Universal Defenders 2 (by NIVAL, INC.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Sounds like classic pay-to-win, which is very disappointing considering that the first game was grindy, but winnable.

2. PNem

PNem Active Member

Apr 28, 2009
    I've been playing for a while (level 12), and haven't run into this issue. The game is not linear at all, but it is very possible to attempt a level that you aren't ready for.

3. tennischamp5

tennischamp5 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2012
    Medical Student
    Saint Louis, MO
    So I've been playing this for about a day or so. Just reached level 18. So far the game seems extremely reasonable. No paywall whatsoever. Is there a pay to get ahead aspect? Of course, but that's with most games nowadays. If you lose a level with a particularly new mechanic you're not geared for, every once in a while (like thrice so far out of 35-50+ levels tried) a popup appears with a special offer for that particular counter tower (flying, etc.)

Yes, it's a tad grindy, but that's to be expected with TD games like this. What's nice is that every couple level ups, your starting resource increases, and with many TD games, it's those initial few waves that really kill you, so the more starting resource you get, the easier those stages become.

It's also very non-linear (I currently have ~15ish possible stages available).

My biggest qualm is the scaling aspect. I don't like how beaten stages can't be replayed unless you pay. I really don't like how newly appearing stages scale with your level (from the little I've noticed). Almost every stage I have left is level 20+, which makes things fairly difficult and pointless from an upgrade perspective. One of my favorite parts of TD games was leveling/powering up towers and then returning to old maps to see the improvement. Here, my tower damage might double from L1 to L20, but so does enemy health, making the in game difference mostly negligible.

While I haven't hit a wall yet, if the scaling continues, I can definitely see where issues will arise. Battles are becoming tougher and tougher, and starting to take longer and longer.

It's the closest thing I've seen to Defender Chronicles (my all time favorite iOS TD - wish the devs hadn't given up on it... hands down better than nearly every other TD I've played on the app store).

4. Dethedrus

Dethedrus Active Member

May 5, 2012
    I STILL have DC2 on my current iPhone and iPad! You have completely sold me on this game by the comparison!

5. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Are u guys pissed with the relaying of stealing Essence? The longest I lasted in hard mode was round 5 (no pun intended) all because they relay in stealing Essence.. That's stupid. The creeps should go all the way to the end and not pick up the Essence.. That's cheating

6. nexusphere

nexusphere Member

Dec 27, 2013
    The anti-air tower is a rancid tactic. I have level 1 common anti air towers, and the harpy is just crazy fast.

Look, developers, I like playing the game. I'd pay for stars and silver to get new fun toys or specials, but this "pay 4$ for one card (and nothing else, no, the hammer doesn't count) to deal with the harpy at the end of a half-dozen levels is terrible.

I want you to know, you are losing both free to pay players (who will likely quit rather than figure out how to kill the harpy with less useful tools) and paying players like me (who aren't going to reward crap like that with cash, but would gladly spend more for extras).

7. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    I don't find harpy difficult to kill. I think you are playing way above your level

8. pseudoart

pseudoart Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Someone already mentioned it, but for new players, one of the most important things you can do is to always continue a level on hard as many times as you can to maximize the gain. You can really rack up a lot of cash that way which means more booster packs.

9. nexusphere

nexusphere Member

Dec 27, 2013
    I can kill the harpy, and I'm not playing above my level.

I find charging 4$ for a single card to beat an obviously more powerful enemy designed to kill you when you first encounter it in poor taste, and it has put me off spending any money.

The tactic has cost them the money I would have spent to buy stars. I spent it on Dungeon Boss instead, and will continue to play this for free.

10. RinoaHeartily

Dec 12, 2010
    Does anyone know how to reset the game?

11. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Looks great but its the same old gameplay man.

12. Spudboy

Spudboy Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    I tried to like it. Ultimately it got boring.

13. nexusphere

nexusphere Member

Dec 27, 2013
    After more free play, I concur. There aren't very many useful options for stages, and the cost to replay levels is high, and I don't want to spend money due to tactics. Maybe if the developers listen to feedback, something will change, but for now this gets a do not reccomend.

To; dr. It's fine. Not reccomended for anyone but die hard TD fans, and even then.

14. Tchitan

Tchitan New Member

Jan 23, 2016
    How to get rid of the cloud of smoke?

Hello
    First I want to say that I have played the first Defenders and I liked it. This one has some good and also bad new things. I like the possibility to replay the same level harder and harder. What I do not like is that you have to pay (with stars) if you want to play the level later again. I am currently level 35 and I have reached it without spending any money in the game. So far I can say that there is no paywall in the game. But what I do have really big issues with in the last level is the smoke cloud left behind the CAT or death POLLYWOG. Has anybody figured out how to get rid of it?

15. cookietroll

cookietroll Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2013
    So far made it to level 45. Really enjoying the game. There were few pay walls and I bought the anti air tower to be able to play more comfortably. I've managed to complete volcano router and it took me through most levels. Now with zombies that eat dead, underground enemies, etc it became much more strategic... I even like it more than the original.

16. pseudoart

pseudoart Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2013
    I stuck with it, playing a few stages pr. day. Latest update seem to have broken the game, though? The daily rewards screen won't go away. Anyone else experiencing this?