Universal Death Worm (by PlayCreek)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VeganTnT, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Starscream1017

Starscream1017 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2010
    this game has 10 achievements. not 15

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Well at first I hated it. Something about it just wasn't as fun or inviting as Super Mega Worm. However, after I played for 20 more minutes or so (I got to Stage 13), my complaints got tinier and tinier. At first, I hated the joystick controls, because I'm so used to the controls on Super Mega Worm. I still prefer the slider controls for Super Mega Worm, but the joystick in this one isn't as bad as I initially felt.

One big problem I have with the joystick is that it's very difficult to go into slow motion. It's easy as pie zipping around the screen faster than you can say "Quidditch", but when you actually have to slow down in order to aim yourself towards a power-up, I have a very hard time doing that. It can be done, but not very smoothly. Again, this could be because of how used to Super Mega Worm I am, but it is still a giant annoyance.

Other than the controls being less than stellar, there seems to be much more content in this game than Super Mega Worm. There are several different stages that you can unlock, what appears to be a batch of minigames (well there is only one now, but they'll add more in the future, if the menu is to be believed), and the level progression had a bit more originality than Super Mega Worm.

That being said, I don't have nearly as much fun as in Super Mega Worm. Something about that game is just more inviting, more fun, and way less frustrating. There's a great deal of frustration in this game, and that stems from both the controls and some of the objectives, the most frustrating of which send you on a journey to kill ## enemies without getting killed. Something about that objective has been filled with total frustration, and I can't pinpoint exactly why.

So I still prefer Super Mega Worm. In my eyes, it's way more fun and way easier to pick up and play. The controls in this I feel are inferior, but maybe that judgment will change when I play it for a few more hours.

Cliffnotes:
    -I still enjoy Super Mega Worm a lot more
    -More content in this, less fun
    -Controls are seriously annoying

3. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    It does. Look in the options.

4. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    +1

Thanks for exactly putting down my impressions :D

5. Am I the only one who likes the controls in this game more than in Super Death Worm? =/

6. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Seconded.

7. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    They're way better in Death Worm but Super Mega Worm has a bit more personality. They're both meh at best, though.

8. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks for saving me a buck or two.

9. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Losing the speech bubbles and pulling the camera so far back was a horrible idea. The game loses lots of its original charm because of, what I consider, these mistakes.

That being said, the game is loads of fun. I like and loathe the level up system, because in Super Mega Worm you acquired and used them until you died. This game is going for realism. Why? I don't know. And it makes absolutely so sense for a giant-ass worm-eating-people-exploding-helicopters to be worried about physics and when and where to use mouth fireballs. But I digress.

The graphics are nice, but I can barely appreciate them being that, again, the camera is so damn zoomed out.

Hey, devs, can you fix this please? And while you're add it bring back the mom and her baby and speech bubbles. These additions would make this the definitive version. As is, it's great, but it could be so much more.

10. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I'm assuming you dont realize that Death Worm and Super Mega Worm are from different developers. Death Worm isn't a sequel to SMW.

11. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    You know the saying: When you assume, you make an ass of you and me.

No offense. I DO in fact know that we're talking two different developers. What I posted was my opinion that the zoomed out play field and lack of personality hurts gameplay, in comparison to the original. That's all.

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Which one is the original?

13. russiaone

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Super Mega Worm, I think

14. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Death Worm was originally made in 2007 and the license was sold to Playcreek for use on iOS,PSP, WinMo, and (i think) Palm

Super Mega Worm is more like an homage to the original game while Death Worm for iOS is more like a remake with all new art

15. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    whilst not being a a huge fan of this style of game i have picked up both DW and SMW to make direct comparrisons.

DW outshines SMW in terms of content there is no doubt although i must admit i do prefer the action close up in SMW.

what annoys me in both the games is the fact its poses no real challenge. first game on DW and im at level 12 or so, nowhere near close to losing a life. takes ages and ages but its way too simple. without that fear factor of being about to die i lose interest in games.

16. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    ^ +1. every game is too long, there is no real challenge. Objectives are so so, simple survival mode would be much more better.

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    lmao.

18. Photon

Photon New Member

Oct 18, 2010
    Is the fireball upgrade not working correctly?

I kept upgrading (it says +1 fireball per powerup) This works initially, taking me from 3 to 4 shots per powerup, but I never seem to get more than 4 shots after further upgrades. Seems like this upgrade is only working the first time?

19. eugekava

eugekava Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Level 15 desert map gets really hard. In fact it was a big jump in difficulty. I love the level structure as opposed to survival. DW is a much better game.

20. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    well im tempted but would like to know what the minigame is anyone know?