Universal Delta - Game Emulator (by Testut Tech)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Unordinary, Apr 17, 2024.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #41 psj3809, Apr 18, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
    I’ve been using emulators for years. People into retro games probably have done as well. Yeah it’s new to iOS but android or pC, emulators have been around for years

it won’t disrupt new games. It’ll be for the hardcore fans who had these old machines. I mean some people can’t even seem to find roms so I think they’ll struggle

And yeah I get Delta for free as I’m in the UK but people moaning or even talking about having to pay £1.50 a year (a year !!) is just plain embarsssing

let’s pay monthly for Netflix or Amazon or Apple Arcade. Let’s buy a £1100 phone but oh my god I’m not happy about £1.50 a year !! It’s soooo unfair !! ;)

when a game comes out it’s 99c or $1.99. I don’t get a discount. I still pay £1.99 or 99p which is more due to the currency exchange but that’s life

Stronsay, elcrazy and Hulkino like this.
  2. GordLacey

GordLacey Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Just make an account in another App Store (like US) and download it for free.

3. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Woohoo I finally got it!!! :p

Is this confirmed legit by the original creator? I'm always afraid these are scams since this seems too good to be true. A legit emulator on the app store wow.

sebgo likes this.
  4. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    I‘ll try it from germany with my US account.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yes, it’s legit :).

L.Lawliet likes this.
  6. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Can‘t wait to play Musha Aleste on my iPhone!

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just been downloading some DS games and N64 games. Never had one when I was younger and I love going through the list and downloading ones which may interest me

also googling top n64 games to find some gems I might not have played

8. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    I have a question. This is an emulator and it requires ROMs to make games work on it. That is my understanding.

But aren’t ROMs illegal to use? Are they even safe? If that is the case, Nintendo won’t let this slide and Apple will have to face complications. Isn’t that correct?

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It’s a gray area. Fans of old games are often keeping these old games alive and in some instances helping companies make money as retro is popular again. In the UK there’s a magazine called retro gamer. I doubt it would be around if it wasn’t for emulation. Companies release updates to a classic game series as they’re so popular with retro fans. Again if these old games were left to die and gather dust many of these remakes might not have happened

are they safe ? I don’t know what you’re smoking ! Course they’re safe. It’s the same as downloading an mp3 file. Granted some rom sites may be quite dodgy to access but you simply make sure your computer is protected.

there’s a huge homebrew scene of people still making games for the ZX Spectrum or gameboy or many others. New games appear for the mega drive still.

So you could say this is an emulator for home brew games. Bit like why do shops sell blank cds or in the 80s why are they allowed to sell blank tapes ? We use them to make our own music cds and also backups of cds. In the 80s I had a double tape deck. I could use that to copy friends albums they bought. So granted that was illegal but they won’t stop people using things for privacy

your car might have a top speed of 130 mph which is illegal ? Yet they still sell cars which go that fast

if you were copying the latest game and distributing it online and selling it at a cheap price then be scared. If Nintendo released a gameboy compilation app I would buy it in an instant. Sadly they won’t so this is my only option. It’s sad to know you’ve never tried MAME (an arcade emulator) which is an amazing emulator.

downloading a 35 year old rom file I would not worry about in the slightest.

10. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    It’s not illegal to go at 130 mph or more in German autobahns AFAIK… How did I end up saying this in a games forum? :D lol!

sebgo likes this.
  11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    It’s good to remember that rights holders sued to stop cassettes, blank CDs, VCRs, etc. and lost for exactly the reason you suggest: there are legitimate uses for all those technologies, even if they can also be used illegally.

You are absolutely right about the retro scene and how it’s essential for game preservation (and likely the reason that remakes/remasters are so profitable for publishers). The way I see it, ROMs of vintage games may be technically illegal, but they are not really unethical — especially for titles that are not currently available for purchase. In many instances, it’s actually impossible to pay for a game: when you buy a physical copy at a vintage shop the money doesn’t get to the original developer or publisher. There’s no moral reason why buying a used retro game is ok but downloading a ROM is “wrong.”

