2. Though the controls are not perfect, I'm really impressed by the overall interface. Things like, mapping, crafting and skill management are really intuitive. The characters are fairly memorable, too, and the quests so far have not been ridiculously grindy (but still tough). There's a ton of gameplay here for the money.

It should be noted that the game does have some IAPs, though nothing that is coming across as necessary.

15. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Bought after reading everyone's thoughts. Does the soul system work like Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow?

16. darkhorse

darkhorse Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2009
    When you are on that screen, press the circle button and you should be able to use the left/right arrows to change stats.

17. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Great game, got me by surprise. I'm having a hard time with the controls but it could be the buttons placement. The "switch between weapons" button is very unresponsive, the movement buttons could be bigger or have a bigger input area. The rest of the game is great, very deep and lots of great loot, pretty good animations. Translation is very average, spelling mistakes, broken grammar but not all that bad. I tried the arena challenge at the beginning but they forgot to translate the text! It took me a while before I realise I could double jump, tutorial is recommended.

Great deal for 0.99$, I'm enjoying more then zenonia/seed/inotia, hopefully the controls will get some updating, you could do a lot worse for a game that cost half what my fancy Starbuck coffee costs.

18. Andrey1610

Jul 6, 2010
    darkhorse, thanks, but i know how spend. i don't now what - strength, vitality, dexterity.. in 13 lvl my attack about 60, how i can increase it? i know about arms and boots increasing power

19. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Very surprising. I just took it myself and it is good, rather good. Even on my iPad.

I only wish the English would be a bit better :D:D

20. sdmiracle

sdmiracle Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    i have on more question before i buying this, doest the normal monsters have different kinds of attack? just like castlevania, some shoots things out, some might jump out from top
    most of the korean rpgs have monster with different faces but tactically same