Deleting Apps

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by VoodooVyper, Mar 4, 2009.

1. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    So, in iTunes, when you right click an app and click delete, it asks if you want to keep the files or move them to the recycle bin. What's the sense of of keeping them? Is there some sort of option to import app files so that they show up again on iTunes?
    If I delete, keep files, then re-downloaded the app again, it physically downloads it again, thus overwriting any saved data that may have been applied to it.

Could somebody please explain how the iTunes app directory works.

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

It keeps the physical IPA in the Mobile Applications folder. It just writes to the iTunes scripts to ignore that particular file on future imports. You can always reimport it, or whatever.

3. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    How do you import files to the apps section in iTunes?

Also, is there any way to delete apps (games, in particular) from the iDevice without losing saved data/progress?

4. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

You go to C:\Users\[username]\Music\iTunes Music\Mobile Applications. Or on a Mac \Users\[username]\Music\iTunes Music\Mobile Applications. I may be wrong on the Mac directory.

Just drag the file back into iTunes.

You can't.

5. VoodooVyper

Jan 25, 2009
    But how do you get them back into iTunes though?

When deleting the app from iTunes, but keep the files, they stay in that directory. But how do you get them back into iTunes if you wanted to? I'm just trying to reduce the clutter in my app section, but would like to be able to import previously deleted files.

Edit: sorry just saw the "drag the file back" part of your post. Thank you for your help!