Universal Delta - Game Emulator (by Testut Tech)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Unordinary, Apr 17, 2024.

1. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I might be wrong, but according to what I read about the Core Technology Fee, I think all apps are subject to Apple charging a fee after a one million "first installs" in the last twelve months. That means if you make a very popular app, you will still have to pay Apple around €0.41+taxes the moment said conditions are met, no matter where users get the app from, whether it's the AppStore or a third party provider.

Here's the link to Apple's explanation. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    I wonder if they are going to allow a paid emulator on the appstore, or they could upload the app for free and have an alternative payment option in the app with a credit card or paypal or something for the app to fully function

“Developers operating under the new business terms for EU apps will have the option to distribute their iOS apps in the EU via the App Store, Web Distribution, and/or alternative app marketplaces. These developers can also use alternative payment processors in their apps in the EU on the App Store across Apple operating systems”

sebgo likes this.
  3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

4. Unordinary

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    I’m pressing F to pay respects to all the devs that dropped a game this week and lost to some good ol’ piracy

sebgo likes this.
  5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #65 psj3809, Apr 20, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2024
    Boooo !

im loving this app. Bloody amazing !!! Enjoy discovering new retro games I hadn’t tried before. Can’t wait for an update to hopefully get more systems added

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    where did you hear this news ? Any dates ?

7. Unordinary

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    #67 Unordinary, Apr 20, 2024

Ignited announced it on their discord, Provenance on their twitter and Folium on their website. No dates yet, i think Ignited and Provenance are waiting on approval and Folium is in beta on testflight

Hulkino and Truncana like this.
  8. Unordinary

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
  9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #69 psj3809, Apr 20, 2024
    Ahhh thanks. Would love to get provenance. Used to have that Activision app on my phone but the app apocalypse got rid of that

would love more 2600 games back

10. Unordinary

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Just play Activision Anthology on gba :)

CygnetSeven likes this.
  11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Haha yeah good point !!

dying for a MAME emulator !! Miss having all those arcade games. Had midway arcade ages ago and again another one lost due to the app apocalypse.

Need to search what system I can get that on

Alex DeLargest and squarezero like this.
  12. Unordinary

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    Midways greatest arcade hits, Namco museum and Atari anniversary all have gba versions aswell

squarezero likes this.
  13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah I thought they did. I’m away from home so I’ll look properly when I’m back on my PC

14. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    Gonna be crazy when we eventually get PPSSPP. So many great tactical games, many with fan patches/translations. Jeanne D’Arc, MGS: Acid 2, Tactics Ogre, La Pucelle, Valkyria Chronicles 2&3, the WH40K game, etc.

squarezero likes this.
  15. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

#75 sebgo, Apr 20, 2024
    PPSSPP apparently makes use of JIT in order to have good performance, so maybe that one won't be coming to iOS, just as iDolphin. I wouldn't keep my hopes up, but if it does it'll be welcome (hopefully with good performance on old devices, the same way it worked on my phone when it was jailbroken).

Mostly looking forward to Provenance, which I used to use for N64 and PSX emulation, a couple years ago. I still have a LoK: Soul Reaver itch that dates back to 20+ years ago because I didn't finish it!

༼⁠;⁠´⁠༎ຶ⁠ ⁠۝ ⁠༎ຶ⁠༽

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Do you mind explaining this a bit? I’m running PPSPP on my Retroid Pocket 4 without a hitch and I’m not sure why an iPhone15 Pro would have a problem with it. I know the dev is already considering a port.

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  17. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

Retroid Pocket seems to run on Android (quick Google search, since I didn't know about the existence of that device) which is fairly open. Also, it's designed around pushing gaming capabilities.

If it requires JIT to run, Apple will reject it. If it doesn't, then it might pass. The thing is, unlike the JIT-supported app (e.g. the IPA that can be sideloaded or installed on jailbroken devices), it might run bad on older devices.

As an example of why JIT is necessary to run games smoothly, the developers of iDolphin posted a video comparison between the emulator running with and without JIT support on an iPhone 15 Pro Max, and it runs terrible without it.

I know a GameCube/Wii emulator is more demanding than a PSP one, but still makes me wonder if JIT-less would run as good as JIT-supported does on older [jailbroken] devices.

I never got to play around with PPSSPP's settings when my device was jailbroken, so I don't know how bad it'd be at least on my iPhone 8; with default settings it was nearly flawless and so was iDolphin (with some exceptions like open world 3D games for the Wii; LoZ:WW for GC was perfectly playable and didn't experience a single hiccup).

On the other hand, yeah, a 1TB iPh15 Pro Max Ultra Ultimate XL would probably have no issue running PPSSPP without JIT; that's why I focused on old devices.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Thanks for the exhaustive answer . I wasn’t familiar with JIT, but a quick Google search brought me up to speed.

And yes, the Retroid Pocket 4 runs on Android. I’m perfectly happy running PSP games with it (I also have a jailbroken PSP Go, which is awesome). I was kind of looking forward to running PSP games at 1080p/60FPS, but if that’s not possible without JIT, I have no reason to use PPSSPP on my iPhone.

BTW The Retroid Pocket 4 Pro sells for about $200 and can run PS2 and GameCube games at decent resolution and frame rate. It’s smaller than a Switch Lite, which I like, and the overall quality is quite good. Great retro gaming device.

sebgo likes this.
  19. sebgo

sebgo Well-Known Member

I don't know if it'd run terribly bad on older devices without it, though. Might as well not be necessary for some decent/acceptable performance, since JIT support was added a long while ago when it was already functional without it.

Still, if you have the time, could you please use your Retroid device to make a comparison on performance and grant me some light [of hope] about how it runs? In case you do, it's the Dynarec settings which enabled is JIT-ok and disabled would be expected to run slower. ~☆

I was gonna use my brother's phone to check on that, but he's currently asleep.

Alex DeLargest and squarezero like this.
  20. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    SH Shattered Memories went from 60FPS to 27. Keeping in mind that the Retroid doesn’t have a top of the line CPU or GPU, that might not mean much on a top-of-the-line iPhone. We’ll see :).

Alex DeLargest and sebgo like this.