Delaying release of an app - do they still have a chance for N&N ?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MikeSz_spokko, Nov 22, 2010.

1. MikeSz_spokko

MikeSz_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Rather simple question, but can't find any answer...

Imagine your app is accepted today and you sincerely hope for N&N, but you have some marketing campaigns plans for the next week. If you release today - app automatically has a chance for N&N spot, just like any other

However, what if you decide to delay the release date hoping to score a jackpot - have both N&N and marketing campaign happening at the same time. Is it possible ? Or the fact that the app was there already available for release screws up your chances to get featured ?

2. wefiends

wefiends Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    If the release date is set in the future when your app gets approved, then the day you specified will be when it shows up in the new releases. Doesn't screw up your chances of hitting N&N. If it actually went live (it was available for purchase) that's different.

3. MikeSz_spokko

May 27, 2009
    Are you sure of that ? Do you by any chance have something that would prove that ? An actual app that you know of which was delayed by the dev but got N&N would be best ;)

Sorry about asking for confirmations, but we just need to be sure of it...

Release date is temporarily set sometime in late 2011, so no worries on that side. IT will not be available prior to the planned release, we're only worried that if the game stays for 1-2 weeks in limbo (accepted, not released) chances of N&N will decay

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #4 mr.Ugly, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010

well being featured is not an automatic process.. so why should that have something todo if you delay your release? your release date will be the date customer will be able to buy it.. so if its stuff that could get into n&n why should it not be there when it goes online?

5. MikeSz_spokko

May 27, 2009
    Well, that's my thinking too, but with Apple you never know

There might be a possibility that N&N candidates are chosen by the censors (aka reviewers), land in some queue and if you delay the app - your chance is lost (at least for some time)

I think such scenario is rubbish, but as I said - with Apple you just never know

Just trying to be sure and avoid the unexpected

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well.. we all can only assume.. we know as much as you do.. so you could possible write an email to apple support and see what they have to say about it..

its only apple who can you give you an answere.

biggest problem would imho is rather that apple doesnt notify the developer if they feature your app.. so if you don't check yourself on daily base you can actualy miss that..

7. Toolism_spokko

Toolism_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Actually we've already written to Apple about that. So far 1 week and no answer.

So... maybe someone lived through this scenario? Has anyone delayed a release at least 5-6 days and then after releasing it got into the N&N section? That could surely be consider harder evidence than just our guesses.

8. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
    My app Robotvision got New and Noteworthy in October 2009, three weeks after the app had been released.

I wouldn't sweat the details too much and instead focus on just getting noticed.

9. Toolism_spokko

Toolism_spokko Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    #9 Toolism_spokko, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
    @u2elan : Did you release it as soon as it was approved? Or did you wait 3 weeks and then released it?

10. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

That won't affect whether your app gets featured or not. Release it when you're ready. (Our Linkoidz had a release date in the future, and was featured)

11. u2elan

u2elan Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2010
    iOS Developer
    Portland, OR
  12. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
  13. My game Flight Deck: Reloaded was approved by Apple, but I didn't release it until about 2 weeks later. I was waiting for an update to another app to go through before releasing it (for marketing reasons).

Flight Deck: Reloaded got featured the week after I released it.

Could still be coincidence I suppose, but the timing worked out for me.