Universal Dead In Bermuda (By Plug In Digital)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    Same here

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Fantastic, thanks. That's what the video looked like, but nice to know for sure.

3. Mince0

Mince0 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Just bought it, always like it when good pc games get ported.

4. swai

swai Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Color blind

Bought it yesterday, but unfortunately the color scheme on the skills page is extremely hard to see for me woth green-red color blindness. I only knew to look for it since I saw a video talking about how important it is to make characters do what they "like". Is this tied to the value of the number also, or am I going to be unable to play this?

5. oskieTA

oskieTA Member

Jun 24, 2015
    This looks really good how does it play actually? On the fence if I should buy it or not #

6. StratAll

StratAll Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Little review

Totally liking this one.

First, it's part 'worker placement'.
    Each day consists of 2 day phases and one night phase.
    In day phases you allocate your survivors to different jobs, each job costs some fatigue or depression and gives you resources like food, wood, rope,...
    In the night phase you get a little story advancement and you give out food (different levels) to your survivors.

On top of the worker placement is some rather deep RPG. All your survivors have stats in all 'jobs' which increase as they perform them. They also have relationship meters with each other that change as they perform jobs together. The goal is to level up your survivors and their relations so you are better prepared for the hardships of survival while keeping all hunger, fatigue, depression and injury bars in check.

Third aspect of the game is the story and the island map.
    Your survivors are stranded and are looking to survive and maybe get rescued or rescue themselves. One of the jobs is to explore a grid (the island). Each location on the grid has 'an item' or 'an encounter'. You get some RPG like choices, e.g. do I open the mysterious box or not, do I destroy it for wood or keep it...

Game saves on exit and has 3 save slots if I'm not mistaken.
    This is a very intriguing title which, even if the gameplay is quite different, gave me a Darkest Dungeon vibe when it comes to town development and atmosphere.

So no more fence sitting for worker placement, RPG or gamebook fans.

7. knokking

knokking Member

Mar 1, 2015
    #27 knokking, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    The Story elements and dialogue also seem to be randomized every time you start a new game so quite some replayability here :)

@ Red/Green colorblind:
    Numbers are the same than color for skills (roughly 0-29 is bad/red 30-59 is average/yellow 60+ is good/green)

I'm not to far in but I really like this game so far.
    It's reminding me of this war of mine like someone mentioned before but the "story" part of the characters is much more vivid since they have "real" dialogue while the exploration part is shortened compared to twom (since the looting part is not like twom in real time but more like "choose which character shall loot, the char then has a test of his sneak skill, if he wins you get free loot, if not there's an automatic fight against a monster then you get loot)

All in all fans of cyoa, survival management and/or dialogue focussed RPGs should give this one a try.

/After playing some more (iPhone 6):
    I feel like some of the buttons are too tiny and even had to load an old save after leveling up the wrong skill because I missed the right button repeatedly. Those "+" buttons and the ones that appear when you open the character menus (move character, send to fire etc) could be a bit bigger.. Also the speed of the screen scrolling if you reallocate a character by drag and drop could be a bit faster to make up for the smaller screen. It might be a better experience on an iPad but these two things are stocking the game flow for me a bit (not enough to stop playing tho, love the art style the story and characters)

8. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015
    I really, really like this game. It's very fun and yet very tense. Trying to manage everyone to keep them moderately ok in all the different problem areas is really tricky. The story is pretty interesting, too.

I don't think everyone is going to live through my first play-through. I already feel that depression setting in myself.

The game is really, really deep. It has so many variables at one time. I really hope a community develops so we can help each other out.

9. OrangeKnickers

OrangeKnickers Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Agreed, I really hope so, too. Especially regarding how to develop skills, which traits are particularly good or bad, discoveries and food management.

I hav restarted now for the approx. 20th time and for the first time feel I have a comparatively good thing going (after five nights, that is). Not sure what to think of the characters yet.

Love the game!!!

10. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Oh wow, I completely missed this coming to iOS. On Steam it's a damn good game and I remember my time with it very fondly.

#teamnotJacob

11. skoptic

skoptic Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2015
    I've spent he last few days playing amongst other new games, and this one is very enjoyable - I keep dipping back in. I've managed to kill everyone once ;)

It has a great feel, like mentioned above, placement and RPG levelling. It's not easy keeping everyone fed, watered, developing all the resources and searching the island. I can recommend this - I'll be playing for quite a while I reckon!

12. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    Just started a game. Day 10 now. So far, great game.
    Way better than I expected.

13. Armadi

Armadi Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2016
    I'm really enjoying this game.

I think this is a bug: when my characters level up it shows "strength" under both physical and mental and I can't level up intelligence (strength is in the spot where intelligence should be).

14. geniusx

geniusx Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2016
    looks like good game,need to try this one!

15. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Can anyone compare this one to island castaway? Is it better? Looks like there is more of an RPG element here. I just didn't totally love the island castaway and not sure if I want to get this if it's very similar

16. Bootsy

Bootsy Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2015

You can't level up intelligence. You just have to get lucky with it.

17. UnhappyUnlucky

UnhappyUnlucky Well-Known Member

Hi read the reviews about the game crashing on the App Store. The last update was a year ago. I plan on buying this. Could anyone confirm if this would work on an iPad Air? Thanks in advance