Universal Deathsmiles (by Cave)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. teidon

teidon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Anyone having luck playing this on iOS 5 beta2? I downloaded the Lite on my 3GS, but it crashes when I select stage. Menus works just fine though. Tried rebooting but it's the same.

2. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

That's weird, I found the sprites to be quite good for a low res game and I've been playing it on the iPad in 2X.. The border size is changeable in settings.

3. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Well the games including this one that are getting released are not made especially for IOS 5 so i don't think the developers would be making the game so that it worked on IOS 5 yet. As after all IOS 5 is meant to be for Dev's only.

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Hahaha, it's your first iOS Cave game right? How about some more space for your thumb to not cover the action? ;) And you can adjust the screen size.

5. EnShinNoi

EnShinNoi Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I didn't realise the border could be changed. As for the sprites, Even for low res they're nowhere near the likes of the Castlevania games on DS (best example of what I was expecting).

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Oh well... Herosoft is still constantly making malicious remarks.

7. teidon

teidon Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    I know, I wasn't complaining about that. Just asking if it works on iOS 5 beta 2 at all or is it only broken on 3GS. And they do eventually need to fix it, preferably before iOS 5 launches officially.

Anyways, there's couple comments on Twitter about it not working on iOS 5. Not sure if they are using iPhone 3GS or 4 though.

8. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #68 Vovin, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

Well, no no no! You can't critisize him, because he is a (taken from his apps description):

I expect something better from a "professional game journalist" than the things he wrote. Describing something as "crap" is even worse.

Deathsmiles it a bit short, but the other games weren't really much longer. But these games are not about having 100+ levels, at least in CAVE's case. In Cave games, you need to go for the perfect score. That's the main motivation. Train, learn, fight. Try squeezing the last point out of it.
    This was especially fun in Mushihimesama Bug Panic.

9. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    The way you describe your playthrough, its seems you are just treating this game as a normal shump. You really have no idea how many times you have to use the buttons in ESP Or DDP to score do you? Try scoring and completing the game at Normal difficulty at the same time.

But i must agree, this is not the best CAVE game (For me that would be DDPR or Bug Panic). But it sure is enjoyable :D

10. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #70 gunxsword, Jul 7, 2011
    Oh and this game's graphics is mostly (if not entirely?) made up of hand drawn sprites so imagine how much more work and file size would be required make this game look good on a screen that is a few times bigger than its native display resolution?

I now see the reason (or part of it) behind this person's 'awful graphic' accusation.
    And to 'help' you on the finger obscuring screen part, what device(s) are you playing on? Assuming you're playing on an iPhone or the ipod, you can move your thumb to another section of the screen to move your character. I do that a lot - moving my left thumb to the top left corner of the screen when my character is at the bottom left and vice versa. It may sound like a lot of fuss on paper but in practice it's natural instinct.

Anyway, not really trying to start a flame war or anything, just correcting or to an extent trying to resolve some issues that you have with this game.

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

No.

A "professional game journalist" looks at all aspects of a game and spends a lot of time with the game, to fully understand it. Not just a quick rush on a lower or normal difficulty and immediately after that pulling out the sledgehammer to bash it.
    But nobody disallows you to lie in an app description.

You even didn't seem to grab the main reason to play Cave's games, thanks for proving that.

12. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Another insta-buy. These guys simply do not disappoint. 5 bucks for a certifiably stupendous bullet hell shooter. Some people are mad about this. And I absolutely LOVE that I have to use both thumbs, if I choose.

Beautiful. Affordable. FUN. This would look awesome in 3D. I really hope the next iPhone has a mystery glassless 3D function.

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I'd like to see that guide. Maybe he's the best DDPR player without needing to press them buttons?

I really like Deathsmiles. I'd love to see more modes for this. :)

14. userfume

userfume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Found another problem - when new weapons and upgrades start appearing in the shop, I can see them there, but all say waiting for product information- after 15 minutes, it still hadn't finished. This means I cannot upgrade tiara with the new equipment, and I have loads of gold - pisses me off

15. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    WHAT DID YOU DO in the 15 minutes :confused::eek::D:D:D:D:D:D
    Well, my interpretation of that is 'waiting for production information' as in waiting for the player to reach/meet certain requirements in the game to 'gather' information and unlock the item for purchase.
    I don't want to admit it but my first response was 'turn off wi-fi' and see what happens :p

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    well, it's another top game from cave but i think ddpr and espgaluda are still better, at least in my opinion. because of more action and more interesting scoring systems. however this one is definitely the best side scroller shmup game in the appstore. ;)

17. bluermlou

bluermlou Active Member

Jan 12, 2011
    #77 bluermlou, Jul 7, 2011
    im running an iphone 4 with iOS 5b2 and sadly the full and lite versions of the game crash on both iphone 4 and ipad 2. fairly frustrated over it. mainly because all their previous games work on the current build of iOS 5 flawlessly. :(:(:(

also - per Cave's Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/cave_world_en/status/88920507461812224

more :( :( :(

here's hoping future betas of iOS 5 will get stabler and the game may be up and running on it in a few weeks.

18. Putosaure

Putosaure Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    I don't know why you are complaining about incompatibility issues with an OS in beta state. Seriously.

19. Kai555

Kai555 Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Student
    Why the restore button in the option does not work? Any 'special requirement' to use that (not that I want to use it).

20. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    It works, You just need to be online
    But i wonder why the IAP don't show up yet?~