Death of a Samurai - First Person Samurai Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by PocketFame, Mar 3, 2015.

1. PocketFame

PocketFame Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Owner PocketFame.com & IT Project Manager
    Wollongong/Sydney, Australia
    Update on the map / battle select scene. The region has been updated with weather effects that match that particular battle environment. As you navigate around the landscape the weather will change depending on where you are from sunny, to snowing to dark and rainy.

Check out the below screenshots and let me know what you think:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Another progress update, this time we have been working on the difficulty curve in the game and ensuring that the game is both fun, challenging and rewarding all in a relatively short game session.

Here is a overview of how the difficulty curve will work during a battle broken down into stages that will be based on distance which = time survived in battle:

1) Two lowest ranked samurai will spawn. 33% and 50% chance of landing a hit on the player respectively.

2) Armoured samurai will begin entering the battle increasing the total enemies

3) Less low ranked samurai with an increase in the armoured samurai and a 75% chance of hitting the player if not avoided/blocked. Total number of enemies increased.

4) Two bigger samurai types will enter the battle. These samurai will have a 90% chance of hitting the player when they strike if not blocked or dodged. Total number of enemies increased.

5) Stage 5 will see the introduction of boss battles, this will be the enemy shogun entering battle. Only the best players will reach the shogun

3. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Quick update on the development of Death of a Samurai.

Perks have been added into the game that will allow players to select perks before each battle.

[​IMG]

I should have a new video up demonstrating the Ronin perk that adds a Ronin to the battle fighting with you.

4. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    #24 PocketFame, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Naming a samurai game

Hey guys,

I've been working on my samurai game since late 2014 and have recently been throwing around the idea of changing the name as it gets closer to completion and I'm pushing the marketing side a little harder.

Current title is 'Death of a Samurai'.

This focuses heavily on the fact that you will die, continually and over and over again in the game. It is actually all about survival, and how long you can survive if you were running head first into battle.

Other ideas I've had include:

• The Samurai
      Ronins Way
      Samurai Honour
      The Last Ronin

Would love some help, input and ideas here on the best possible name for this game :)

5. Red_saaryn

Red_saaryn Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    You could post a video of the controls too, maybe you can improve them ^^

6. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    I'm not sure just how grim you want to get, but I know of at least three words for Japanese ritual suicide: Hagakure, Seppuku and Tsuifuku. :D

I recommend browsing through some quotes from The Hagakure and The Book of Five Rings for inspiration.

7. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    I'm targeting mid 2015 for a ios/android release of this game that will be available via the Apple App Store and Google Play store.

8. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Sure thing, I'll work on getting a video that shows off the defence controls as well, the mobile version is tilt and swipe based.

Example, tilt the device to move left and right. Swipe up, down, left, right or circular as well as combinations of those for different attacks.

9. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Hey guys,
    Quick screenshot showing off the new Ronin perk, calling a friendly warrior in to protect you during battle.

[​IMG]

10. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Update: We loved the Ronin perk so much that we have decided to start off each battle with a full charge with your samurai army. Check out the screenshots below of what it looks like to run into battle with your own army.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Wanted to let you know we are working on the boss battles with the enemy Shogun right now. Stay tuned!

12. Red_saaryn

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    Can i suggest a button to jump or move backward and forward? Also how about this, on the actual controls you just wipe to attack right?, but if you boop at the screen why dont make a tsuki attack ( stab with the sword forward )

Also you can see this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpjb5wG5l_U as a reference if you want ^u^

13. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    #33 PocketFame, Mar 19, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Very cool clip - thanks for sending that over!

You can jump back in the game now, we have added a defensive system so by holding the defence button and swiping down you can quickly jump back, making your enemy miss their attack, then swipe up as normal to lunge in and stab forward.

I've attached a video below that shows off blocking and towards the end it shows the quick backwards jump :)

https://youtu.be/Zu3_qXWMpDg?list=PLql-CtfNbwk-XONdNDyVAp-2RHio2lEYs

14. Red_saaryn

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    That is good to heard, i was thinking about a blurry vision when the character is critically damaged, because when someone lost too many blood does the same, im really hoping this game gets the first place of samurai non japanese game of the appstore

15. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Got that one covered as well! You can take more hits if you are wearing armour but as a general rule each hit will make you limp / struggle to walk and also increase the vignetting around the screen with black / dark red blood. It makes it pretty hard once you have taken a few hits and are moving slow, wobbling around and can't see properly!

Thanks for the app store best wishes :D

This gameplay screenshot shows you what I mean:
    [​IMG]

16. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Update on the weapon customisation:

Players will be able to customise their katana with 3 blade types and 4 hilts.

17. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Screenshot update demonstrating the interface for changing the hilt on your katana. This will increase the damage that your katana can inflict on enemy samurai.

[​IMG]

18. Red_saaryn

Feb 2, 2015
    Writer
    How about an 1 vs 1 duel mode on it?, you could make a button to give a step forward and other for a backward, you could use a limited area of a circle with a normal background, for example, in the story mode you are under ciegue in a castle, then you reach the shogun chamber, and it happens, you vs the shogun one on one duel, you can press between 4 buttons that make give you a single step to left, right, forwards and backward, in the feudal era of japan that is how official battles between noble samurais happened, also you could try to put bokutos and maybe a prisioner system?, of course, the bokuto wouldnt kill just hurt and also it would take more hits to take down a samurai soldier, but when you have enough prisoners you can sell them or ask for a ransom

19. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    Happy to say 1v1 mode is already on the way, it will be available first as a single player mode then it is intended to form a multiplayer mode with both single duel and death match modes underway.

I like the idea of taking prisoners... I'll think on this more! Great feedback as always!

20. PocketFame

Oct 6, 2014
    The Shogun model has been completed and added into the game. Players will need to fight through multiple enemy waves before facing the shogun in battle

[​IMG]