Universal Deathsmiles (by Cave)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Finally broke the 100 million barrier :D THIS GAME IS SOO MUCH FUN!!!! When i first played deathsmiles, it look really bad compared to DDP but now i am loving it! Just want an ipad to play it on!!

2. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Yeah, I agree with you pretty much 100%, with the caveat that I haven't played it enough yet to say for sure where it ranks overall for me in the scheme of Cave games. I am currently just enjoying it, trying to remember the levels a bit, but mostly just enjoying everything about it. My next step is to try to figure out the scoring, and then I can probably place it with the other games, according to how much I like it.

The game is ace though; I'm not sure why so many people are let down by it.

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Wow!
    I am loving it on level 3. Total carnage! But also at first I had a nits good feeling. It's a game that grew on me

4. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Misunderstandings, most likely. I'm seeing all of the same complaints being rehashed as other CAVE games:

There's no retina: current gen iDevices don't have the power to run the game in retina
    Too easy overall: Play in hard mode. Attempt to score higher.
    Too easy to finish: Unlimited continues are there for you to practice and enjoy the game. Your score ends when the first does.
    Controls: Change the configuration to your liking.
    Price: You can't find better shooters for any price.
    Crashing/Framerate issues: Restart your device first, and keep it up to date and uncracked.
    Visuals are too busy: Made by design. And isn't it satisfying to pass a screen full of bullets, or scoop up a ton of gold/stars/skulls?

5. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    after playing on novice level i thought the game is not as hard as other cave's games, but now on normal i can not finish it even with 2 continues, the last level is just something, and that's great. :cool:

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Try level 3

7. Coldcoffee

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Do you mean rank 3 in arcade by level 3?

If so try deathmode in practice ;)

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #148 syntheticvoid, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
    yeah, practicing in Deathmode is AMAZING fun!!! =oD

I really can't believe this is playing so well on the iOS... it just blows my mind that Cave has come to the iDevice so well!! =oD

Really hope they keep bringing over more games!! I will buy every single one, even at full price (because really, $9 for DDPR or ESP... COME ON!!! =oO ) lol... woohoo!!

**edit**

just now trying iPhone mode on Hard... should be even more fun... took me 6 tries to get through it on Normal mode with 3 continues... god I suck... BUT I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! =oD

**another edit... hehe...***

AND WOAH!!! Killing enemies on Hard Mode is CRAZY hard... I can barley kill half of them before they disappear off screen again... =o/

Guess I really need to power up my shot + laser... =oP

9. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Oh yeah, now that you mention it...those old chestnuts do seem to be popping up time and again throughout the thread.

I obviously have no idea how it upscales on an iPad, but the thing that confuses me is people complaining about the graphics. I mean, seriously? Looks pretty great to me, especially if you like 16-bit style pre-rendered figures and rich background art. Anything lost in the way of retina display is more than made up for with the amazing visual design and atmosphere, character design, and all those crazy-ass bullets flying around. CAVE's games are always some of the best-looking to me.

That's not even to mention the sound and music, which is of course totally top notch. The game is "short" in terms of how many levels there are, but as usual it is quality over quantity with CAVE, and I presume there is a ton of replayability as well, once you start getting into scoring strategies.

I guess it is inevitable that people will be disappointed, because they hear about a triple A title coming (which this is) and then they find it's not really up their alley. Danmakus turn a lot of people off, I think because they are so claustrophobic and intense by nature, especially if they're done right. Still, the reaction here is surprising to me, I guess because I figured posters here would already know the drill with this release before it came out. Or, maybe there is just something else going on that I'm missing.

Obviously there are plenty of positive reactions too, I just have a hard time understanding someone feeling this doesn't justify $4.99 USD.

10. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    totally agree... Cave's background art and graphics really are top notch when you actually realize how much is really going on on the screen... especially in Hard Modes, when there's HUNDREDS of bullets on the screen at once...

=oP

and oh yeah... how bad do I suck?

I just got the One Hit Kill achievement...

"Lost all your lives to one bullet"

11. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Going to try now

12. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I ran into a bug when playing last night. I can't remember if it was in iPhone or Arcade mode but I went to another app to check my e-mail or something else then when I went back to DeathSmiles to continue playing the game the audio wasn't playing. I had to completely quit the game and start it back up for the audio to start working again.

13. Coldcoffee

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    I remember the older games having the same bug too! They fixed it after someone told them about it on their twitter feed.

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    yeah I've been having that happen too... should write em... =oP

15. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Approxiametly, how long is Deathsmiles? How many hours does it take to complete the game?

16. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Well, it's an arcade game, so it takes about 30 minutes to complete each mode. But the point of the game is the high scoring, and while I don't know how long this will keep me coming back, by comparison I have spent probably 8-10 hours or more total playing Dodonpachi Resurrection, and I don't even have a slightly decent score. If you want to really get good at one of these, you can just sign your life away for a couple of months, I guess.

17. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

That depends on what you mean by "complete", the game has 8 levels in total and can be beaten in under a half an hour. There are 4 different characters to choose from in arcade mode with multiple endings and a fifth character in iPhone mode with a leveling system. This is a game that heavily encourages multiple play-throughs, it's short but it's certainly not lacking in content.

18. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Tried .... What am I supposed to see.
    Now, I moved to the iPhone mode, this is super nice!

19. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I play Dodonpachi in 1mame4all and the rom is 7.5MB. Dodonpachi for ios is approximately a hundred times larger. The graphics are better on ios, but not significantly. If that's so, then there's no excuse for the size of the game being so large, especially if it isn't built from the ground up for ios. Also, most shmups are on rails you have limited forward and backward mobility in a horizontal shmup, so neither of your points make sense. A game like Spacetripper has full freedom of movement, but the the playing field is limited in size. Battlezone has an infinite size field with complete freedom of movement, but I wouldn't call it a shmup.

20. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    In the iPhone mode where level your character and buy new items, does it save the things you have bought for the next playthrough, or do you start over every time?