Universal .Decluster: Into the Bullet Hell (by MASAYUKI ITO)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 2, 2015.

1. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Great! Me too :)

I just noticed your ask in the Cave thread - cool. Did .Decluster inspire you to expand and play more shmups? Did you eventually choose one to buy the other day?

2. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yes, this game did want me to get more into SHMUPS. I have not decided yet on which one to get.

I really would love to see single level high scoring. The only way you could get accurate scoring that is only based on difficulty and not level based would mean that everyone would have to start on level one for every run.

3. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    That is great news! Shmups are fantastic. Try the lite versions, they are all great.

4. MasayukiIto

MasayukiIto Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I am thinking about that carrying forward issue. The bullet cancel bonus and the star chip bonus are carried forward to the next level, in this game. That means if you want to get high score in each level, you have to run from level 1. It is so difficult to high score run for each level.
    so, I am going to change the initial state in the beginning from level 2 or later. The cancel bonus begins from x999 and the star chip begins from the number which can be obtained at to the previous level.

"destruction" means the number of enemies destroyed in each level. It doesn't matter you lost your life or not.

I'm now working on implementing Game Center. That includes the same boards which are currently implemented and each level boards based on each difficulty and some achievements.

5. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you so much for doing this!!!! You are awesome!!! So I'm trying to understand how scoring is going to be changed. If you want to do an overall run you will have to start on level one, is that right? So if I start on level 1 on easy and at the end of the level I have X, it will save X as my high score for level 1 easy and the next level I will start off with X? Then after I beat level 2 on easy on the same run that I started with my score X, my X plus whatever I earned in level 2 (let's call it Y) is my run score. Is that correct?

6. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the info and for working on adding game centre!

The carry forward issue is an interesting problem. I was thinking maybe you would implement it so only a level score would be recorded for the level you started the game at. So if I start a run at level 1 it will record an individual level score for level 1, and then also possibly an overall high score at the end of the run based on the same boards that are implemented now. So in that run I could only record a score on level 1 board and overall board. But if started a game at level 3 then it would record a score for the level 3 board, and then possibly the overall board as well. That would nullify the carry forward issue and you wouldn't have to change the initial state.

However what you are describing also sounds good, as it would allow you then to possibly score an individual level score for every level you play in a single run? I think maybe the only concern with altering the initial state to x999 might be that on easy mode you could potentially score a higher overall score starting on level 2 with x999 instead of starting the game from level 1... I haven't played easy for awhile but I think I couldn't get to x999 in level 1 easy mode, it took me until level 2 or 3 before I built the bonus up to x999. Normal and hard mode is much easier to raise the bonus to x999 faster, but I think in easy mode it takes a while.

Anyways, I am quite sure whatever method you choose it will work out well. Looking forward to it!

7. MasayukiIto

Patreon Bronze

If you run from level 2 to 4, level 2, 3, 4 and overall score will report to the Game Center. Concerning overall score, it does not matter which level you begin.

level2:2,000,000
    level3:1,000,000
    level4:500,000(game over)
    overall:3,500,000

That's right.

I can reach more than x900 in level 1 on easy mode. It's not impossible to get x999, I guess. :)

8. 7lilwhitewolf7

7lilwhitewolf7 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Male
    Not hear on earth
    Georgia,Cleveland Ohio,Texas,New York
    #108 7lilwhitewolf7, Mar 14, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
    Wow Masayuki Ito
    What a Treasure huh? Would you like to join those of us that are writing to get that Heaven of a Bullet Hell ported to iOS?
    HI-SCORE wuz cool tho i do like the new look of your icon. Thank You for your funtastic game

9. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Excellent! I will have to give it a try, last time I played easy I did just try to kill everything as fast as possible so I will need to change my approach a bit and let the enemies fire more bullets so I can cancel more.

What about for the initial stage values, save the highest star ships and cancel bonus that the player has earned to date on each level and use that for their initial values when starting from a stage other than 1? Then the player would have to earn that x999 value for level 2 (or any other level) before being able to start with that bonus.

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    More people need to put reviews on the actual AppStore. I still see myself and one other!

11. MasayukiIto

Patreon Bronze

iOS needs Ikaruga!

This idea seems to be great!! but I have already submitted a new version to Apple.... Thanks again for your suggestion.

12. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    True, that be amazing!

Wow, that was fast! Thanks for the update, looking forward to it!

13. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    I got the last promo code for Decluster about half an hour ago, and have been playing since then. I think it is only polite to give imps in return, and so:

This game is trippy, in the best way possible, as if i was pleasantly drunk and enjoying myself. Why? Because the mix of the music, the colors and the pixels. They are all frantic, and very fun to look at and play in.

I made it to level 2 on easy (admittedly i love shmups but i'm not good at them at all) and as yet i saw the standard shmup vertical shooting, some sessions of Arcanoid and a boss. So even up to level 2 there was variety! Amazing!

My opinion is that this is a game made with gusto, pick it up for some fast and frantic shmup action that will have you smiling at what could come next.

My only miff is that half the time i didn't know what i was picking up and if i was supposed to pick it up or not. But that just added to the pleasant frantic "trying to make it through the confusion" feeling.

14. MasayukiIto

Patreon Bronze

Thank you for sharing your first impressions! It seems certainly confusing what is dangerous or harmless because all colors is similar.
    I hope that you enjoy and beat the final level. :)

15. damydam

damydam Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2015
    I have played your game just a bit this afternoon and...

Wow, what a good surprise. Very very very good. I love the rythm and music. I have just met the boss of the first level (for which the lengh is perfect) and it is amazing.
    This is one of the best shmup I have ever played on mobile.

How many levels do the game contain ?

Being able to start from an accomplished level is good but I think a solution as implemented in Nokogi Rider (a shmup I like so much on mobile) would be maybe slightly better : you always start from level 1 but there is a practice mode where you can train yourself on the levels that you have attained.

Moreover, usually shmup on mobile allows to have a black band at the bottom of the screen in order not to lose the control of the ship when you have to move it completely at the bottom. In the settings, you can have black bands on the sides but it is less easy to control your ship from one of its side.

But this does not have an impact on how good your game is.
    I hope you have promoted it to the shump community and the sites that review mobile games. Your game deserves a lot of acclaims.

I had the chance to get a promo code on it but if you release it on Android I will be so happy to pay for it.

Enjoy the end of your week-end
    Cheers

16. damydam

damydam Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2015
    Sorry, I had missed the view size setting. I can now have a free zone on the bottom. So now everthing is perfect !!! :)

17. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So.., reading what I've missed, I figured I owed the dev more thank you's and admiration.

THANK YOU for putting SO MUCH thought into this game! The music... The settings... It's very clear you LOVE shmups and know what fans of the genre want in a bullet hell.

I've still yet to complete the game on normal, but I'm loving it. The more I play, the more it becomes one of my favorite BH titles, on any gaming platform...

18. MasayukiIto

Patreon Bronze

Thank you for impressions and suggestions!

It's 5 levels.

That sounds good, too. I wanted users to complete this game easily a bit. :)
    Nokogi Rider has some options for ship movement? That's great!

yeah, iPad has a aspect scale setting. It's just a little confusing.

Thank you. of course I love shmups!

19. poppichicken

poppichicken Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    What's it going to take to get TA to review .Decluster?!?!?!

Proto Raider is a fantastic game for sure, but how it got TA Game of the Week instead of .Decluster is a mystery...

It's a shame .Decluster was released during GDC, as it was overshadowed by all the news coming from GDC. :(

20. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Amen ! I wanted this game to be the game of the week. There needs to be a review!

Billy