Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Ghostdog1 is it really harder? I remember 0BC being very easy after some practice. Up to a point it was no challenge whatsoever to beat the game with literally any build imaginable.

I’m struggling on 4BC but not because the game’s harder but because I’m out of practice. I didn’t play for months, so I’m quite rusty. On the other hand, I’m enjoying the difficulty on 3BC a lot currently. I’m just collecting outfits, new items and blueprints, even new runes. There’s a ton of new content and I’m loving every bit of it.

Btw, I don’t think I had such successful killing streak before.. 163 enemies without being hit. Maybe the game’s even easier after all?:D

Attached Files:

2. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    It seems like in the new update, you can no longer move turrets with your detached head - can anyone confirm or am I missing some new way of doing this?

3. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Peter321 nope, since 1.3 (or the 13th as they call it), quote:

• Turrets can no longer be grabbed by the homunculus. Its chiropractor told it to stop any heavy lifting... Update 13.4

4. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    Ahh, that makes sense then, it was also almost too easy when you could do that. Love the reason they give

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Peter321 for all the bad stuff they did like nerfing my favorite ice shards or not allowing to equip 2 of the same items (unless one’s legendary), they compensate with Crow’s Foot mutation for me. I’m having a blast with it. Just running around, rolling and I don’t even have to fight anymore. Loving it, LOL.:)

6. Peter321

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    @macplash Not sure what Crows foot is (can’t find it in the wiki) but I was also a big fan of Ice Shards, especially combined with Hakuto’s bow ☺️

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Peter321 Crow’s foot is Tactics mutation. Its description: “Rolling leaves 3 crow's feet behind you (with a maximum of 9), inflicting [50 base] damage and slowing the enemies for 1.5 seconds.”
    Btw, drops from the chest inside of a Challenge rift, if you didn’t get it yet.

Anyway, just made it for the first time into and through the Cavern followed by Guardian’s Haven. Didn’t know it’s where I face the Giant so I entered foolishly with less than 2000 HP (on 2BC, lol) and got immediately killed after the cutscene.:D But for what it’s worth, the Cavern is masterfully crafted place with brand new enemies. Easily my new favorite biome in Dead Cells.

After watching a guide on how to beat the Giant on YouTube, I’m going again... although this time I’ll be more realistic and try 0BC, just in case, lol.:rolleyes: Wish me luck!

—-

Attached Files:

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yeah, 0BC isn’t really that much of a challenge. My last run took 29 minutes going through Prisoner’s Quarters - Toxic Sewers - Ancient Sewers - Insufferable Crypt - Graveyard - Cavern - Guardian’s Haven - Throne Room (beating Conjunctivius, Giant and HOTK)

Now back to insane 4BC to get that 5th boss cell...:cool: Like that’s gonna happen anytime soon.:rolleyes:

—-

Attached Files:

9. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Oh. My. God. The amount of empty bottles hanging in my Prisoner's Quarters caused a dopamine rush that I am STILL recovering from. And is it just me, or did Deadcells get a fresh coat of paint since the last update? It looks SO PRETTY. I forgot how much of a masterpiece this game is. Made my way to the Cavern for the first time, but forgot to grab the damn key prior to and ended up not being able to enter. The new weapons are SO AWESOME, and the lightspeed power up is so rad when combined with a mutation that lowers your skill cooldowns. I am a blur of flashing lights and body parts. I am death.

PraetorianX likes this.
  10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    LOL, welcome to the club! First time I just stood there like a dummy with no clue what to do (see attached screenshot below). Luckily, once you unlock the door it stays open forever. I can’t count how many attempts that head throw took me to grab a key. If it wasn’t in the beginning of the run I might’ve lost my patience eventually and never got to the Cavern, which would be a shame because as I previously stated, that place is just gorgeous!

——

Attached Files:

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    With this new update I’m experimenting with Survival builds (without shields, uhm) and I just got this crazy synergy between my items and mutations resulting in ridiculously overpowered headless killer.

Giantkiller (blueprint drops from the Giant when you kill him for the first time and I suggest you to do that asap because this weapon is ridiculous!). It inflicts critical hits if the victim is an elite enemy or a boss. This means I’m killing elites in like literally one hit. Took me three hits in between tentacle attacks on Conjunctivitis. She didn’t even get to her crazy shooting phase. On top of all that this weapon is crazy fast. I expected heavy and slow weapon like broadsword, but this is madness.

Frost Blast that freezes enemies in front of me.

Ice Armor covers you in ice absorbing one attack and freezing nearby enemies. If you take no damage it explodes after 8 seconds or when you trigger the skill again.

