Death Rally [Releasing on March 31st]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by runformoney1110, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    #181 TimoVihola, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
    The secret achievement winner has the letter r in his name :p

We ended up putting 58 achievements into the game, most of the 8 extra achievements were heavily inspired by the suggestions in this thread :)

About the twitter tagline contest:
    You have a chance to win the free copy on twitter until the game is out.

gwet17: The release date is in March, so it should be available within a week.

Here's two blog entries showing the creation of the game in a bit more detail than the pics I posted earlier:

Part 1: http://death-rally.blogspot.com/2011/03/making-of-death-rally-part-1.html
    Part 2: http://death-rally.blogspot.com/2011/03/making-of-death-rally-part-2.html

2. Cool picture, and thanks for the links. It's always fun to see how much games in development really evolve over time.

3. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    What's the twitter tagline contest? I looked on twitter, facebook, and your site, but couldn't find anything about it.

4. TimoVihola

Mar 26, 2009
    We've started working on the content for the first update. It's gonna be a tight schedule so we have to be picky about what to include in it. There's these two weapon concepts we're considering. With some luck we might be able to include both. If it turns out that we only have time to include one which item would you choose?

[​IMG]

Haruhi: Imagine if we had released that physics prototype :D

Artfoundy, I mentioned the contest few pages ago:

5. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    I say laser sight, it would be more useful imo.

6. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Great, thanks - posted my tagline.

And both of those concepts are awesome. The missile launcher would be a hell of a lot of fun to use, but as jxw245 posted, the laser sight would probably be more useful overall. But hey, if you can only do 1 at first, you could put the other in a 2nd update, right?

Another few ideas for weapons (you've probably already thought of or seen suggestions for these, but figured I'd offer them anyway):
    - EMP - an AOE effect around your car that doesn't do damage, but instead temporarily disables the cars around you, stopping them for a few seconds
    - Lightning gun - shoots a bolt of lightning that will target the closest car to its line of projection and do moderate damage the longer it stays on that car (but if there are multiple cars nearby, it may jump from one to the other)
    - Nuke - shoots a highly destructive missile with a small radius of effect that can also destroy your car if not used properly. Can only be used one time
    - The Joker Fist - a huge spring-loaded fist that, upon hitting its target, sends the car flying. Can only be used once but leaves the fist on the road to allow driver to pick it up and reload it. Might have to call it the Clown Fist or something to avoid possible copyright issues...
    - Oil slick - self explanatory
    - Caltrops - big spikey balls dropped out the rear that can blow the tires off cars, making them very difficult to handle
    - Tank Shell (or maybe Force Field or something like that) - a defensive item that temporarily renders your car invincible to munitions based weapons - armor absorbs set amount of damage before being destroyed. Drawback though is you can't use any shooting based weapons (only dropping types of weapons like mines).

7. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    Did me and crex win?

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Shut up! Don't jinx it. :mad::D

9. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    That is what she said? IDK. LOL
    That rules me out though.

10. Buuks

Buuks Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Lasersight is for wuuzies, go for the big stuff. It is rockets we need. :p

11. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    This is a tough decision, but I am going with multiple rocket launcher! It would be good for taking out groups quickly!

12. I would go with the Rocket Launcher like everyone else has so far. The laser sight is not exactly a weapon though, right? And is there a chance that the other weapon concept would come in a future update?

13. rooteboy

rooteboy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Student/Beta Tester
    Earth......for now
    Rooteboy? :)

14. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

The laser seems like a nifty feature to have, but I think the rockets would probably be more useful. XD

15. Atischery

Atischery Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    The rocket launcher should be more powerful and useful than the laser sight. First choose rocket launcher, you can add the laser sight in the next update.

16. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    *whispers* don't worry everyone else SUCKED *whispers* ehh good job on all the entries you tried your hardest...? lol jk let the best MEN win (me and crexy boy) haha

17. TimoVihola

Mar 26, 2009
    Surprisingly almost everyone chose the highly destructive weapon :) The first version of the multi-rocket launcher is now implemented, next we'll tweak the rocket flight paths and the explosion effect to perfection. I really like how Mechwarrior games did it, if we can get similar feel that would be great!

One fun challenge we added on friday was "Nitro Challenge". The nitro is applied for the whole duration of the race and it's faaast :)

Haruhi: It's not impossible to have both items in the first update, everything just has to go really smoothly next week.

Artfoundry: Cool weapon suggestions! We had an idea similar to The Joker Fist, it was a magnetic projectile that would throw cars out of the way and bounce around from the track borders.

rooteboy: Maybe ;)

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Love that idea! There are a lot of fun weapons you can do with just magnets. A projectile that sticks into the enemy and pulls in nearby shots for more damage, A mine that pulls into an enemy vehicle (could explode or push with force), or maybe a projectile you fire to clear the road of hazards or use as a decoy for homing missiles. It's all good :)

19. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    Those are all great ideas! the magnet 'mine' could also attract instead of pull putting enemies into the path of explosive mines or just slowing them down.

20. Atischery

Atischery Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2011
    That's why it has a "Death" in the name. ;)