Dead Space by EA Mobile - Releasing 25th January

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tgmatt

tgmatt Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Haha thanks for the kind words. I cleared things up with EA. I've been sitting on the video for 3 weeks now to honor the embargo date I was given, but despite what I was told at the event, that date was only for text write-ups.

Considering how much good buzz the video has generated, I wish EA would just let us officially post it. :S

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Me: "Hey can I take video of Dead Space?"

EA: "Sorry we're not allowing any video of Dead Space at this time"

Seemed pretty clear to me at the event :rolleyes:

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Nevermind, Matt's post above has cleared things up.

"I've been sitting on the video for 3 weeks now to honor the embargo date I was given, but despite what I was told at the event, that date was only for text write-ups."

So it looks like it was EA's fault, just not in the way I had guessed.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Eh it's no big deal in the long run. I uploaded an early preview of NOVA from a Gameloft event and for whatever reason the privacy settings didn't stick when it was finished uploading. Some people saw it early, but all was quickly forgotten after the game was released.

As far as people worried about this damaging TouchGen's reputation, eh, not likely. Something to consider is that at the end of the day, publishers like EA need sites like ours to promote their games and it's not really in their best interest to ever blackball anyone especially for a silly misunderstanding. The best thing about the App Store is that rarely is there ever a shortage of things to write about, so even the big guys need to be kind of insistent for attention because we (the royal we) can just as easily spend our time writing about any awesome indie game as we could previewing their stuff.

5. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I think it generated all this buzz only coz EA got it pulled. Had every blog who previewed the game posted a video too, no one would have talked about one specific video this much :p

6. tgmatt

tgmatt Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Well said. :)

and @SuperMan... that's a very good point haha

7. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    I just saw the video on youtube and it looks great... :D

8. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

Ah, cool. So you guys all met up? Would you happen to know how many sites got hands-on with the game? I only know TouchArcade, TouchGen, STP and Joystiq.

9. tgmatt

tgmatt Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I actually didn't see the usual TA guys at the event I went to, but I chatted with Levi from IGN and Andrew from STP. There were a bunch of peeps there though, and we were a bit late, so I could have missed folks. Usually pretty much everyone from one gaming site or another are at major press events, especially if it's EA. ;)

10. Ajg3

Ajg3 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2009
    Lala Land
    Does this have multiplayer

11. ilovemyipod

ilovemyipod Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2009
    This will be the best app game next year you can bank on that.

12. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    I wouldn't bank on that. It's foolish to make assumptions about a game before you've played it, much less compare it to thousands of quality apps that are currently in development and are releasing next year.

13. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    @Kunning: true but I bet it will be one of the best, at least in my top 20(1,000's of apps are released a day so).

Anyway, Im pumped for this game. It looks stunning in every way. I'm a little concerned about the shooting but I guess well see how it works win it's released. I for one am buying it instantly. I hope EA makes more titles of this quality(as of what we've seen so far) later.

14. WunDaii

Aha OK, thanks. I've searched around for more hands-on articles and I've only found a few. :)

15. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    Lol, you cant possibly knmow that

16. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    I would put the average quality of an EA iOS game below that of an average Gameloft game. EA would have to step up their game here and produce the highest quality iDevice that they have made. Which is possible. EA's track record is a bit spotty though, in terms of quality.

17. WunDaii

Lately, EA's games have been superb. They've really stepped up. Battlefield is great as well as FIFA 11, and I'm not sure about Madden or whatever, but that's recieved excellent reviews too.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I would agree with dumaz, but like WunDai says, they've set some bars, too. With the recent update to NFS: HP, they now have the best arcade racer on the platform (and the perfect companion to RR2).

After watching the video, what has me excited about this is not the graphics (they look really good, but so did Rage's) but the reaction of the guy playing -- didn't notice him struggling with the controls or pausing to get his bearings. He was simply playing, all the while muttering "this is just like the real game." That's what sells it for me.

19. vbxz47

vbxz47 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2009
    Ohio
    Exactly, when someone does that, you know it has to be a good game. I can't wait to try it myself though. It looks outstanding(not just the graphics).

20. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Price?!

Price is not an issue, I just want to know what to expect the price to be on this amazing game, so I can plan how many apps to buy with my giftcard. Anyone know for sure or a good estimate?