Deathsmiles - by CAVE (releasing on July 7th)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by strivemind, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    That's my main concern: I don't want to use my thumb to navigate - it's too big for this tiny screen (and I don't have big thumbs at all).

2. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

Official English trailer

3. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Why don't they make these annoucements just the day before the release... Can't wait a new Cave game and this one seems rather exceptional.

Anyway, I'll buy Guwange on 360 this evening, as a consolation...

4. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    First of all I am a huge fan of Cave games especially Dodonpachi game!
    This one would be instant buy for me only if it would be in vertical mode like Espgaluda and Dodonpachi but landscape mode will make me think twice to spend 9 dollars. I found very difficult for me to play with left hand because I'm right handed and if I play with right then I'm blocking my view of enemies. It's nearly all that I hate about Flying Hamster and Assault Squadron.

That lets me one option - spend 9 dollars on game and turn iphone vertical and play it all upside down :(

5. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
    I'm a bit worried about that too. Played assault squadron in vertical -- looked weird, but hey. Just wonder how will I tolerate the horizontal arrangement this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited, but not as excited as before with DDP. Here's hope that their next port will be a vertical one (Ketsui!).

6. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I like the cave shooters especially dodonpachi. Some concerns though. Horizontal shmups are much more difficult to play than vertical shmups. Retina graphics and ipad level graphics should be available, considering the price of the apps.

7. Krorg

Krorg New Member

Sep 30, 2010
    I like this being a horizontal scroller. At least Cave are mixing things up with their games.

I hope that there is an iPhone mode designed for quick games. Bug Panic was good for this where you could play just one level and still improve your high score.

8. Coldcoffee

Coldcoffee Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Student
    Monkey Island
    I haven't played Deathsmiles ever, but if you have played it and progear, I have a question. Is it similar to progear as far as scoring is concerened? From what i have seen, it does look like it. I liked progear :D

9. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    I agree. Assault squadron has both vertical and horizontal modes and the horizontal mode is very difficult to control on the small screen. I said this before, for such expensive games, they should make it a retina, or better yet, universal game.

10. japtor

japtor Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I forget honestly, but I think there might be some similarities. I think it's by the same designer as Progear so I'm sure it has at least some similarity. And if you have a 360 you might as well pick it up if you're in a region that got a release.
    They said they need more RAM to make it happen. It might be possible on iPhone 4 but I doubt they'd bother with locking out the iPads and iPod touch.

On the plus side they already have high res sprites for the 360 versions of games, so whenever they decide to do it they won't have to redraw everything again.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Canada
    So aside from Spring 2011 did they narrow the time frame for release down at all? Has Cave made any comments about what month it may be released?

12. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    retina, retina, retina, retina!!!!!!

13. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    =o)

Just posting so I'll know the day it's released...

I'm so excited!! Absolutely LOVE the 3 Cave games in the AppStore ATM.

14. unbrokenchain33

unbrokenchain33 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    anything new on this?

15. jwei44

jwei44 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    High School Graduating
    California
    Retina doesn't matter in Shmups to me. Too busy paying attention to bullets more than pixels

16. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    I have a dream, and it involves retina updates for all of caves games.

It may be a long shot but one can hope.

17. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    It's been the only thing holding me back from buying any of them.
    Failure to add Retina support for current technology shows me
    the level of commitment from the developer...

I know bullet hell doesn't get any finer than Cave, but there's no
    excuse other than laziness for lack of a Retina update.

iPhone4 is soon to be a year old and tons of other developers
    have updated by now. I know I'm missing out, but call it standards.

18. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I might be wrong but one reason Cave doesnt have retina display for its shooter is coz iPhone 4 probably cant handle these games at that high a resolution. Thats the only reason I can think of for cave not having an iPad version either. Though the ipad 2 should be more than capable of handling Cave shooters now.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #40 MidianGTX, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
    I always figured it was just too much work. These games aren't exactly new, the DDP games are almost 15 years old by now and we're lucky even to see ports. Asking them to redraw every single sprite from scratch would be a ton more work and we still wouldn't have seen a single release from them due to all the time it'd take.

Edit: Of course, when they're done with the ports and start making more iOS exclusives I'd like to see retina support.