Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #61 JasonLL, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    For me touch controls with auto mode feel really good so far. I hear the game gets a little crazy so I can’t speak on how the controls will handle those situations but the controls feel, as of now, almost relaxing with just having to watch my position and timing.

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    TBH I always left the lock 30 FPS option checked on iPad Air.
    Actually, I was just glad it even loaded on my ancient device.
    It's perfectly playable (I think I completed several BC0 runs on iPad Air, maybe BC2) and generally smooth.
    In some circumstances there are slowdowns, but tbh sometimes you are glad there are slowdowns...so you can better avoid the projectiles onslaughts :p

On more recent devices (I play on iPhone X) it's buttery smooth (I would say better than the Switch version).
    Franky it's a miracle it works on iPad Air.

The game always runs with all bells and whistles as its PC counterpart (nothing has been cut as far as I know), you can check/uncheck some visual options (not sure how they impact on performances) like health status and such.

DISCLAIMER: even if I do appreciate buttery smooth and high frame rates (like I get on iPhone) I'm not mental as many others about frame rates as long as I can play the game without issues and having fun (as I did, as I already completed the game several times).
    I don't want to argue but tbh I don't get people saying this game is not fun or impossibile without having constant over 100 FPS (which, I might add, very few people even get on PC...because the vast majority doesn't have a top of the line monster PC).

Enjoy the game, it's a glorious port of a glorious game, and a steal at the price....if you like the game there is a TON of content to look forward to!!!

3. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    The 'auto' mode is really a great idea for getting people accustomed to the flow of the game.
    I used it myself sometimes.

You will want to disable it and return to full controls later on because....reasons...(like among 10 enemies you want to kill first the one in the middle....or you want to go as far as possibile from a boss instead of hitting it now and be in the middle of its combo attack) but it's a great and very useful option imho.
    You can change it anytime you want.

houseofg likes this.
  4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Ahh this game is so good. It looked rather bland when I first started but then I some ended up spending 2 hours in one sitting. It's so much fun! I'm using the auto-hit mode and it makes life a lot easier. I can focus on using my skills and dodging. I just need to remember to keep dodging, I always forget. It would be nice if there was some slight haptic feedback options for attacks but that's fine. Customizing your controls is a must. For instance, I moved the regular attack button away since it isn't used in auto-attack mode.

My only gripe is that I use rotation lock on my device all the time (I hate when the screen flips or if I'm sitting in bed) and the game's default orientation is opposite of standard. Most games on lock have the game leveled where the home button is on the right. It feels off when I'm playing on the charger or when my fingers cover the speakers. This game I foresee myself playing a lot and it'll probably bother me having to disable rotation lock every time I play it.

Otherwise, the game is fantastic! I recommend it.

5. Maven

Maven Member

Dec 2, 2008
    After further testing... its not ready for 2018 iPad Pros.

Both my 12.9 and 11” versions are a bad experience.

The XS and XR in the hone run it better. Its not even close...

Hope they fix this soon

6. WjndWalk3r

WjndWalk3r Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    For the first approach, i think stick to the auto turret build with ice bomb or ice skill will help to complete the run easiest :D

7. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I understand it's not developers fault I'm trying to run the game on outdated device. I already got a new one, just not on me for a while. So I'm stuck with this, as you call it, ancient iPad Air for now. I'm not gonna ruin potentially positive experience with this game and rather wait until I get my hands on my new iPad Pro. I would imagine once in visually more demanding areas like Promenade, I'd be probably disappointed by slowdowns. I still have the game on all consoles and it's not going anywhere since it's under my purchased items already. I'm just glad the touch controls works so well for everyone. Glad and surprised, equally ;)

Luckily there are so many amazing games to play this week, one of which is Trail Boss BMX as my GotW. So. I'm definitely not gonna get bored or anything :)

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    My current status (trying to unlock the best forge).

[​IMG]

Mycroft, raravan and jpgold like this.
  9. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    First time playing and can’t get enough of this. Agree that “auto” is the way to go, at least for now.

I assume you always start at the “Prisoners Quarters”....is it best to complete/explore to level up? Does that mean the “Promenade of the Condemned” is the first level? When you get past that, are you able to skip the “Promenade” or do you always have to go through everything?

10. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    You always go through everything, but different paths open as you acquire runes that give you different abilities.

11. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    It's a bit more complicated than that and I don't want to spoil the fun (discovering things that initially don't make sense is part of the fun) so I'll be as vague as possible.
    Yes, you always start in prisoner quarters, but the road to 'final' (or 'second to final') boss can be different everytime (including mid bosses)....but you haven't all the items you need right now.
    You will understand soon enough (and the game will get bigger and bigger)....just keep playing and unlock stuff you think you might need in future runs.
    Just enjoy the flow of the game, kill monsters and read the story tidbits here and there.

As for exploring....you are given two possibile (very important) bonuses at the end of a biome (level)...each one gives you powerful items (the more you play, the more powerful they get) and cells (the fundamental goal of initial playthroughs, needed for unlocking stuff in next runs...hence the name of the game).
    One is for killing without being hit 30 enemies in first biome, then 60 in subsequent biomes (each).
    One is for speed running the level, trying to get to exit under a certain amount of time (time stacks so you need under 2 minutes for first biome, under 5 or 8 can't remember for second...and so on).

PERSONALLY, I found way easier to speed run initial levels to get cells to unlock stuff....but after a while, when you start to consistently get to the bosses, you will need EVERY possibile upgrade during a run (I died even with 40K HP and weapons that do 4K HP per hit) so I always explore every nook and cranny in all levels to find all parchments, elite troops and weapons....trying to kill everyone without being hit (or at the very least 60 enemies).
    There are also a TON of secrets in the game, like doors, portals, secrets tunnels....

I know...it may seem impossibile now but the more you will play, the bigger the game gets and a TON of possibilities you didn't see initially arise...and ultimately you will do it.

For reference, when I first got to first mini boss in BC0 (normal difficulty) it seemed impossibile to me.
    I die there for (real) days....then I started to really use all 4 slots you are given finding the right combos that best suited my play style (from sword and shield, to bows and traps to passive powers to regen to bombs to stealth attacks....this game has it all).
    Now I can complete a BC0 run from start to finish (4 bosses plus final boss) without being hit if I'm careful.
    Still, I can die as soon as I put my feet out of first door in BC3 :p

It's a really great game, suited for 'just one biome' or 'just one run' to playing for hours straight.
    And the sense of wonder, discover, danger and power is always there.

lezrock likes this.
  12. NonSoft

NonSoft Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    I have to say, that I think they’ve done as well as can be expected to get touch controls working in the game, that said... they’re still touch controls. In early stages/difficulties you may be able to get by with them, but it’s by no means ideal. That said, I do feel like I’m just not as good with touch controls as some people, so YMMV. I’ll be playing with a controller for sure.

One other weird thing, I played through one run on my iPad this morning, and then switched to my phone to see if it had synced. It hadn’t, but then when I opened it on my iPad again later, it was if I hadn’t played a run at all (synced to my phone?). Maybe it was a fluke or something that I did, but I’m a bit worried about syncing at the moment.

13. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    #73 jpgold, Aug 28, 2019
    Thanks for this, much appreciated. Reading this got me more excited for whats to come. I'm going to get ZERO done at the office today. That picture you posted is crazy, mine looks so empty, but looking forward to filling everything up.

Thanks again.

Also, these controls are perfection. Cannot understand how anyone can complain about them.

14. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    You have just sold the game to me.

No need to further reading, just hitting the purchase atm.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Touch controls are a skill, like any other — some people will master them, some will give up, some will stay somewhere in the middle. I’ve been gaming on my phone for over ten years now and usually have an easier time with touch than with controllers — probably because I’m an old keyboard and mouse guy. So far Dead Cells seems good, though I wish they’d use round rather than square buttons.

Otherwise, I find this to be a beautiful and exciting game marred only by a rogue-like design that simply does nothing for me. Grimvalor is much more my bag. No regrets, though — I knew what I was getting into. BTW, performance on my iPhoneXS is flawless.

16. BaronMunchausen

BaronMunchausen Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2017
    Exceeded my expectations! The touch controls even without auto are buttery smooth. Phenomenal game that’s never leaving my phone! This and Hyper Light Drifter...amazing!!!

pathogen541 likes this.
  17. leokamiya

leokamiya Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Go to Playdigious website and open a support ticket. They answered mine quickly and are now trying to troubleshoot what’s happening on my iPad.

18. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Anyone that’s a Rogue Legacy transplant and found the swipe to dodge from that game easier than using a button to dodge, turn on swipe to dodge in control options, allows you to swipe anywhere near the attack buttons to dodge. Works better for me than having to worry about a button press mid combat.

houseofg likes this.
  19. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #79 Dankrio, Aug 28, 2019
  20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Per a tweet by Playdigious replying to someone, Rise of the Giant WILL be coming to iOS. :D