Telluric Shock that means leap in the air and violently land back on the ground to inflict damage (it’s that attack that HOTK does)

Golden amulet that freezes enemies that hit me.

Now, every single item has like 2 survival points (took a lot of gold on re-rolling stats) and basically every single item has +175% damage to a frozen target. On top of that goodies like slow down after thaw spread to nearby enemies, victims slow down nearby enemies when they die etc. Yeah, and I got as a bonus +100% damage inflicted on enemies, +100% damage taken, which makes all the stats twice as powerful.

And finally where everything comes together: mutations (like all that above wasn’t enough).

Crow’s foot (it’s Tactics, I know, but bear with me). Rolling leaves 3 crow’s feet behind you (with maximum of 9) inflicting damage and slowing the enemies for 1.5 seconds.

Heart of ice : melee attacks on slowed, frozen or immobilized enemies reduce skill cool downs by 3 seconds!

Frostbite causing enemies to suffer damage while they are slowed down.

——-
    I mean, honestly, how crazy is that?!:cool: So, yeah. Just wanted to share this with you guys. I’m just having a blast! Rolling around slowing everyone, freezing them with frost blast wearing invincible ice armor and if necessary hitting them with giantkiller, and if that doesn’t kill them there’s this final smash from above. I so love this game.:)

12. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Incredible update, almost a different game now! My favorite new thing is Lightspeed, dashing wildly is so satisfying... And the Neon outfit!

pathogen541 and macplash like this.
  13. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    #473 Unordinary, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    I bought the game on release but was to busy with rogue legacy at the time than levelhead after. I just now started playing and It’s really good, really hard aswell, you have to take time to learn all the enemy patterns, any good blueprints, items, upgrades i should lookout for or avoid at the beginning?

14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I just picked it up from that caterpillar in Ancient Sewers, but didn’t unlock it yet. I’m looking forward to it. I love outfits. Did you already get flying alcoholic outfit?:D Costs 2 cells to unlock, LOL. Currently I’m looking fabulous in HOTK’s outfit, but I like Giant’s as well and mage’s. Aphrodite’s was my favorite. Basically I’m thinking about checking an option box for random outfit each run in the gameplay settings.;)

bx59 likes this.
  15. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Whoah, thanks for the tip! I had the blueprint for it, but didn't notice it was just 2 cells to unlock, I unlocked it right away! And what can I say, I like shiny stuff so Neon outfit is my favorite so far, but I've already did the random outfit thing!

Man I'm a mostly tactics person, and this update is doing wonders for me. Great Owl of War + Magic Missiles = the game basically becomes a shmup, these two are so broken lol. Just combined them with Hokuto's Bow, and I'm basically a walking turret now. Now I'm grinding the Caverns for the last time to get Shrapnel Axes, than I'll be going for HOTK on 1BC to get the Recycling Tubes, than I'll go back to the 2BC.

Can I nominate this game for GOTY again this year? I definitely can haha.

macplash likes this.
  16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @bx59 what are magic missiles? When I’m running Tactics build I’m and Owl man myself although I wasn’t lucky enough yet to find one legendary owl so I can have two summoned at the same time. That’ll be crazy. Hopefully soon.

This game’s GOTY again for sure. This update turned it into a brand new game including visual tweaks and whatnot. Not to mention, it’s already a GOTY contender for next year with paid DLC Bad Seed coming. Can’t wait to wield two scythes!:D And I started playing on 0BC so I can get all the variations of outfits from bosses (each difficulty drops different one). I’m on 3BC atm.

Anyway, currently I’m all for Survival builds as mentioned in my previous post. I just picked up Giantkiller in the Caverns right before going against Giant. Poor guy, lol.. he doesn’t stand a chance.:cool:

——

Attached Files:

17. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    #477 bx59, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    @macplash I've just unlocked Giantkiller as well, can't wait to try it with decent synergies!

Here is the "Magic Missiles" with decent commentary, owls included. It's just so good.

Edit: Decent was the wrong pick there, I'd say pretty great. Usually I can't watch any streams etc, but this guy just does it for me. Kudos to him!

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I feel the same way lol :)

bx59 likes this.
  19. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @Boardumb If the boss feels like it, who are we to judge lol!

Btw, 2BC done!
    F3FE253A-D27A-4635-8202-3D1804298D2F.png

20. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Enjoying being back on the game, the update motivated me to fire it back up.

Starting off with no cells to get back into it, doing really well and not as rusty as I thought I would be and mostly getting hit zero times but having the odd fumble with my buttons leading to me being hit and I do try to never get hit at least on this difficulty. I’ll play it some more until I unlock a bit more and feel ready to go to cell 1 again.