Universal Death Road to Canada (by Rocketcat LLC) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2017]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 22, 2017.

1. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Sarcasm I hope

2. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    What is??:confused::confused:

3. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    I am??.. If that’s the case, nevermind. Thanx, btw#

4. asuanda

asuanda Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Will there ever be multiplayer on the IOS version?

5. idaveharris

idaveharris Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Yes this has been announced for Nintendo Switch!

6. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Happy Valentine's Day! :)

7. archinerate

archinerate Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Will there ever be a cloud save method? I am eagerly waiting :(:(

8. Adamhbaron

Adamhbaron New Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Dear Kepa
    First off I love your game. I play it every day and I always look forward to the new updates. I had an idea the other day that I wanted to share with you, a spin-off game/different game mode. While yes the road to Canada is hard, what about the people who never heard about Canada. My idea is that this new mode would have the player creating a community, scavenging, communicating with others, and trying to survive the zombie apocalypse. I feel this could be a very unique experience and that you and your team if you choose to create this would execute it amazingly. Finally if you do choose to use my idea and make me the luckiest fan ever, it would mean a lot to me if you could put my name in the credits, or something sort of reference (such as you have Kepa mode)
    Your biggest fan
    Adam

9. asuanda

asuanda Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Sequel???

Kepa, can you tease us just a little bit on the sequel?

10. Pwnomie

Pwnomie Member

Aug 13, 2017
    - The game crashes often when I'm doing an Apartment Rescue. After letting the person following me, it crashes when I open the door to the next room.

- I once was in a Fancy House where, although I found the combination pad, there was no safe to be found. I went through all rooms twice to make sure I didn't miss it.

11. jdjleo

jdjleo Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Kepa - is there no cloud save or game center utilization to back up our game data and play across multiple devices? Or am I missing something?

thank you

12. archinerate

Jan 23, 2014
    No there is no cloud save. I don’t know why but they are ignoring/delaying the function.

13. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    this is my most loved/hated game of 2017 until now.
    Because there is a ton of content, fun, randomness and whackiness.
    And just when i find this fun in each playthrough, be it from a crazy option or a random character, i lose it.
    Because right around the second mandatory siege, when the zombies are really frantic, my characters get stuck in narrow spaces, between furniture, aiming at the empty air next to them instead of swinging at the zombie about to eat their face.
    And there it is.
    I LOVE this game and supporting Rocketcat/Madgarden as they support their games superbly.
    But every playthrough ends around the second siege because of how the characters move and attack in this game.
    Is movement and aiming with a controller more accurate? if it is, i could buy one just to enjoy all that this game has to offer, and i can't experience it!

14. jdjleo

jdjleo Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Back when the game was in its original form that was somewhat acceptable.

Now that there is a lengthy RPG progression element to the game with unlocks and zombie points this is completely unacceptable.

Without the staple Game Center or cloud saving and syncing of modern games I definitely would not recommend this game to anyone let alone heap on the amount of praise it has received. Backing up progress is absolutely essential to any game that has any depth whatsoever.

15. archinerate

Jan 23, 2014
    #1075 archinerate, Apr 18, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    I definitely agree with this. I unlocked everything on my ipad, yet the game is in fresh state on my iphone, which is annoying. Maybe they can add some “cheat codes” to unlock everything just like how they did with Wayward Souls. Because right now i have 0 desire to play the game on my iphone. Also I am considering to upgrade to a new iPad soon,so I will probably stop playing the game for good.

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Anyone having crash issues for going through north doors in buildings?

iCloud sync stuff: We haven't done this yet for a few reasons. One's just time priority. Another is that we had pretty iffy experiences with it for Punch Quest. USUALLY it worked fine, but when it didn't work, it was a huge hassle. The third reason is waiting until it was out on all platforms it would be out on, so we could think more on multi-platform syncing.

We had an idea very similar to this already! It would probably be a spin-off game. This is actually really close to the original idea of the game, before it was a road trip. You were originally going to be clearing out one big city.

Eventually we'll do a straight sequel that's like the current game, but MORE STUFF and things we had to leave out. Before that, I'd like to do a follow-up that is inspired by Zelda and dungeon crawlers. Medieval theme, multiple classes, skeleton archers, stuff like that. More towards the action side, with less on the text events (but they'd still be there).

I've had this happen to me but never tracked it down. It's pretty rare for me.

Fancy House problem is a map generator quirk. At some point I wanted to do a map generator revamp, but never figured out a really good time to do it. The main thing would be that it would eat an entire update.

I think I'd have to see video of this to really understand what's going wrong. I don't have much problems with the mobile version on the second siege.

17. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Hi Kepa, Any chance to sync Nintendo Switch's save game with other platform ?

18. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    New update out on Thursday! This should solve the room crashing. Here's the What's New text:

"This is the new GIZZARD update for Death Road to Canada! It has some changes to the final level, a new character with a few all new weapons, a new special trading camp, a new song, and some requested tweaks and fixes.

Next update will be a big one! It will have multiplayer improvements, new locations, AI weapons management, and more!

Changes this Update:

- Added the Last Mall on Earth, a new special trading camp. Has gas trader, weapons buyer, recruit campfire, 6 random traders, and a guaranteed rare 7th trader!
    - Added the ability for trading camps to force a rare trader, currently used in the Mall.
    - Fixed a hospital generation bug
    - Fixed a room crash bug
    - Changed how the on-death attributes work. Now Phoenix, Shield of Hope, and the July 4th and Bort characters will not drop their weapons on resurrection.
    - Adjusted a bunch of city generation code for less getting stuck on trash.
    - Made that really narrow city no longer generate door-trash.
    - New rare character: Moody added
    - New weapon support added for Rocket Launchers and Electric Tools
    - New weapons for Moody: Off-Brand Plasms Rifle, Moody Launcher, Moody Chainsaw
    - You can no longer sell no-drop weapons to the Weapons Buyer, partially due to how exploitable this was on Moody
    - New Song Added: One More Road. Plays during credits and as a random road song.
    - Snubnose Pistol will now replace normal pistols 20% of the time
    - Double-barrel Shotgun will now replace normal shotguns 10% of the time
    - Ruined Trading Camp/Fire Sale: Removed the flaming car that was right next to you as you spawned.
    - Fix for a crash caused by completely empty rooms"

It's on the list, not sure if it will make it into the 2nd Anniversary update or not. One of the reasons why we didn't do iCloud save syncing is that we wanted to maybe do a multi-platform save sync, but we weren't sure the best way to.

sebgo likes this.
  19. BC1377

BC1377 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Hi Kepa,

Thanks for the reply. Another thing i want to ask you, will the price system on nintendo switch be the same as other platform ? increase in price with new updates

20. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I don't control the console prices/sales, or Android. I control the PC sales, and we started to do those due to Steam Sales being really good. So iOS is the only one that gets the increasing prices, like Wayward Souls did/will get with its final update.

For future games, I'll probably start doing iOS sales just because of Steam finally making me try it. I don't think I will do sales for older iOS games, because I said I wouldn't back when we made those games (including Death Road).