Universal Death Road to Canada (by Rocketcat LLC) [TouchArcade Game of the Year 2017]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I love wayward souls it's the game I've played most on iOS
    It's early but I would say better than wayward souls def has potential to be

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Man this feels like I am playing State of Decay! Serious vibes from that.

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    A simple game of golf in which Magnus has a bad attitude ends up decreasing the group morale. What a jerk!

Then my group got ambushed by fake traders bandits which demand 8 medical supplies for free passage. As I have 18 it is better to play it safe, so I comply.

Time to go into a police station and arm myself further. Damn, the place was crowded and I hardly found anything useful. No ammo or weapons, just some medicine and gas. At least I got out of it unharmed. Let’s check the other buildings. Ended up finding some food, weapons and ammo. People must have ransacked the PD and put the fun stuff in their homes, before getting zombified.

There’s smoke coming out of the car, not a good sign. Traffic Jam ahead. I won’t risk aggressive offroading, then I am goind to try and find a new route. Damn, that was garbage, the car got some damage anyway and morale decreased.

Now, let’s check a grocery store. Might be lucky and find some stuff. Nice, got plenty of food and found Fabinho, a friendly face, on the Road. He’s a bandit and martial artist, but he seems to deserve a second chance now that the world gonna crazy, so I recruit him, not without keeping an eye on him.

The car broke down. Let’s see if January can fix it, even if I don’t know her mechanic skill? Better yet, let’s Magnus punches it and release his fury, since he’s a pain. As expected, he destroys it.

January lack of attention cost food, medicine and some ammo. However, I got lucky later and found a cabin, which raised our morale.

Cowardly bandits demanding 15 food for safe pass? No way! I need every single one of them to keep on to Canada, so I fight back and take some damage.

Wow, now I found a place which has a car on the end, but the zombies are very irritated. Let’s try to grab it. Did and even found some gas and one food. Things are getting better again.

Damn, another bandit group demanding 10 food. I am not prepared to give in yet, so I am gonna try to call their bluff and see if they are really going to yell and call the zombie on us. What a relief. They were only talk and we got out unharmed.

Food never hurt, so it is better to pick up some berries, even if it means a sleepless night. 14 food is going to help.

Fabinho found a book on the library. It is better be related to mechanic, you never know when it is going to be handy. Well, time for another trader camp. There was a Witch there which could be recruited, but I went for the group strength train and spend 15 food (it’s not that bad, since I have found 5 on the camp).

On no, a Siege! I hope the training pays off. Wow, got out without a scratch, even if I got some tense moments in which I was almost cornered. Let’s raise our morale and go for skill random gain.

A discussion on the car started and some morale dropped. Time for the bandit watch. Who shoud I trust? Elsi, of course. Time to score a commercial district. Found some food, a sturdy machete and some ammo. Unfortunately I got hit by a zombie. You have always to stay alert or you could pay the price. Thank god I have medicine, so January helps with the cut.

Found some cars, but I am going to stick with mine. Only 8 days to Canada.

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This game is a gem. I'm getting destroyed but it's so much fun. Love the randomness to it that makes each run unique. My first run just had traitors everywhere and it was hilarious.

I'm also having a great time making my own custom characters. I've just made some from my favorite anime shows. Usually I'll start a run with my own made character and my own made buddy and just go from there. I don't usually last long at all... :p

5. Death Road to Canada (By Rocketcat LLC) - IOS/Android Gameplay

Hey guys, I know some of you would like to know the gameplay version of DRC on IOS devices. So, you can check the quick gameplay video below

6. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    What this game lacks is icloud support.

7. Wubba

Wubba Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2014
    Indiana
    Loving the positive feedback this game is getting. I'm a little jealous reading the reactions from you all, but I've got two days to payday. What a grueling wait.

8. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Sounds great! Nice report/story... let us know how further you got

9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    What constitutes a "perfect run?"

10. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    now this is what iOS gaming is all about! Great job Kepa and Madgarden! Hope everyone enjoys this amazing game as much as I have!

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #91 Ayjona, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Yeah, this really is all that.

