Universal Deathsmiles (by Cave)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    For once, toucharcade seems a lot harsher than the App Store reviews. Most people are saying that Deathsmiles is CAVE's best work yet, and the star ratings are:

***** = 43
    **** = 2
    *** = 1
    ** = 0
    * = 0

Average = *****

I also checked and noticed that the 3-star rating came from someone complaining about it crashing on iOS 5. Hmm....

2. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just curious, why do you guys think Deathsmiles is worse/better than DDPR or ESPII?

For someone who doesn't have any of these 3, which one would you recommend at the "best" iOS Cave shooter (not counting M. Bug Panic)?

3. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say Deathsmiles is any worse, or better. It's just different. All 3 have very different mechanics, with very different scoring techniques.

4. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Looks terrible on my 4G Touch and my iPad 2. You can set the screen size to the smallest size and then do 2x on the iPad and it looks better, but still bad. Probably gonna pass after playing Espgaluda and DoDonPachi. I just can't handle the low res graphics; it affects my ability to play these games to a great degree.

5. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    totally agreed...

I'd say watch youtube videos, and see which one you think you'd be more comfortable with... I really thought that ESPGaluda was the best to start out with, but after I learned the scoring, and saw how much you actually had to use the buttons to get higher scores, it got A LOT harder. DoDonPachi is probably your best bet if you're just going to get one of them. The scoring is a little tricky at first, but once you get it, it really makes sense, and you can start to see when the best times to do what are. I actually JUST unlocked the regular 2nd loop, after about 6 months of having the game. =o/

I know... sad... but I still have the hidden 2nd loop to unlock, and I really think that it'll take me another 6 months to do that. =oP

As for Deathsmiles, I haven't really had enough time to get the scoring, or really even get into the game... and I've run through iPhone mode 4 times and Arcade Mode 3 times... I don't know if it would be a good intro to the Cave games... someone who's bought it without having DDPR or ESPGaluda should probably answer that one. =oP

But really, I'd say DoDonPachi is your best bet as the best introduction to Cave games.

6. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Aside from the screen orientation issue (let me flip it, Cave) and some awkwardness in the use of the iPhone mode shop, I'm really impressed with this game.

The controls haven't been an issue for me and the graphics are superior to Cave's other iOS titles, at least on my 3GS.

7. AOR

AOR Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Independent game developer
    San Francisco
    Same here, man. I really do wish I could flip it though! I'm hoping they implement some sort of option for it in the future.

8. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I find it hard to believe this when rage hd and infinity blade can both run on iPad and iphone4. Also, horizontal shmups are much harder to control than vertical shmups, at least without a physical controller IMHO. See assault squadron which has both modes.

9. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks for your feedback.. I'm "feeling" this game a lot more vs the DDPR or ESPII (based on the lite version)... Its mostly due to the "similarity" to Castlevania art style, and mostly cause of the lite RPG elements with all the random drops. I love getting the random loot. If it wasn't due to these, I think I'd have a harder time picking between these 3... Of course I know someone's gonna say just get them all.. =D

10. rekirtS

rekirtS Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2011
    If you're feeling this and like the lite version by all means buy this game especially while its at a slightly lower price, otherwise you'll pay another 4 dollars if you wait too long. This game is not bad just not to some peoples taste and I'm having a very fun time with it.

11. kimdoocheol

kimdoocheol Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    I would say overall I think ds is easier. I think the other two games are more true to the genre. I like ds more because of the items though.

Anybody know how you get 100 mil + for a score? I never use my power up so my bonus caps out at 10k per item but still can't get near those high scores?

12. NuclearWinter

NuclearWinter Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Those are 3D games though. Having all those 2d sprites in a Cave title be high resolution could be massively memory intensive.

13. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010

Those games only look that good because everything in them is scripted and on rails, they were designed to LOOK good, and that is about it, at the expense of content, freedom of movement, depth of gameplay, and disc space. Yes, they look great, but they were designed from the ground up for the iOS(unlike cave games, which are designed for specialized arcade boards in mind, and then ported to fit the iOS), and thus optimizing them is much simpler.

But the very fact that the developers had to limit the actual gameplay and content soo much in those games, speaks volumes about the true capabilities for the systems power. It can't handle those graphics in full fledged games, only on-rails scripted style games. Or more importantly, it can't handle full fledged games, with those graphics, as the file size would be many GB's over what any sane person would put up with.

14. matrixman

matrixman Member

Jul 8, 2011
    pretty cool for a flight shooting game

15. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    This game plays fine on iOS and the control issues are being overstated, in my opinion.

Complaining about it being too easy without having played the hardest mode seems misguided, but perhaps I just learned from experience. Danmaku Unlimited anyone?

Gameplay trumps graphics for me and the gameplay is good. I don't really have an issue with the graphics anyway, though, as I think they are a fairly large departure from the average shmup, which I respect.

Having said that, it isn't my favorite CAVE game, but I didn't expect it to be. That's primarily because their other games are so freakin' perfect, but I also prefer scraping and a vertical orientation.

I would recommend this to any true fan of shmups.

16. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Easy? May be I am lame and there is no generous continue which you have to buy. I think iOS lacks side scrollers and this is the best in the league of R-type.

You can keep saving for RD/HD/Universal whilst the rest of the shooter fans are enjoying as is...not to mention it is in Cave's tradition to mark it up real soon (if not in the time of typing) and Cave rarely go eson sale. I wish you all the best of luck.

17. FL!ppY

FL!ppY Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Maybe already said, but it's hard to see what's coming from the left of the screen, for me, it's often covered by my thumb. Any tip guys ?

18. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #138 eev, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
    the best way i think is to control with finger on right hand and set screen size to medium or to small.

19. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    Try Using control Type-C and using a thumb and index finger!

20. FL!ppY

FL!ppY Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Thx guys, i realized that i didn't even check the options yet :)

Imma try that