Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Pre-orders work the old school iOS release schedule worked. Remember how there used to be [NZ] tags on threads?

Okay, definitely, definitely change the framerate from 30 to 60 fps. Wheeeeew what a difference.

2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    is this option available on all devices even if they can't handle it?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    No clue bud. Doesn’t help that I’m on a XS.

4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Gameplay videos with 30fps locked framerate looks terrible. No way the game's meant to be played that way. If this option's there just to support more devices, than it sucks. I'm not keeping the game if that's the case. We'll see.

5. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Same here i'm in Athens Greece so we have the same time. 2 o'clock be patient:p

6. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Yeah!!

7. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Im in the mo' fudgin USA and have to wait till my balls drop for the game to release............

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @pathogen541 dude, at least it's not at 2am like for us.. poor souls in Europe :rolleyes:

Still 2 hours to go though.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    For those of you concerned about how this controls with touch controls, fret not...if you don’t have a controller on you, switch to the extremely smart mobile-only auto-hitting option. Trust me, it makes it much easier to cope with the hectic pace of the game. That said, it’s inclusion makes this the definitive version of Dead Cells for me. It’s both mobile friendly and gives you the original experience all for a ridiculously low price. Now we just need to make sure Rise of the Giant (and any future DLC) is coming out for this.

Lull4by likes this.
  10. sakara214ever

May 10, 2012
    Wow that is really food to know! Now i am downloading 100%

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @metalcasket does auto hitting option work for primary weapon? Im usually using ice bow as a secondary, but sometimes two bows. It's different from running around with a dagger or a whip.. I'm really curious how everything's gonna work out even though my main concern is about framerate. So, yeah.

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It takes a load off of you even though it doesn’t seem like it. Instead of mashing endlessly to melee, it gives you some breathing space (lol, as if) to plan your maneuvering.

13. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    True dat my pre-order awaiting, European brethren. Keep checking my phone over and over....

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yep, absolutely. It’s your primary weapon.

Regarding the framerate, ehhh...I know you have every right to be worried, but it’s not all that bad at 30fps. It’s a little jittery in comparison, but to be honest I forgot I had it turned back on and didn’t even realize for a good while.

Sorry folks, I’ve gotta hit the sack but just trust me when I say this port is everything, was totally worth the wait, and I’d be hard pressed to believe anyone would ever delete this and/or ask for a refund. It’s magnificent.

Oh...and yeah, this is a bit shameless, but screw it. Please check out Trail Boss BMX. :) It’s a Game of the Year contender.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  15. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    SHIT I didn't even realize I was bringing up the touch controls thing with you on the iOS gaming reddit lol. JUST FEELING A LITTLE ARGUMENTATIVE TODAY. Im sorry lol. Good to know Im not the only TA transplant roaming the reddit over there.

L.Lawliet and macplash like this.
  16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @metalcasket there are weapons with advanced stats and double damage when stabbing opponent to the back or hitting him right after dodging.. I'm curious how will "auto-hitting" work with them :rolleyes:

17. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    You worry too much! Dude, it just works. The thing is relentless. The second you dodge an enemy and come into close proximity to their backs, the thing sets itself off like there’s no tomorrow.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I was lucky enough to be part of the beta, if playing over 100 hours of a nearly perfect port from the get go can be considered beta testing.

It is, hands down and most surprisingly even to me, the best port ever of one of the best games I ever played.
    And I should add, one of the most difficult to port.

I had some previous brief experience with the game on the Switch (my son Switch), but never completed a single run there.

As I said, I played over 100 hours last weeks (and I continue playing) and I’m currently on BC3 (for the ones who don’t know, means I’ve completed the whole game on normal, difficult and very difficult, currently playing on insane). I’ve unlocked almost everything, but I’m still playing and discovering things.

All with touch controls (they are, hands down, the best of the best, even better than Dust: Elysian Tale, most similar game with good controls I can think of, UI wise).
    Game supports controllers anyway, and it’s dead perfect on both latest devices and not so latest ones (I played a TON on iPad Air too, besides iPhone X).

On iPhone X is particularly buttery smooth with high FPS and gorgeous graphics.

iCloud sync works like a charm, on multiple slots.

This is, as far as I know, version 1.1 of the game. Nothing has been changed, including difficulty.

Reviews of the game are everywhere so read them to check if you can like the game, I can just testify the port is flawless imho and the touch controls, which shouldn’t work at all in a game like this....well.....they just work.
    In all my games I never, ever thought I died because of controls....actually they are second nature (I just moved the potion button from the default position.....oh I forgot....controls are fully customizable).
    If you are accustomed to touch controls, it doesn’t get better than this.

Anyway....I just want to point something about the port, something generally not talked about.

Optimization.

The game is INCREDIBLY optimized...you can play for hours without having to worry about the battery or your device being a toaster, even in the most graphical intense levels.

I really still can’t believe after all the runs I did, I can just get my iPhone out of my pocket and do a biome.
    Also, I can’t believe one of my most desired game on my favorite platform, not to mention one of my most anticipated games....turned out to be so awesome (it never happens).

I really really recommend the game, it’s really awesome and my goty so far (GRIS is close tough, but totally different game).

Beware, it’s a demanding game.

It’s fun and always but you will die a lot before starting to understand how things really work and unlocking your favorite weapons in their ++ version gold L version.
    And you will continue to die and restart.
    Bosses will seem impossible until you’ll defeat them...then you will defeat them every single run.
    And then there is BC1, BC2, etc...which feel new games because....reasons.

An outstanding achievement by Playdigious imho, ports can’t get any better than this.

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Well. This is fit.

Labdef ub the U.K. 17 mins ago, going by my emails!

20. sakara214ever

May 10, 2012
    Amazing. Seems like playdigious made a true miracle porting this game for ios and that said my game is downloaded. Off to play this gem