Universal Death Road to Canada (by Rocketcat LLC) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2017]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 22, 2017.

1. jdjleo

jdjleo Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Let me guess...2019 and still no cloud save

smfh

archinerate, L.Lawliet and sebgo like this.
  2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    No Cloud Save, but plenty of nice updates. Still playing on my free time when I have the chance. And couldn't beat the extreme modes yet, but I am not giving up.

If Streets of Rogue and Caves of Qud make way to phones, I think I am set for a lifetime of rogue experiences. lol

At least until Rocketcat makes their next big-game (I wonder if the zelda-like death road is still planned for being next).

3. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Literally the only thing I expect them to add.

4. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    i was excited about this update adding the op party selection mode, thinking i would finally have a chance to beat the game one freaking time.
    imagine my disappointment when i found out it is an unlockable mode for people who have beaten all the other modes in wxtreme difficulty.
    If you made this cheat -like mode, make it available for everybody to be able to reach the end even once and remove the achievments and scores and whatnot for the competitive people when choosing this mode.

5. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Is that true?? What a bummer. I updated the game but I'm busy playing KR right now. I was MOST excited for OP mode to try out characters I could never find (like Hunk). I have beaten the game already a few times but not on every mode in extreme difficulty. I don't think I'll ever be able to do that..

6. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #1086 Dankrio, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Life is about journey not destination. I have died a lot and that's part of the fun on this game. lol

Ask yourself: why do you need so badly to beat it? Is there not enough fun in the game without that? Why so serious?

At the moment, I am on a familiar extreme mode gameplay. I have a pack of 4 reliable chars (always roll random starters, since it is more fun this way), 20+ food, high morale, a golden knife, chainsaw (with 300 gas), assault rifle, uzi and only 3 days left to Canada left. Do you know the best part? Things can go VERY wrong anytime and game over for me. ahhahahaahahahah That's life for you.

But, really, there is plenty of gamebreaking circunstances in your favor that can almost guarantee a sucessful run. However, in the same game, on the very next random event you can be very messed up! Man, I love this game!

And, L. Lawliet, of course you are able to beat extreme difficulty sometime. Have some faith!

Edit: VICTORY! Now, on to Rare Extreme mode (should be easier in theory, just in theory)

7. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    yeap, its not enough when you lnow you will lose by the 2nd or 3rd siege every single time. Especially on a game so rng dependent thet i would need dozens of runs for maybeee something to go my way.
    And it’s eating at me. I am a day1 buyer, i love challenging games and finishing every soulslike i can get on ps4, and i can’t make it past the half of this game because of something happening, one character dying and then snowballing from there to game over.
    And i havent seen or played with 1/10 of the secret characters you can recruit in this game.
    So yeah, this mode would help me experience all the content, and finally, i dont see the harm in enabling it for everyone.

8. Legion180

Legion180 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2015
    it’s on sale in steam

9. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Have just beaten rare characters extreme. Now on to Marathon. Won’t even touch OPP mode until I have finished all other modes.

10. EmilianoDTH

EmilianoDTH Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    It doesn't have any online saving progress (gamecenter, fb, clud, etc) ?? really ?

I was about to purchase this game, as I read A TON of great reviews, but... c'mon.. how come you don't have an online saving progress feature. I will pass for now then.

Alex DeLargest and ioso like this.
  11. Bantocks

Bantocks Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Does this support MFI controllers?

12. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Yup and even multiple mfi players

Bantocks likes this.
  13. EmilianoDTH

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    Still no cloud save ? How can a MOBILE game cost 15 bucks and not have the option to save your progress. Its ridiculous.

Alex DeLargest and Skall like this.
  14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Well maybe the masses aren’t bothered as it’s sold well.

Contact them and ask them

15. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    So the game just updated with a big content and... they didn’t add cloud save yet again. Wonderful.

Worth noting that when they released this update on steam, they added steam cloud.

I’m curious how hard can it be to add? We just got apple arcade release with around 60 games and they all (as far as i know of) have cloud saving. To me it seems not hard at all.

Alex DeLargest, EmilianoDTH and Skall like this.
  16. EmilianoDTH

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    Terrible. Tons of new content and no gamecenter saving. This game costs 15 dollars!

Alex DeLargest likes this.
  17. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Sorry to resurrect this one but this is something I never actually got around to getting and I’ve been thinking of it recently after seeing it on sale on my switch but I do like to have games on my iPhone and I feel like this would be better on my phone.

It seems like it’s being updated still and getting attention but I find it very odd that it is probably one of the only or very very few games that actually costs more on iOS than it does on other platforms? It goes on sale on the switch but from what I can see it never goes on sale on iOS?

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I believe it's because the company said they wanted to reward early buyers and said they'd keep increasing the price on subsequent updates. But I may be confusing what they said for their other game Wayward Souls and not Death Road. But that seems like their mobile gaming policy.

ste86uk likes this.
  19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    This is from an update to Death Road they announced in October of last year:

Alongside this update comes some rather earth-shattering news in the world of Rocketcat. As you may already know, they are known for never putting their mobile games on sale in an act of defiance towards the “race to the bottom" mentality of the App Store. Instead, they actually raise the price of their games by a dollar with each major update, thus rewarding early adopters AND justifying the costs of development of new content. It just makes the most sense to do things this way, but for whatever reason mobile gaming has done things in pretty much the opposite way since its inception. However, they haven’t applied their “no sales" rule to other platforms, and on Steam they’ve had frequent sales with positive results. So starting in December they’ll be including iOS in the various sales they do throughout the year.

So their policy used to be never to do sales, but as of December they've changed their attitude about that and want to start having sales on their iOS stuff. However, Death Road has not been discounted yet, but Wayward Souls did get its first ever price drop back in May. So I would say that this could go on sale pretty much at any time.

If you're looking to only get it on sale then you can wait and see what happens. If you think you might be bummed out if you buy it now and then it goes on sale tomorrow, you'll probably want to wait too. My guess is that a sale will likely coincide with the holiday sales that are coming up, or perhaps the Fall Games Festival or whatever it's called that happens on Steam in the fall. However, if you do buy this at full price I don't think you'll regret it, it's one of the best ever.

ste86uk likes this.
  20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #1100 ste86uk, Aug 21, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    @Boardumb @L.Lawliet ah yes that does sound familiar now and I think that is a good point and would be fair enough if they didn’t discount it on other platforms but doing it elsewhere and not here…

Anyway thank you both I really appreciate that and Boardumb you do make it hard to resist getting it right now but I guess I could wait a little as I’m quite behind with iOS game and only just bought Company of Heroes, Northgard, Dungeon of the Endless, Tesla Force, Dungeon & Puzzles and My time at Portia!