Universal Deathsmiles (by Cave)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    It saves items purchased from the store.

2. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    I don't have an iDevice with me right now, so could someone tell me if Deathsmiles made GOTW? Or if not, which game did? Thanks :)

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Swords and Soldiers won GotW.

4. plasmakirby3

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    Aww, that's kinda disappointing. But I haven't had a chance to really check that game out, so maybe it's fair.

I just watched a youtube review of Deathsmiles and the controls don't seem to be much of a problem at all! Your thumb pretty much stays in the corner the whole time, so if you use medium screen size you'll never cover up the play area. The reviewer did lift his thumb up a few times but I do that all the time in DDP:R so I don't have a problem with that.

5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Are people who are complaining about the controls using the large screen res? Again, I use the small screen and I have had no problems with controls at all...

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
  7. plasmakirby3

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
  8. WCFields

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    how????

How do you unlock the other characters?

9. plasmakirby3

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    You start off with all the characters, but Tiara is the only playable character in iPhone mode. To play as the 4 angels, just choose Arcade mode.

10. WCFields

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    thanks!

11. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    This might be my favorite iOS Cave game so far just cause it has full manual shot controls for once...unfortunately I have no clue how the scoring system works to actually take advantage of that. I just asked them on Twitter about incorporating manual shot with Espgaluda II and DDP:R, hopefully they're willing to incorporate that. It's my biggest beef with those games cause it makes it a lot harder to score/play well without it.

12. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I got both and DS would totally take my vote for GotW. S&S wins in the graphics department, though.

13. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Esp and DDP do have an option in the settings to enable a shot on/off button.

14. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    I think he meant buttons which only shoot when pressed.

15. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I think, the scoring system is pretty easy (that's what I love compared to the other Cave shooters). Use your normal shot to quickly ramp up the counter to 1000 and then go into power-up mode. In power-up mode, only use the laser as your weapon since then enemies are releasing heaps of bonus points (the screen really bursts with collectables). The secret then is to learn WHEN to start power-up mode (at level parts with big or lots of enemies).

That's about it, I guess. Or did I miss something?

In iPhone mode, you can also influence the score by the items from the shop, there you just need to check the item description.

Btw, I love the upgrade system, one of the many reasons, why this is my favorite shmup of all.

16. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    It's in here too. Options - Settings - Controls - Auto Shot on/off

17. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    I did not buy the continue thought that it can be used once per play session, turned out that it's permanent.

And you have to buy continue otherwise if you die (normal mode) the score won't be recorded. Also the chest more likely to appear in the game only after you buy that. Strange game decisions.

What's the grayed out preview button serves for?

18. plasmakirby3

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    No, he means buttons that make the character shoot only while held down. Kind of like the "hold" option for the laser in DDP

19. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    That might be it...I just don't know the scoring because I never looked it up myself :p. When I got the 360 one a while back I was just focused on surviving cause I was doing pretty bad in it.
    Kind of yeah...kind of what the other guy said too. If you turn auto shot off it makes it like the regular arcade shot button setup (mostly*), where you tap to shoot the regular shot and hold it for the laser, or just don't touch it to not shoot.

In Espg.II and DDP:R you only have auto shot, with separate shot off/on and laser on/off buttons (on opposite ends to make it worse). It makes scoring a pain in the ass, especially Espg.II where you'd want to switch to awakening mode, turn shot off to milk for more bullets, then shot on and laser to finish something off. With a manual shot you'd just need to hit the awakening button then hold down the shot button when the time comes.

*The difference in DS being that you could left/right shot at the same time for the lock on, understandable that they have a separate button for it here. Hell I think the arcade and 360 version even had it as an optional 4th button too.

20. Ricinator

Ricinator Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Australia
    So what's the difference between normal shot and laser? I still can't figure it out...:confused: