Universal Dead Effect (by Dualcarbon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 11, 2013.

1. ooooh

ooooh Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    #61 ooooh, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Downloads are very slow tonight :(

Just loaded this up and controls are customisable which is a bonus

12 missions plus survival

Great character models, great maps and great content, the only thing I loathe is the ridiculous blood that comes out when you shoot anything. The floors and walls are stained in a perfect blood colour but when you take a shot a bright red cloud erupts! Completely ruins the whole experience! Screenshot below is from a headshot!

Dis regarding the OTT blood effect, this game is looking good so far. The character models are great, and the environments look amazing. This beats 2013 IW hands down from a looks and gameplay perspective. The game is similar to dead space, with an alien like story where you awake from hibernation to find zombies have eaten you're crew. It's dark in places and has a fluid feel to gameplay. I've only played a few levels so I can't say anymore than this.

Also no IAPs!

Attached Files:

2. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    It support ICLOUD savegame data? Tnx

3. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    #63 tso5818, Sep 11, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Lmao. Last part me me smile.
    Sounds interesting.
    Do you know if it is out in the AUS store right now? I have no money on my US account. So i need to use AUS account.

Edit: Nevermind it was, bought :)

4. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I'm all for it, but I don't think this game runs on the ancient iPod 4G. I'll probably have to wait until Christmas for the new device, if I decide to get this.

5. ooooh

ooooh Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2013
    UK
    No iCloud mate

6. ImJPaul

ImJPaul Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Male
    MGMT!
    Baltimore
    This looks totally gnar gnar and will tie me over until gta5 and IB3 next week. AHHHH!!!!

7. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Looks intresting:)

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Great game. Controls are good, visuals are nice (although the blood splatter on your face doesnt look like blood), sounds are unique and work well expecially the weapon sounds, as of now killing zombies is too easy but somehow highlights the exploration instead. I played the first and second stages twice and couldnt find every acquirable item yet. Difficulty ramps up from stage 1 to stage 2, and i hope it gets a lot more difficult as we move forward. Liking the polish in the gameplay, like when the ship shakes you do too, you bob upand down when walking on stairs, etc. The voice acting of the guy you speak with sounds like a weird Ahnold accent in a teeny voice, but at least he's understandable. :D

Overall, i love the exploration part, which i think is the game's main strength. Huge levels that are NOT arena-like at all, with its nooks and crannies that you need to check for pickups essential for a 100% completion in every stage.

I think the upgrade menus can be improved. Here are my suggestions.

"Equipped" in the upgrade menu is spelt wrong. Also, the APPLY button should be moved under the Upgrade Info popup to avoid a bit of confusion, and the existing OK button underneath it should be change to BACK instead. As it is right now, the upgrading doesnt feel like they were placed naturally and needs a bit of figuring out before you can actually use it.

In-game currency is a good balance, and we have the NO-IAP pricing model to thank for that. It doesnt get you too OP early, and doesnt leave you defenseless either.

And i am enjoying the different actions the zombies take to try and eat your brain.

Some of the zombies start sitting down eating other dead people, then they stand, turn and walk towards you, suddenly pausing a little when they get close and they pounce at you. Sometimes, they'd decide, instead of walking, they'd run instead. Some zombies start out crawling on the floor towards you, then they decide to stand up and either walk or run, and even could decide to pounce as well. And of course, there's the upper-body-only zombies that crawl on the floor. Some zombies are fast, some a re real slow, but they can change they speed when trying to make you their next meal. When you open doors, i like how they "react" to an opening door and turn to see if it's food.

So far so good. The upgrades menu may need some improvement, but the core gameplay is pretty solid, most especially on the exploration part of the game. This is how Dead Space did it, and this game follows that formula well. There are times it feels like it's trying to be a first person take on Dead Space, and it may possibly well be inspired by it (well, it does), but hey, we lack more of that gameplay experience on iOS and this is a solid addition to the genre.

9. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Game has smooth controls, love that there is customization for controls.
    The bad part is, the game won't save for me. :(.
    Usig iPad 4th gen.
    Also the blood don't look good on the game. Looks like spilled tomatoe juice. Make realistic looking blood please.

10. mr_joe

mr_joe Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2012
    #70 mr_joe, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Yes yes yes this games is fun. To me the blood is perfect, it sort of reminds me of a old skool new skool anime effect, just have fun with it. It's a game that stand out,plus it has a completely different feeling to it compared the few great zombie FPS games on the AppStore. That just my opinion. But all in all this is a good game. Blows 2013: Infected Wars, back doors off. Now I'm just waiting for Dead trigger 2, Fifa 14 and infinity blade 3 to end the year off ###

11. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    So is it worth getting this over 2013 IW?

12. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Thanks for the impressions, I went ahead and picked this up too. Mant to go back to playing patapon but been playing and having a blast with this instead.

13. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    You can find mr joes exact opinion regarding your question by reading the post directly above your inquiry. Sucks I just had to waste thirty seconds typing that

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Don't mind Gov...he's got some quirks, to say the least..:p

15. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Yeah... I'm still confused whether it is real or just some sort of put on weirdness.

Either way: Gov, please try taking a step back and spend a few minutes reading prior to posting, thanks :)

Signed,

A least some people from TA

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    There's lots of blood splatters in the game. You would only protest. :D

17. tso5818

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Have you guys noticed how the zombies move? Kinda like electo slide.
    I mean when they walk and stop they glide a bit then walk again.

18. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    In tempted, but I'm already short three bucks to IB3, so I'm not really sure.

19. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    No worries. Normally I would just keep scrolling, but had a bad day, I guess.