Universal .Decluster: Into the Bullet Hell (by MASAYUKI ITO)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 2, 2015.

1. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Good find guys. I would have missed this had it not been for this thread. Haven't had much time with this yet but it looks pretty good so far.

2. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    No Game Center, local high scores only.

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Thanks, xjaff. I'll most likely pick this up anyway. Kinda hard not to with nothing but good feedback.

4. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Alright thank to all the enthusiastic TA comments and that short vid. I'm gonna get this now. Doesn't seem to be a TA New Release post today. So I got to get at least one gem.

5. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I am hoping that Game Center will be added at some point, it would be a good addition. Chasing high scores are what shmups are all about! I am not entirely sure yet how much depth this game has with regards to scoring, there is a bullet cancelling (homing laser) thing that raises the multiplier to a max value of x999 and also the faster enemies are killed the more points, that's about it. It seems challenging so far, I am still just getting used to the abstract look and figuring out what are enemies, bullets, items for pick up (what is danger vs what is safe). I am guessing there are 5 stages but I have only made it to stage 4 so far.

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Right on! Seems to be a lot of games coming out lately without GC integration. Here's to hoping this one gets the treatment. And thanks a bunch for your explanation/impressions!

7. poppichicken

poppichicken Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    Just defeated level 5 (on Easy)... WOW. I'm not sure how many forms that last boss takes; might be 7?

Anyway, really there is only one word for it... OMG! Just OMG. Okay technically that's 3 words LOL!!!111

The almost solid bullet curtains are some of the most thrilling I've experienced on iOS. I don't know who the dev is, but he/she either has worked at Cave (or similar), or just has an incredible understanding of what a bullet hell should be. Absolutely magnificent game.

Now to try on Normal difficulty...

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty...

Just beat stage 4 on Normal (starting on stage 4, not from stage 1...), and stage 2 on hard.

The scoring/bullet canceling is fantastic. It kind of has the same feeling as Danmaku Unlimited 2. The scoring/mechanics aren't the same... But the gameplay just feels that level of tight/right.

I can't really add much more to the conversation, other than say I'd love to see GC implemented in the future as well. The bullet patterns are pretty nice with bullet speeds not too fast, not too slow...

I was a little confused as to what can be picked up, but pretty much, if it's not white, you can go through it/pick it up... Kind of like DoDonPachi Max (with the green/solid-blue/ghostly) in that regard.

Its like a love letter to iOS bullet hell titles (Space Invaders IG, DU2, DDP Max...) - and for the price (as well as lack of BH titles over the last year), this one is incredibly easy to HIGHLY recommend to fans of the genre.

9. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I agree with everything you said. I was working on normal and hard as well but after poppichicken mentioned the stage 5 boss I wanted to see it so I just did a run from start to end on easy. That stage 5 boss is great, my favourite of the bunch. Great bullet patterns and cancelling opportunities. Looking forward to seeing that boss on normal and hard now!

Also after that run I see more scoring opportunities so I might continue to work on easy mode as well to try to get "perfect" on all stages and find the best ways to maximize the score. This game needs GC.

10. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I couldn't keep count but there were several. To be honest after my first few games when I was getting to the stage 3 and 4 bosses I was starting to think the boss battles were too long, some of the patterns would start repeating. I got used to it now, and boss 5 was totally fun. I am enjoying this game.

11. poppichicken

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    Yes, the boss battles are quite long (level 5 in particular), but to me that's one of the joys of bullet hells. :)

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #32 syntheticvoid, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Ha, the more I played, the more I came to the same conclusion: play on Easy while learning the best spots to cancel out bullets and get perfect bonuses. =oD

Even on easy, when playing for score, the game is pretty darn difficult. I wasn't expecting that at all. But the more I play, the more I'm enjoying it. I had to change my 4 star rating to a 5...

While GC would/will be? A great addition, I'm definitely not needing it to fully enjoy the game. Maybe by the time the boards are added (if they are), we'll all be super badass on hard difficulty and can jump to the top. =oP

13. poppichicken

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    #33 poppichicken, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Yep, I'm also spotting more and more scoring opportunities using cancels, and the game just gets better and better.

Now trying normal diff, and man, it is tough!

If I'm not mistaken, not only are there more, faster enemy bullets, but the game also gives you fewer moments of deliberate slowdown. Am I right, or am I imagining it?

I really hope TA front-page this gem (easy 5 stars!) once they finish with GDC!

Maybe we should try convincing Lonnie to give it a try! :)

14. poppichicken

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    This game has made me want to re-visit some other bullet hells... I've just been playing DDP Max, which is absolutely excellent, and I've gotta tell ya, I prefer .Decluster!

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, after playing on hard and normal, I was surprised at how much more slowdown (bullettime or whatever you wanna call it) there was on Easy...

I did just beat stage 5 on easy, and wow... That whole stage is just... A blast to play through. I was surprised at how good the bullet patterns got. Pretty sure it's gonna take me a while to get through the game on hard with enough confidence to try a highscore run.

Has anyone contacted the developer yet? I'm sure they'd love to get in on the convo.

16. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes stage 5 is fantastic, the bullet patterns are great. I abandoned my plan of working on easy mode because stage 5 is just so great I want to see it on the harder difficulties, so I am currently just working on the stage 5 boss on normal difficulty. It's excellent.

I don't think anyone has reached out to the developer.

17. xjaff

xjaff Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    I just hit the contact link on the developer website and mentioned this thread. Hopefully they join.

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Don't know how I missed this one. Thanks to synth's GOW nomination I fortunately checked this main thread. Looking forward to playing this in the next few days.

19. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    I couldn't resist any longer, specially having so much money left this week.
    Again, add Gamecenter and you'll get my 6th star for this beauty. Period.

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    How much more appealing would the game be with a different icon and...

Decluster: Into the Bullet Hell

...as the title? >_>