Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I pre ordered this and forgot when it was coming so I was happy to find it on my phone the other day. I’ve seen it advertised on other platforms but never took the plunge but happily did so on my phone.

When I seen the review before getting s chance to fire it up it made me worry about the controls as I’ve gotten refunds in the past as controls made the game unplayable for me. But I’m happy to say despite how picky I am it works great and I’m loving the game so far it’s amazing and I already know I’m going to sink a lot of time into this, I can’t wait to get back on it already. Sure I’d probably do better on a pc but I still feel like I can control it just fine even from my first play so I’m sure I’ll only get better at using the controls.

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    On my way to ‘final’ boss.

Wish me luck.

[​IMG]

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    So, the question for all of you playing on big ass iPads with touch controls. Are you holding the device in your hands or do you keep it laying down on the table for example? Just curious :)

Mr. Charley likes this.
  4. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Tongue and nose m8.

#itsallabouttheambidextrousnostrils

syntheticvoid likes this.
  5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    It was meant to be a genuine question, but very well then.

6. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #106 JasonLL, Aug 30, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    I don’t have the biggest ass iPad Pro so I hold the device in my hands and use both thumbs. If I had the XL ass iPad Pro I would definitely invest in a PS4 or Xbox controller for the upcoming iPad OS. For me the largest iPad is big enough to place on a stand and game comfortably with a controller.

As a matter of fact I used to use my old Amiga monitor with all my video game consoles all the way up until the PS2 era. That old monitor had a much better picture quality than the TVs around the house and I believe the screen real estate of the new large iPad Pro compared to my old monitor would also be similar.

7. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    All life has ceased to exist around me... all I see....

Are dead cells....

jkluk23 likes this.
  8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #108 macplash, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    I played a bit yesterday for the very first time on iPad and made it to Forgotten Sepulcher and man, how I hate that place. Anyway, what I wanted to say about controls is that I'm constantly ducking. Seems like I can't find that one correct position to just move naturally to the sides. This caused me dying in Ramparts when I instead of jumping over the hole did ground slam into the void three times in a row. Are you using floating joystick? I understand it's about getting used to it, but still.. But auto-hitting option is just genius. Especially against the flying enemies and those who explodes and release the swarm of small crawling ones.. A few times I didn't even notice and auto-hitting just saved me. So yeah, pros and cons. Once I learn to stop ducking everything will be perfect :)

I know what you mean. Happened to me as well. I've been playing for 3-4 hours straight yesterday and everything was perfect. Today my very first run and the background music got stuck. It's like gramophone record skipping. Quitting to main menu doesn't help. You need to restart the game.

9. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany

I use the floating stick, no problems with accidental ducking and ground slam works well, too. Btw, holding my Air 2 with both hands.
    Really enjoying the game and glad that the controls work for me.

10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I have to admit. I didn't play Dead Cells on any of my consoles for a while. But now from the moment it's on my iPad I can't get enough of it. But here's what bothers me:

The first mutation to buy is, of course, Ygdar Orus Li Ox so when I run out of HP during fight I'm right back in action, once. Now, I noticed something strange. When I'm killed, instead of automatically using said mutation it just take a sip out of my flask and voila, HP is back. Depending on flask level this can happen multiple times. Only when I'm out of any health potion in my flask the Ygdar Orus Li Ox mutation is used!

I mean, this never ever worked like this before on consoles. When I ran out of HP during the fight, mutation was used no matter how full my flask was. And when I ran out again, it was game over. So my question is, is this a new feature implemented into a game on all platforms in one of previous updates (and I just missed it because of playing other games) or is it specific for iOS port just to make the game easier, more user friendly or whatever you want to call it? Because I'm pretty sure it wasn't like this before, when I was playing the game back in the days.

Not to mention, but I'm not sure about this one yet, once you refill your flask between stages, Ygdar Orus Li Ox is refilled as well? I just fought the Time Keeper and I got resurrected even though I could swear I already used my Ygdar Orus Li Ox in one of the stages before. But as I said, I might be wrong on this one. Passions are high during the hectic gameplay. Anyway, the flask thing is definitely new.

What I'm trying to say is the game feels easier with auto-hitting and the flask thing. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate it. I'm just stating the facts. So, yeah. Am I right or just getting confused?

11. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Is the mobile version easier than the PC one ? I got to the king on my third playthrough ...

12. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Same here. At times the unintentional climbing (up/down movement) while trying to avoid enemies feels like a three stooges skit.

Unfortunately I have difficulties both ways on my iPad. I prefer the floating stick since I don’t have to think about the position of the v-stick.

Hehe...I was wondering why on my very first run I was getting so many chances progressing through the stages :eek:....NOT THAT I’M COMPLAINING!! :D

I’ll just keep telling myself that it’s normal and that it was my amazing skills that kept me going.

13. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    #113 Pitta, Aug 31, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Meanwhile.......

