Universal Deathsmiles (by Cave)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Thanks for all the answers to my questions. So it sounds like it's more about high scores than finishing the game. I'll have to think about it some more. There are so many different opinions about this game that make it hard to decide whether to buy it or not.

2. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
  3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    @INTERNETFRIEND: point taken. And, welcome to TA! No more lurking for you. Unfortunately, that means no more promo codes since they all go to lurkers ;)

4. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    What Control settings do you guys use?~ i have tried playing with both thumbs and type A control settings and once with my left thumb and right index finger and Type C controls, using an index finger obstructs less of the screen and looks better to me!

Also do you use auto-shot or manual shot?~

5. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I just use the small screen size and I have no problems at all with the controls or my fingers getting in the way. It's weird because it works flawlessly for me here, but in some other danmaku games, such as Fast Striker, I can't get used to playing in landscape.

6. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Am I the only one who's not impressed? It's very hard to control on the small screen and the graphics aren't sharp on my iphone4.

7. Herosoft Ltd

Herosoft Ltd Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Yup. Cave games on iOS is a brilliant thing, it's just that of all the Cave games Cave could have ported to iOS, Deathsmiles is an awful choice. It was never going to be able to get a game that plays the way DS does to work well with touchscreen-only controls, it's just not as well suited to the format as ESP2 and DDPR.

8. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    #110 plasmakirby3, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    Just read through the entire thread and wow...I have never seen so much negative feedback for a CAVE title! I'm sure the game is still great, but I'm starting to wonder how much of a problem those controls are gonna be. I'm not worried about the graphics at all though, since my device doesn't have retina in the first place. And I'm obviously still going to buy this as soon as I get my iPod back.

9. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    I'm loving the game so far. I play with the smallest screen option and have no problems with fingers or thumbs obstructing my view. Love the RPG style approach they took with the iPhone mode and while the banishing mini game for bosses is kind of lame I can understand why Cave just tried tossing a touch screen element to the iPhone mode.

Very happy to have DeathSmiles with me at all times now. :D

10. Soullus794

Soullus794 Member

May 29, 2010
    Student
    Illinois
    I agree, not having retina in this day and age is unacceptable. Not to mention the game doesn't use the full screen and no retina? Yuck! Gameplay is really fun, but there is no excuse for this game not being optimized for the 4th gen.

11. Herosoft Ltd

Herosoft Ltd Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2010
    There's very little excuse for no multitasking support and no screen flip from a professional publisher either.

12. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I agree with both of these comments. I would think that these features have been out long enough to make it so that any app released these days includes them. It should just be a given thing to do.

13. kimdoocheol

kimdoocheol Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2011
    doesn't this game support multitasking? i can go to the home screen, repick the app up in my dock, and it starts paused right where i left off.

14. plasmakirby3

plasmakirby3 Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Junior in High School
    Northern California
    From the Ustream live blog:

12:31 Retina display support-> we want to do compatibility, but we don't have enough memory on existing devices

12:32 Retina display -> we'll have to wait for iPhone5

15. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
  16. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    So I gave up and took it.
    It take about 30 mins to finsh an the optional and fina stages a epic!! Wow! I only wish they were all like this.
    The game is lot of fun and i can understand the lack of hd since on ipad1 I experience occasional lag. I wonder on my coming ipad2.
    Nevertheless the game is so fast that there i do not care about lack of hd even doubled up.
    I have little issue about the control.
    All in all, a good cave. Yes the worst of the four on iOS, but better than most not cave!

17. killwhitey

killwhitey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I'm loving it. working on the last stage in between actually working, it's been a blast! sound effects, sprites, music are all amazing. never played DS aside from iOS so maybe the x360 version is better (and I'd HOPE it was!) but for 5 bucks you really can't go wrong with this one. haven't even tried iphone mode but after reading all of this, I'm itching to.