Universal Death Hall (by Thomas Janson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 28, 2019.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    @Masstertron can you explain a bit the scoring system? I don’t really get it, sometimes I score lots of points, other times not so much, and I don’t really understand why. What is Haste for example? What’s the point of collecting Souls? Etc

2. Masstertron

Masstertron Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Sure,

Most of your score is based on Stage - Section (eg 3 - 2), but killing enemies and collecting souls adds to your score handsomely. So if you start at stage 3, you will have a good score by default, but you'll miss out on killing enemies and collecting souls in Stage 1 and 2.

Haste multiplies your score, up to 4 times if you have 100% (pretty much impossible though. 95% is amazing).
    When you run / jump for a few seconds without stopping, you enter "flow", when the trail appears behind you.
    Staying at maximum "flow" all the time is good for haste. Stopping frequently or taking damage is bad for haste.

You know the haste increase item? That is to achieve the last elusive 5%.
    I still don't even know if it's even possible to achieve 100% haste.

Also, you want to know why the last 5% is elusive? Because when you start a new run, your "flow" is zero. Those first few seconds where you run and build up to full "flow" put a dint in your final haste percentage.

Confusing? :D:D

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m not a high score chaser but following this thread since the game launched has made me want to give the game a try anyway. Have a flight tonight and hopefully this will help keep me entertained as I did a lot of Magnibox and The Gardens Between on the way here.

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I beat The Bone Yard!!! New high score too. Just have to fast travel to The Altar and finish off the boss, then try to beat it all in one go :D
    64F02366-298F-4D68-907E-0E9423641937.png
    911F0BBE-11EF-4340-9433-81679589EB97.png
    [​IMG]

5. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Woooo so close! Legend :D

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  6. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    The accessibility update is live now.

There's an option to flip the controls, and also to change input to gestures (so left/right are controlled by swiping).

I hope this improves the game for left handed players, and people wanting more screen space :)

7. Anotherkellydown

I went straight to the final boss to practice for a complete play through and just when I thought I had him beat he
    took on a second form! :eek:
    Have you no mercy, @Masstertron??! Have you not punished me enough already??!! Lol - what a way to cap off this masterpiece.

Masstertron likes this.
  8. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Hehehehe, wait... are you talking about the second phase, or the "third" phase? :D

Nice little surprise!

9. soniclife

soniclife Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Hamburg
    Thank you! I really appreciate these fast updates!

10. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    I wish the upgrades you buy for health, bites, etc were permanent and then have a hardcore mode that only has you playing with the 4 hearts - it would make the game less punishing and more accessible for us who just can’t get past 3-2

11. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Yeah, for sure. I'd like to keep the current shop system, but I have been testing Stage 3 recently and there's some aspects that could be better. Will refine.

12. Anotherkellydown

You know exactly what phase I’m talking about :p

I knew that second phase was just a tease once I saw how easy it was. Easy as in
    impossible to die! That shopkeeper twist was entirely unexpected and such a cool idea.
    The whole boss fight stage is so well done. Gareth Wiecko’s soundtrack really set the mood for the whole game, and this stage in particular.

Like others have said, you’ve really impressed me with these quick and substantial updates. I’m still waiting for Apple to give you a feature on the front page here in the US.

I may take breaks but I definitely haven’t given up on beating that boss. :)

13. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    @Masstertron - It’s a shame in my opinion you won’t consider adding permanent upgrades, progression is what draws a lot of people into these type of games, as it gives them a way to beat a level they wouldn’t otherwise. And for those wanting a greater challenge, you can always include a “pure” or “hardcore” mode. Just my view of course!

14. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I don’t feel that it needs those. It’s not that kind of game!

@Masstertron, I am so in love with this game. I haven’t had something grip me this hard in a really long time! I’m stunned at the frequency and quality of updates, and hope the game is as successful as you’d hoped. Thank you! :)

I do have some small niggles though, because I’ve been playing laser focused on a higher score which changes how I’d play normally:
    Could you extend the active left/right button fields to be larger than the visible buttons? On my iPhone, especially in landscape mode, I often find myself pressing just below the visible buttons and when that happens at a critical moment... CHOMP.

In level 3, the purple fog obstructing the bottom of the stage sometimes doesn’t move down far enough or quickly enough. A significant number of times I will be taking the high path, do a high jump off a floating creep, the fog moves higher than any visible platforms and I end up dying after hitting the fog a few times with nowhere to land.

Relatively minor things, but if there’s a chance they’ll get improved... :D

15. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    @Echoseven - myself and a few friends stopped playing because we couldn’t progress past stage 3 - and there was nothing we felt we could do, it was just beyond our abilities, and since there was no progress to be made, we got tired from repeating over and over until maybe we hit a random layout which is easier. So yeah, it is that kind of game

16. Anotherkellydown

Totally agree on this. Please don’t make the upgrades permanent. Also agree about the fog in level 3.

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I don’t disagree that it’s difficult, but the changes you’re asking for would make it an entirely different genre.

There are things you can do to make it easier using the current shop. If you’re finding level 3 hard, start at level 2 and put all your souls into extra hearts. I realise that’s not the greatest option, given that you still need to finish level 2, but it is an option.

18. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Heyoo, the next update will have difficulty tweaks to Stage 3. It is still a worthy challenge, but I think you will see an noticeable improvement :)

I will tweak the troublesome clouds for the following update.

Re: touch input at the bottom of screen. I had a good look at this and it's icky because unfortunately iOS is stealing the touch due to control center, and the home indicator on iPhone X. Best thing might be for me to raise the buttons a bit to encourage you to tap at a higher position. Not too much though, just a tiny bit. The bottom half of the screen already accepts left/right/jump touches so that won't change.

Echoseven likes this.
  19. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Re: touch input: nevermind, I figured it out. lol

20. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Update is out! And I was finally able to beat stage 3, much easier as it’s less randomly unfair now it seems.

Got to stage 4 - my main gripe now is that every time you die and retry the level, you have to go through the lengthy cut scene - @Masstertron can the platform just be down with the main baddie already eyeballing you once you jump on it? Only if you restart the level from the Monster’s Chamber would I display it again.

Masstertron and Anotherkellydown like this.