iPhone DEKAI, a 4 player shmup.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Yobonja, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Yobonja

Yobonja Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hey everyone, I'm working on a four player space shmup for the iPad so I figured I'd open up a thread here to write about it and start getting some outside feedback.

It's a co-op shoot 'em up with a text-art style:
    [​IMG]
    More dev screenshots here.

The goal for me in this game is to make a good casual four player campaign. I'm trying to make a sort of pick-up-and-play-where-you-left-off experience. It's not necessarily an easy game, but it is easy learn how to play. The only control is drag a ship to move it. While a ship is held or being dragged, it shoots towards the center of the screen. Otherwise a ship is protected by its shields.

Like most shmups, it has pickups, cool enemies and bullets flying everywhere. Right now the game is a series of boss fights, and it might stay that way, but I'm going to try out a new traveling section for the beginning of missions.

Let me know what you think, let me know if you would like to play this with friends, or would just go solo with four fingers, or if you think there are just too many space shmups in existence, or whatever :).

Thanks,
    -Angelo

2. bluecat20

bluecat20 Member

Nov 16, 2010
    This sounds great to me. I'm always on the hunt for coop games on the ipad to play with my son. We have some fun playing head to head games like Fruit Ninja but it actually seems like we have a lot more fun when we are playing a game that is cooperative where we are working together. So this game sounds great - I'd love to buy it as soon as it is available.

3. Yobonja

Yobonja Member

Apr 1, 2010
    Hey thanks for the response! It's good to see that someone thinks there's value in cooperative games on the iPad. I'm sort of building this without having a good sense of who actually owns iPads or what they use them for.

I feel like iPhone gaming is similar to facebook gaming in a lot of ways, single player experiences that share scores and achievements with others. Where as iPad has the great potential to bring people together around one physical device, leading to a more game console like multiplayer experience.

So in short, I hope this game reaches more people than iPads when it comes out.