Death Road versus Binding of Isaac for roguelike of 2017 (not to mention the GotY all-star brawl) will be a brutal spectacle. My money might even be on Death Road.

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Anyone seen the anime KonoSuba? I found a good set up for a custom character :p

[​IMG]

Can't wait to play more when I get off from work!

13. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    nice! love the customizing, stuck at work too cant wait to mess with it
    did get a little play time earlier and this game is the best
    this will be one to play for a long time to come and more content coming in a couple weeks!
    do you watch the anime show Devil Is A Part Timer I want to create those characters :)
    i havent seen the one you mentioned but will check it out also i may add some steins;gate corpse party characters :)

14. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #94 ramzarules, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Dark rulers of the endless abyss, i now beseech thee, grant me power to bathe this corrupt zombified world in fire and drag it down to eternal darkness. Exploooooo...

EDIT: after fiddling around, i find Deadzone to 0 and Dragzone to 99 works best for movement for me. Pretty much it should be GOTY and the updates arent even out yet

15. Madgarden

Madgarden Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Galactic Game Creation Overlord
    Kitchener, ON
    It's not made in Unity. And most of the app size is music, heh.

16. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Do the places change each time ie the city layouts and the interior layouts?

17. yankeeblue000

yankeeblue000 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Man, the price seems a little steep for this and it's going up in price. So no sale anytime soon. I was hoping for a proper review before I decided but, it might be too expensive by then. Let's see if we can get an objective review sooner than later from one of the members here

18. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Here's your objective review: Right now unless something beats it it's my Game of the Year.

19. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Oh, I have found Michael on the Road, another familiar face, which is a Megabuff Calm Under Fire. I don’t have a spot for him, so I left him.
    Got blocked by another survivor group which sent me an extremely annoying person to talk to. Better take a detour. It has cost 15 gas, but I still have 120. A moose? January wants to treat it, but Magnus wants to wrestle or shoot it. I go for the shooting, because… Zombie training. Got 12 food, not bad. Let’s share a candy. Wow, only Elsi’s morale increased, while the others have decreased. Man, I am between a nasty bunch.
    The car broke. Let’s see if Fabinho’s increased mechanic is going to be enough. Not quite, so I am on foot again and already get into an accident with hurts almost everyone. January helped, but I ran out of medicine. Morale is abysmal when I found another car.
    I found some magazines. It better be on the optimistic side, which increased January’s morale and attitude. Also got some food and medical.
    Gas Station Rescue or Danger Rangers ? Let’s go for the latter one, which has the text blinking. It must be a good thing, right? Wow, that was fun! Great zombie smashing with help of the Rangers and then I even got some great boost on my team. Food is low, though. Only 4 left and we even have to endure a smelly camp.
    Now bandits demand all food (don’t have any left) and half of the supplies. I decided to comply. Morale is abysmal again. And it all happened on seconds. Lol
    Elsi has lost some states due to stress. Arcade or factory rescue? Let’s go for the harder (and usually more rewarding) one, the rescue. Wow, Magnus dies and I didn’t even see how. Manage to rescue Doyle and find 8 food, but took much risk and hurt Elis twice. I think the ammo is more important than recruiting him. Elsi and Fabinho start arguing and it has cost me a day.
    Found a strange pinkish-purple man, which says nothing and is expressionless, in a bathroom. It got me intrigued and I decided to recruit him. He seems to accept my offer, but didn’t say anything or reacted at all. Strange.
    Grocery trust exercise. I send my trustworthy Elsi, which brings back 9 food. The group is going to be feed for today, thanks to her. A giant fissure on the road and almost everyone is hurt. Time to try some trading with 3 food left. I have contemplated about trying to rob the medical salesman, but decided it is not worth the risk. The good karma pays off and another salesman give me 5 shotgun ammo. Might be the difference between life and death.
    Damn, a mall siege! Let’s see if this purple man is of any help. Oh no! I was sloppy, got cornered and Else was killed. Let’s let the purple man take the lead. Only January left. I almost escaped with her, but on the last second I got killed.
    The journey has ended 4 days from Canada.
    It was fun while lasted.
    R.I.P.

20. Dankrio

Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Yes. Always!