Universal Death Hall (by Thomas Janson)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, May 28, 2019.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Update sounds very cool! although I have to admit I have mixed feelings about landscape mode - one of the differentiators of Death Hall from other platformers was the portrait gameplay which for me is part of the fun. Now I know giving options to players shouldn’t be a bad thing, but it does feel like it loses some of its uniqueness... in any case, looking forward to maybe being able to best stage 2!

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I'm kind of in disbelief at not only how fast you're pushing these updates out, but also how fast Apple is approving them. :eek: Update's out!

Personally, after trying out landscape mode, I don't think it takes away from the uniqueness of the entire game. Plus, it's not like portrait was taken out in favour of landscape. I think the fact that the game now offers BOTH orientations makes it even more unique. ;)

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  3. Masstertron

Masstertron Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I know what you mean, although for me it feels like a natural addition to the game. Stage 2 involves jumping upward (think doodle jump), so having the option to play it in portrait and the other stages in landscape, or whatever suits your fancy, should be good.

Another thing I suppose is that since the game was finished and shipped, it was easier to add landscape, rather than try to support it constantly during active development. So that influenced my decision early on when I chose portrait-only.

Anyway, I hope it improves the game!

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  4. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Have to say I’m loving having landscape now. I do like having a portrait option but for this game and platformers in general I think buttons feel cramped in portrait. Just feels more comfortable playing in landscape IMO.

Great job and amazing support with all the updates the game has already gotten!

5. al4red_uk

al4red_uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
    The update is great :).. weirdly finding the game a lot more easier to play now because of it?!

I found a small bug... basically when you die in landscape mode, the control UI overlays on top of the restart menu ( not a big deal or doesn’t distract from gameplay but just more or less the alignment)

6. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    That's great to hear. My pleasure :)

7. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Oh snap. Which device?

8. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Yeah, great update. Stage 2 is now much more fun for me. Before I felt too frustrated to start over. Now let’s see how state 3 is! (Although I didn’t have much time to play and didn’t pass stage 2 yet but definitely doable now - I got to 2-3 on my first attempt) Landscape is probably a better biz decision too, I hope!

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks so much for landscape mode ! Feels like a proper platformer on iOS now (I've got so many and 99% are landscape) so i'll be playing this much more

But thanks !!!

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Man, that final boss fight was interesting.

I have to say, landscape mode makes the game significantly easier in parts. Not that that’s a bad thing.

Now to do the whole game in one sitting...

11. DeathProofNinjaX

DeathProofNinjaX Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2018
    Male
    just bought it and man, its tough as nails. also 1-1 is hard to pass but hey, its just me..getting used to it.. but i gotta admit, this has to be one of best platformers out there and this is how it should be. landscape mode makes it even better. Thanks devs. this has to be one of the best purchase i made in 2019

12. DeathProofNinjaX

Aug 1, 2018
    Male
    how long is it,bruv?

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I DID IT!! Second person (on the leaderboards at least) to complete the game in one go. Top of the charts at 26k, baby! :D

Wrath mode can suck it. It’s 2 am and I’ll try it another day.

Well if you’re good enough to beat it in one sitting, about 12-15 minutes? Except if you beat it in one go on your first try, I would like to shake your hand and an autograph.

It took me days to even reach the end with checkpoints, and about... 4 hours straight of trying to get it done in one go. And I’ll do it again, too! Plenty of fun here. :D

Lull4by likes this.
  14. DeathProofNinjaX

Aug 1, 2018
    Male
    #94 DeathProofNinjaX, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    im even struggling to get past 1-1. HA!! :p:D:(

15. Skall

Skall Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Struggling at 3-1 :(

16. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Yea, I beat stage 2 at last and now I’m also struggling at 3-1 but feeling I’m at blame as didn’t have enough time for a proper attempt. (I blame my boys for my lack of free time, and Trover Saves the Universe VR - what a ridiculously funny game!)

I can’t believe @Echoseven you beat it all in one go, that’s just epic!

17. al4red_uk

al4red_uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2011
    iPhone 7 :)

18. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Daaaaaym that's awesome!

Yes, Wrath Mode is "dev difficulty ++". Enjoy. Or not, lol. It's just for kicks really, but it is possible...

19. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Sweet, thank ya.

20. Masstertron

Patreon Bronze

Dec 18, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Sorry, I just want to be sure, is this the overlap you were talking about?

IMG_0005.PNG