[​IMG]

Soooooo satisfying.
    Took me endless tries and different combos, and the best part of last week to finally kill the Hand at very hard difficulty (BC3).
    Possibly the most difficult (and less frustrating) game I ever played (yeah I have Hollow Knight and Cuphead).

As far as I know the game is the very same as 1.1 Steam version, nothing has changed but the controls and UI.
    Enjoy powerful grenades till Playdigious update the version on par to the PC one.

While useful, imho it’s impossible to complete the game (and I mean partially complete the game, to the Hand) with auto hit.
    Maybe I’m wrong but NOW WAY you will avoid some attacks with auto hit on.

ste86uk likes this.
  14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @JasonLL I knew there's something "wrong" from the very first run.. I mean, it's a great idea to be honest and it definitely makes the game easier (or should I say "one less thing to worry about"), so I welcome it. My previous post is not a complaint. I just wanna set things straight.

Also, I put another 5-6 hours into the game today and unintentional climbing or making accidental ground smashes is far less off an issue. I mean sure, it happens from time to time, but I feel much more confident navigating through. In the beginning it felt like I'm in no control whatsoever. So yeah, it's getting much better.

Is anyone using swipe to dodge with touch controls? Also, with auto-hitting option enabled I did move my primary attack button completely out of way, almost to the middle of a screen. I had difficulty with auto-hitting only when equipped with Nutcracker because it's really slow and starts hitting too far from an enemy. And even though I kill enemy with one hit, it almost always did another swing, which was quite annoying.

Ok, I'm on my mission for that last rune. Got three - one more to go. Although, to make it all the way to Slumbering Sanctuary is not gonna be that easy. Wish me luck! :)

JasonLL likes this.
  15. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m on my third play ever of the game and feel like I’m doing pretty well, my first one didn’t really count I died in minutes as I didn’t have a clue what I was doing.

I’m finding the controls fine still, sure I could be a bit more skilful with a control but I’m still pulling things off I feel are good. I hardly ever use my melee weapon I’m forever using ranged skills. At the moment I’ve just made it to the black bridge I think it was for the first time.

It’s so easy bear trapping everyone and throwing a fire grenade on top, I just run in the melee the more squishy enemies.

Really enjoying the game and can’t wait to get time to play more.

16. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    LOL nightmare mode is INSANE.

17. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #117 JasonLL, Sep 1, 2019
    I’ll take your word for it since I’m still new and still trying to get the hang of things. The problem is if that’s 100% true then the auto-hit control method will need a couple more refinements since it should be possible both ways.

I tried it once but it seemed I needed to swipe on my character to roll left/right which is kind of a pain in the butt on tablets. I was hoping it would be more of a swipe on the move pad.

Edit: Just tried the “swipe to roll” option again and discovered you can swipe left/right anywhere except on v-stick. It works quite well, for me, swiping with my right thumb above the equipment/action buttons on the right side of the screen. If it continues to work out well it may eliminate an extra button which is a good thing.

18. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    So I've been at Pax West for the past two days and guess what I've been playing while waiting in line? Dead Cells! I've probably spent a good 3 hours+ in line playing it and it makes time go by so fast. I can't be as precise in that kind of environment but I'm still having fun.

And luckily, today I just beat the last boss for the first time!! I got hard carried by an L weapon which honestly, I can't think of anything topping this one (though I've only scratched the surface of this game). This SHOVEL is ridiculous. All hail the almighty shovel knight! It has high power, freezes ALL nearby enemies upon death, and can even knock away projectiles. It has everything I need for the tough enemies. Freezing is the best ability imo because it just stop enemies completely and with a strong weapon, it'll keep going. Then knocking away projectiles makes hard levels so much easier by keeping all those damn bomb chuckers away. It has saved me countless times.

Here's my final set up. I can't handle shields so bows are for me. The sniper bow is definitely my favorite currently. Then I LOVE drop projectile weapons, they keep the enemy distracted and do tons of DPS while I run away.

[​IMG]

I always pick these 3 skills on every run. I may try new setups once I actually get good at the game :)

Edit: I also like how the flask is used automatically when you're low on health. I imagine that's an ios feature to keep things simple. It definitely has saved my butt more times than I can count.

ste86uk likes this.
  19. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Is the shield bugged or something?! I never use a shield so I wanted to try it out and there have been a couple of times the character would stand in place with his shield out and not put it down all while getting mauled by the enemies on screen. Even when I was able to move a couple of feet he would take the shield out again without me pressing the action key for that item.

Maybe it’s something obvious I’m missing or some next level BS that I just don’t understand yet but I really don’t care for these shield controls at the moment. Hopefully it’s a bug...if not then woof.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #120 macplash, Sep 1, 2019
    Guys, seriously. I'm either tone-deaf or plain dumb, but can I get some help to put those bells in correct order? Please.

I'd swear it's 3 4 1 2 so why am I not getting the key?