iPad Defend! New to appstore.

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by davidhenry114, Nov 10, 2008.

1. davidhenry114

davidhenry114 Active Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Has anyone jumped on this yet? It looks interesting. Graphics have a geometry wars look. Something interesting from the screenshot is that under the label of lives, there is 6.7 billion some lives. Of course this is the lives of those living on planet Earth, but not sure how this will work in the game. Any thoughts.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295528445&mt=8

2. mek

mek Well-Known Member

so is this a tap tap stlye game, or a slide glide style game, similar to missle defense but sliding an ever steady stream of bullets unto unexpecting invaders

it looks good, but i sense that my [not necessarily yours] replayability may suffer and i may buy and forget about this game...but i would love to see a video to prove myself wrong

3. stemilan0

stemilan0 Active Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Veeeery nice graphic and controls but it's too hard I can reach only level 3 or 4.
    I think a few power-ups would make it better, and more colors too, there are only red and blue.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    It should noted that this guy can only score 500 on Zombie Attack. :p

5. stemilan0

stemilan0 Active Member

Oct 6, 2008
    #5 stemilan0, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    auch, touchè :D

hold on hold on I was at level 8!

6. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #6 NotYou, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    I bought it and tried it. It's definitely worth getting. It had me shouting swear words as I tried not to die. That's a good sign.

The gameplay is unique. It seriously reminds me of writing my name in the snow. You know what I'm talking about. That's not the weirdest part though. I won't give it away, but you'll be reminded of biology class... a lot.
    (edit: I will give it away. It looks like sperm attacking an egg for most of the game so far.

The orientation changes after every level, so you have to rotate the phone or iPod to match it. Around level 7 or so, you're in the middle, which means you have to rotate the phone while playing. That's the part where I started swearing.

The gameplay is very simple, but that's a good thing in this case. I'd put this in a category with Mazefinger.

I definitely recommend it. Everyone needs to buy this and Zombie attack. I don't think you can get anything better for $2.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the levels are random. I played it again and got to the same point, but never came across the level where my planet was in the middle of the screen. The other levels looked different too.

7. davidhenry114

davidhenry114 Active Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Just bought it. Thanks for everyone who commented. It is definitely worth the $.99. Very nice graphical style.

8. (klondike)

(klondike) Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    How do you control it? Are the controls good? Otherwise it looks pretty good.

9. QuickWit

QuickWit Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2008
    Video Writer, Director, Producer
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Save the Planet!

I just got the game as well and I really like it. It's very original and a fun and well worth the buck.

For me one of the best features was how they handled the "health meter". In this game you've got a count of how many lives your planet has -- and then you watch it go down as the aliens get past you. It's one thing to see your health bar go down, but another thing all together to see that you missing that one guy just cost 100,000 people their lives! I was really freaking out when I'd realized that I'd already lost over 4 million people! That beats the old health bar hands down!

And, yes... it does look like you're playing some sort of Safe Sex game and trying to keep the sperm away from the egg... it took me a while to get that visual out of my head! But after I lost a few million people from my planet I was back on track.

Definitely worth a pick up!

10. jlake02

jlake02 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2008
    Manager
    Los Angeles
    Looks interesting, might need to check it out :)

11. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    I grabbed this too and I really like it. Controls are top notch and feel really responsive yet smooth for being accelerometer controls. I love the different orientations of each level and that the levels are random to an extent. You never die from the same boss over and over again because you may not encounter it each time.

That said, its just begging for
    -online rankings (I got to level 22, how about you guys?)
    -some different weapons (laser, spreadshot, flak, homing)
    -super bomb you can collect and place with your finger to save your ass when things get tight.
    -more enemies, I love the minimal look, i want to see more! maybe there are more, I only got to level 22.

12. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    im really liking the game too. i love the graphics. we just need some powerups and maybe another control option to swipe the finger or something. I think its ironic that it looks like a sex education game and my wrist is killing me!

well worth the buck.

13. Finchypoo

Finchypoo Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    nothing like those planet in the middle levels to make you look like an idiot to everyone watching you play.

14. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

Exactly. Where's the touch-control option? :mad:

15. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    This is the main reason i play Fieldrunners, Galcon, and Trace so much.... it's great the iPhone has an accelerometer, but you don't need to integrate it into every game.. at least give us the option to turn it offf...

This unfortunately is a dealbreaker for me.. I can't play all the games sitting down at a 60 degree angle..

16. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one. ;)

Seriously, I never play accelerometer-controlled games. The reason? I only play games when I'm:

• Laying down
    • On the (crowded) train
    • At work, sitting at my desk (stealth) ;)

The accelerometer is worthless in these situations. Why do developers insist on forcing it down our throats, when games like PAC-MAN and Bomberman have shown how easily a touch-control system can be implemented? :confused:

17. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008

its not as bad as you think. you can hold it at any angle. you just twist it left to right. i was just playing it, lying on the couch and it works great. :)

18. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    OK, bought it, loved it. Great game for only a buck, i advise you to buy it.It has a great Geom Wars feel, but i have to admit in the beginning on the first level or 2 i was totally bored already, but then when it started getting harder and when it changed orientations a few times, i instantly loved it. I havent played it enough for a full review, but these are my first impressions. A buy from me.

19. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

That's cool. When I'm lying next to my 18-month-old son trying to put him down for a nap, the less body movement, the better. Which is why I play Besiegement, Lux Touch, or Galcon in that situation. The point is, this app is a PERFECT candidate for touch controls and I wish the devs had made it available at launch. ;)

20. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #20 NotYou, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
    When he's older and you go to have "the talk" with him, you can use the game as an illustration. ;) It's very graphic.