Where I draw the line is emulating current-gen games. Frankly, I’m not really bothered by Nintendo taking down Yuzu and other Switch emulators; those games can be purchased from the original publishers and the profits pay salaries and royalties to the original creators. Downloading a Switch ROM (or an APK of an iOS or Android game for that matter) is wrong in my book.

Here’s a few situations that are not wrong as far as I’m concerned:

• I played Grandia on my homebrewed PSP Go and it’s now one of my favorite RPGs of all time. When the remaster came out on Switch last year, I bought a copy.
    • I bought M&M Clash of Heroes on iOS many years ago. Loved the game, but it came out with a bunch of bugs and Ubisoft eventually abandoned it. I bought it again on Switch when it was rereleased, but that’s a platform I rarely touch these days I just got it on Delta and playing it obsessively.
    • There are many awesome RPGs that were never released in the West, but have been lovingly translated by dedicated fans. The only way to experience those games is through ROMs.
    • There are long series like Tales and Legend of Heroes that include many titles that never made it to the US. Wanna play rarities like Ys vs Trails in the Sky? Gotta get the fan-translated ROM.
    And yes, I’m a nerd :)

@Rocksaint feel free to PM me if you want to learn more about the retro game scene online — I’ll give you my email address.

12. Samuel Dodee

Samuel Dodee Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2024
    Male
    This guy deserves much more than € 1.50/year, but I have to:
    • download and install iTunes
    • download and install iCloud
    • download and install AltServer for Windows
    • etc.
    Sorry, but I'm too lazy. :(

sebgo likes this.
  13. Stronsay

Stronsay Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2015
    Correct me if wrong, but as I understand it, the EU Digital Markets Act, among other things, allows people in Europe to download apps from stores that aren't operated by Apple and permits alternative ways to pay for in-app transactions. So we’re not just talking emulators, Delta appears to be one of the first using the new rules. Still looks to me like the first crack in the wall, especially if other countries enact similar legislation. Apple argue their loss of control over apps will reduce security and privacy, something many people like about the AppStore, and is part of the reason they are fighting back with the introduction of download fees. Will be interesting to see how it all pans out with other apps and games.

Samuel Dodee likes this.
  14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #54 psj3809, Apr 19, 2024
    It’s crazy how easy it is for me to play games from the 80s and 90s. Yet many of my favourite iOS games are now lost and I can’t play those on my current iPhone. Wish I could play some old iOS clsssics I had previously bought but lost to the 64 bit apocalypse !

agree with Squarezero. I don’t emulate any current systems. Only 20+ year old ones. So many games are just lost and gathering dust. Such a shame

I’m loving rediscovering classics on these old systems specially the old NES games

L.Lawliet and sebgo like this.
  15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I can see there being an alt App Store full of emulators to buy. That’s the thing I’m jealous about on android all the emulators they have. Be a dream to have all these emulators and games on my phone

16. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Can’t believe that this works but someone brings up a good point isn’t this illegal? It’s got some cool games though got Mario kart ds to work

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    It could be used to run games you don’t own but the dev could say it’s meant to be used for home brew games so that’s why maybe it’s still sat on the App Store

but yeah playing Mario kart on it is a dream

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Technically, you are allowed to create and run ROMs of games you own. Where it gets tricky is when there’s DRM software (like with Switch games), which is illegal to circumvent under any circumstances.

Like anything having to do with copyright, it’s up to the rights holder to take legal action. And it’s pretty clear that with older games, many publishers want to keep a gray area in play. Retro gaming is good for the brand, even if Nintendo et al don’t make money on it.

sebgo likes this.
  19. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    #59 Unordinary, Apr 19, 2024
    Folium, Provenance and Ignited are set to release their apps in the appstore, let’s hope for the EU they don’t all go to the altstore.

adin, Truncana, sebgo and 1 other person like this.
  20. Chq

Chq Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Missing scanline-overlays, because i am old.

sebgo likes this.