Universal Deathsmiles (by Cave)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 6, 2011.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOAH..,. woah woah woah woah...

ONLY Novice mode???? WTF is that!?!?! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

My excitement for this just went WAY down...

2. Putosaure

Putosaure Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Game is epic. Seriously.

But I've to agree with the few negative that had been already posted, especially orientation one (dammit !).

3. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #23 gunxsword, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
    EXTRA LEVEL THE GORGE IS A MURDER HOLE!!!!!!!! I lost 3/4 of my life bar there!!! And mind you I'm fully equipped with the best equipment available (1st playthrough). See the stage for yourself... the end boss really surprised me...

I've now finished iPhone mode on novice, including extra stage 'the gorge'. Normal difficulty and various items are unlocked.

Oh and I take back 'playing game on normal/hard right off the bat' statement... the latter stages even on novice is anything but novice... I guess it's intended to force the player to get used to the difficulty curve.

The character has 1 life bar that doesn't regenerate, so any damages are carried over for the whole game session. Continues can be purchased for:
    CORRECTION!!! Purchase the FIRST continue +1 at 1000, second at 10000 and 3rd at 80000. Not sure if there are any more...
    MORE CORRECTION!!! There's a life up power up that fully refills your life bar in stage B2. It's the 4wd car half way through the level.
    (how do you put a line through the words?)
    *Edit: suffering from post-adrenalin rush... hands shaking... mind is numb... seeing bullets everywhere...

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    WOW!!!!
    Best iOS Cave game yet! And that's saying a lot! I'm having so much fun. The level design is fantastic, controls CAVE (!), everything over the top, the bosses are some of the most ridiculous I've ever seen. So, so, so great. Just can't put it down. Again: Wow!

Get it, everyone, just get it.

5. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Out in the US!

6. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    After 60 min of intense play i can put my hands on fire and say that this is the best shmup ever on iOS devices... design, mechanic, enemy variety, it's all at the perfect state... definitely another CAVE KILLER APP.

Fool who miss this game!

7. quantumsheep

quantumsheep Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    The Head Cheese, Top Dog, Numero Uno Honcho, Quant
    London
    Almost done downloading...

I'm so looking forward to this! But it's gone 4am here and have a game of my own to finish!

Must... resist...

QS :D

8. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    A lite version was released tonight as well.

9. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Huh? Is anyone going be bothered with the lite? JUST DOWNLOAD THE FULL GAME!!!

Damn I died really early in the last stage of iPhone mode normal difficulty... I HATE YOU SADISTIC BULLETS!!! :D

10. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Imagine Castlevania, but you can fly around the screen anywhere effortlessly, you have a huge laser canon, and your enemies are flying at you from every direction trying to blast you out of the sky. Now take out the exploration, and you have what may be for me the most imidiately enjoyable bullet-hell shmup on the iOS, and maybe the best Cave game on the iOS.

11. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    Well, believe it or not I'm not really a fan of bullet hell games. But after playing the lite version, wow, I'm really having to resist plunking down the $4.99 for this.

Damn. Lite. Version. Of. Awesome. Game.

The music is great and practically worth buying it just for that.

Is this an introductory price that will go up? Anyone know how long this price will last?

12. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Simply brilliant. While I love Cave's "classic" BH games, I actually prefer Bug Panic and this since they add such nice elements to the genre. I can certainly see why this developer has such a stellar reputation.

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    And the day Cave gives us a retina Game, I burst in tears of joy :)
    Damn, this game is so freakin' good!

14. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Does the game need to connect to the internet to view the shop items or something? It takes forever every time I want to check the shop.

15. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    According to Cave's official Deathsmiles page : http://www.cave-world.com/en/games/deathsmiles.html

4 Days after the release date the price will go up!

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    this game isn't too bad. it's not super amazing but it's pretty decent. i do like the new additions to the game play but of course retina would be the deal maker for me. but i guess the file size is already pretty big?

17. Andiron

Oct 14, 2010
    DAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNN YOOOOOOOUUUUUU TTTTTAAAAA!!!!

Deleted lite version and bought full version. *sigh* I have such a love/hate relationship with this website...

(Thanks)

18. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    Played through Arcade mode once and died right at the end of iPhone mode, continues cost money in that mode so I couldn't try a second time to clear it. Going to bed so I will have to give it a shot tomorrow. Good news for those complaining about difficulty in iPhone mode though because looking at the Game Center achievements it seems to indicate there are also a Normal and Hard difficulty. ;)

And Arcade mode plays just like the original with the option of Level 1,2, or 3 when selecting a level.

19. Aldex Oun

Aldex Oun Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    I hope there is a hard mode, I'm watching the credits right now. I played through the entire iPhone mode without getting hit once, that's novice mode for you. ;)

Edit: It seems that every time you beat the game, a new difficulty is unlocked. Normal mode is now unlocked, maybe this will offer a little bit of a challenge this time around.

20. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Just picked this up myself along with a couple of other new releases I've never played it but I did like dondonpachi and I'm curious about the side scrolling.
    I always seem to end up buying games in batches I wish they were spaced out a little more.
    I'll leave impressions when I eventually give it a good play.