Universal [Dec 18] Star Wars KOTOR II (Aspyr Media)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Talbs, Dec 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
  2. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    I thought KOTOR was one of the best experiences on mobile when I first played several years back ( was playing it for the first time ). Hoping KOTOR II is more of the same! Happy to see another release from Aspyr, though I wish they could also squeeze in the Civ VI Frontier Pass before the holidays :)

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
  4. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ooooooooo!

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hell has officially frozen over.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Great news. Instant purchase for me

7. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Awesome.

I'm still low-key waiting for a Jade Empire update as well.

8. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Amazing graphics unreal engine 4?

9. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Yes great news

10. RpgN

RpgN Active Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Female
    The price is a big jump from KOTOR1 though...

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont mind the price, we all moan about freemium etc, heres a chance to get a classic game on your phone/ipad, no ad's, no freemium just a solid premium priced port. Need this to sell well so we might get more in the future.

Looking forward to this game but i wish Dark Forces would somehow come to iOS one day. Shame its just gathering dust somewhere. Played it on my iphone a few years back via a DOS app which at the time worked okay.

12. RpgN

RpgN Active Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Female
    I agree with some of your points and disagree with one. We got KOTOR1 fine for €11. It is a good price with no ads and no freemium. The newer releases are jumping sharply with higher prices (Xcom 2 €29, Moonlighter etc.). We have to be careful to not allow the prices to go out of hand. It will then become the new norm like €80 for PS5 games. I am okay with the developers asking money for their games in a traditional sense. But they must not forget the draw of iOS games. If the prices get higher gradually then I might as well go for the console versions or ignore them entirely because my expectations will be much higher as well.

In the case of KOTOR2 what improvements did they make to justify the price increase? Don’t forget that it’s an incredibly old game that can be gotten for €3 on sale on pc. Your line of thinking is very typical. But it’s not healthy to accept everything. It will hurt others who can’t afford those kind of prices eventually.

Mr. Charley likes this.
  13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've got a $900 phone in my pocket so i'm not too worried about a $4 increase on a Star Wars game i would love to have on my phone. I've bought lots of premium priced games and $15 isn't that bad. If thats too much for people i'm sure after a few months the price 'may' come down. It may be $3 on PC but i cant have my PC in my pocket, it probably takes a fair bit of work to get the game working on iOS so you cant say all because its $3 on PC it should be $3 on mobile

Non-freemium games dont make much money for lots of devs hence we get tons of freemium. I'm happy to support premium priced games when they're released. In my view we have tons of freemium as people are constantly waiting for price drops or freebies or promo codes. But each to their own

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    You do realise the market moves the way it moves. What you’re describing and advising we try to avoid is just how the market works. And you do realise users on TA are a very, very, very small band of the total consumers.

If these producers require that price to make it viable or dare I say even lucrative for them, well that’s just business.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Premium games on iOS, sadly, are now part of a niche market. I do agree that prices are becoming steeper as time goes by, but you need to consider that the race to the bottom is practically non-existent at this point, thus allowing developers more leeway in choosing their pricing. Thing is, whether or not the handful of us here choose to believe it or not, digital gaming (and especially mobile as a platform) has been proven to be nothing more than a temporary haven for games we love. There is no guarantee our favorite games will be here tomorrow, and that's both a blessing and a curse: With as volatile as mobile gaming is (partly thanks to the fact that Apple, after all these years, still doesn't take gaming seriously) you're never likely to end up seeing console gaming pricing on mobile.

RpgN likes this.
  16. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Here is what blows me away: Im seeing complaints about the price..... like....what? KOTOR2 is MASSIVE, and contains HOURS upon HOURS of content, not to mention multiple play throughs making different choices, you could easily get 50 hours out of this game. When it released initially, it was priced in the range of typical console titles. We, as mobile gamers, get an AMAZING title, and complain about the price.....like.....are you kidding me? Its $14.99. If that's too steep a price for a classic like KOTOR2, ignore and move on. And for the record, mobile will NEVER reach console pricing....which is also strange because the mobile gaming market is such that F2P games require people to dump, in some cases, HUNDREDS of dollars to be at a competitive playing level, but when a premium title with no iAP comes out at $14.99...its too much? We spend HUNDREDS of dollars on our phones for gods sake, yet $14.99 is to steep....and the $4.00 price increase needs to be justified? ....what? I may be a little hot on this subject, but as a dude who ONLY plays games on his phone, i will GLADLY fork over $14.99 for a title like KOTOR2. I suppose different strokes for different folks but exactly how much would people ask to pay for this? For god's sake, the original KOTOR is down to $4.99 right now, guarantee someday we will see a sale on KOTOR2 for likely $9.99, or maybe even lower, who knows. Maybe im looking at this from the wrong angle, perhaps my perspective is off, IDK. EITHER WAY, cannot WAIT for this to drop.

Talbs and bx59 like this.
  17. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    still discussing about this price nonsense in almost 2021?!?

come on, 15 bucks for such an art greatness and many hours of fine gameplay seems to me more than a fair price.

subgenius and pathogen541 like this.
  18. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    EXACTLY. Like, wtf....if you don’t like it just ignore and move on. I’m STOKED this is even coming out on mobile. It’s insane the price thing continues to even be a point of conversation..... suppose I’m not helping either tho, posting my fired up diatribes...

subgenius and Gwarmaxx like this.
  19. RpgN

RpgN Active Member

Aug 27, 2020
    Female
    Hey everyone,

Thank you for replying and taking your time. I could reply to every point and explain how I see things differently but I’m not out to ruin everyone’s excitement. In fact, I am also glad the game is finally coming to iOS. I’ve had many opportunities to get the game on GoG for €3 and I waited in hopes of having it announced. That and the fact that the GoG version is apparently very buggy. Btw, what is the chance of those kind of bugs being fixed on the iOS version?

My opinion is not just about the game specifically. It is me worried about a general trend where slowly all premium games will rise in price. Honestly, it pains me whenever I read comments where members don’t care and always welcome price increases. I didn’t mean to attack the game or derail the thread. It sounds like this topic is discussed often here. I am sorry to add more to it. I’ll try and leave it at that.

Some members mentioned that iOS games will never get as expensive as console games. That would be great. I can only hope.

Mr. Charley likes this.
  20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #20 psj3809, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    To me some premium priced games will go up in price as simply put they need to make money. Not as many people buy premium so I can see why prices might be higher.

It’ll never be more than console priced games (if released at the same time) but you can’t compare this game on PC for a few quid when it’s been out forever. Must take time and work to get this game working on iOS

This is why we get so much freemium rubbish. People don’t want to buy premium

as for price rises when did KOTOR come out ? A few years back. This new one being $5 more is nothing. Lots of premium priced games are that price or more

ThirdMoon likes this.