Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    What are those statues that give off sparks when you touch them? So much I haven’t figured out yet with locked doors I never find keys for or paths I can see but can’t find a way to get there!

Beat my first boss on the black bridge which wasn’t too hard thanks to the bear traps and fire grenades I had on that run, but then sadly perished after meeting my first cursed chest which cursed me to die in 1 hit unless I kill 10 people to remove the curse....I thought oh that’ll be easy I don’t get hit very often....died to the first mob!

2. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    For the statues you need a special (permanent) item you have yet to find.
    About the doors.....they will open progressively only when playing at higher difficulties, ie only after you beat the game first time.
    They are super cool, they add ultra cool items and new dungeon configurations.
    So cool that together with the totally revamped enemies mix and powers, each run with cells > 0 feels like a different (cooler) game.

I’m now in BC5 and it’s INSANE.
    Basically all enemies are elite with the teleport power, it you can do like 2-300 cells and 100K per biome.
    Not to mention gold items drops.

ste86uk likes this.
  3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk about statues:
    once you find the Teleportation rune, those statues will teleport you to new locations. You'll find the rune in Toxic Sewers where you get by using Vine rune straight from first level, the Prisoner's Quarters. That's the one rune you should have already. (when you see a green pile on the ground you rub it and vine grows from it granting you access to new location)

Yeah, I never open cursed chests.. The risk is just not worth it. Especially when you already have L weapon it's just pointless to test your luck.

EDIT Pitta did beat me to it. Btw, @Pitta can I get help on those bells from my previous post? :)

ste86uk likes this.
  4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Thank you both and good luck Pitta! The game really is great and just different weapons and changes like with the blacksmith I have now can make each run so different it just makes the game fun to play every time because I can play with different things and keep learning more on what I like and what I should do.

Thanks for the tip about the statues I’ve just gone to the sewers so I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

5. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Actually I never thought of ringing the bells in order!!!!
    Thanks...now MAYBE I can get the last moon flower key I was never able to get (hopefully). 3 in a row guards a special door in a secret room in the castle.
    I notice you ring some more than once? Maybe you have to ring them JUST once, in order? (Just a guess).

As for the cursed chests...initially I stayed away from them...but later on you will need those power parchments to improve HP and DPS.....and every bit counts.
    I stop using them when I’m over 30K HP and I have multiple >2K dps weapons (and I still die a lot to bosses, Hand in particular).
    Sometimes not even 10K dps traps are enough (or I just suck).

6. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Pitta yeah.. Ringing them just once was the issue No.1 but more importantly and reason No.2: once I have a Clocktower key I need to unlock the door first in order to get Bell Tower key and since it's quite easy to find, of course I already had it but didn't open the door (why would I? It's only elevator there, nothing else so I kept it as the final step when leaving Clock Tower).. Pretty stupid requirement if you ask me, but nevertheless it worked so I'm a proud owner of Bell Tower key which grants me access to:

7. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Holy crap!!
    There's so much to this game I never had any clue about....
    Thank you all for posting!!!
    =D

ste86uk likes this.
  8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    And here I am.. :)
    [​IMG]
    Equipped with this.. :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    Wish me luck.. :oops:

ste86uk likes this.
  9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    You will see ;)
    There is SO MUCH to this game.
    There are a LOT of biomes too, each one different and some with special mechanics I won’t spoil.

My favorite ‘secret’ thing is the secret portals to other dimensions you can summon sometimes (very cool effect too).
    While you walk around, watch out for a single floor brick that shines for a bit and then... :p

syntheticvoid and ste86uk like this.
  10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Whoa.
    Good luck...you shouldn’t have any problem with that gear!!!!
    I never, ever saw that power and TWO golden items (before having the last forge) even in BC4!!!!

11. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Messing with the controls configurations a bit more and the game definitely is bugged at the moment when it comes to the shield with swipe to dodge turned on. Turning off swipe to dodge the character will properly put down the shield after each press of the button. With swipe to dodge turned on using the shield effectively is impossible since the character will remain in a defensive stance unable to move.

12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yeah, I got my ass kicked.. It was embarrassing :(

I even did reset my abilities and picked 50% additional health. I got over 25.000 HP, Healing Flask lvl 2 and Ygdar Orus Li Ox and yet, he's been beating me like a Cherokee drum. I made a few successful parries though. That's the first. To my defense, he had definitely less than 10% health when he finally killed me for good (made it through all his 3 stages) but more importantly, this was my very first attempt in fighting Hand of the King. Ever.

After all that time I spent playing this game on consoles I never made it that far. Well, I'm an old fart (42yo) with poor reflexes, so this was quite an accomplishment for me. I'm pretty sure with healing flask on higher level and more suitable build, I can make it. And I'll try!

Also, all this with touch controls on iPad! Say what? So I have to admit and apologize to @pathogen541 for doubting him before. :rolleyes: Or not. Who would've known, right? He might not even remember it :cool:

13. Ben909

Ben909 Well-Known Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I’d never played Dead Cells on any other platform and had never even heard of it until it came to iOS. I love it. I’ve only made it to the first two or three areas but can see me playing it for a long time to come. My only gripe with the game is the movement control. It’s over-sensitive in the up/down direction so that I’m constantly dropping down from platforms or climbing ladders etc when I don’t want to. Also the left/right control doesn’t seem sensitive enough, so when I try to run from a situation, I often find myself rooted to the spot for a moment. I don’t know if the devs are reading, but just a small tweak to the movement control would make such a difference. If the Rogue Legacy controls could be used in Dead Cells it would be perfect!

ste86uk likes this.
  14. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Agree with you 100%.

15. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    #135 pathogen541, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    just defeated the hand for the first time, touch controls only. This was my load out. Frankly, I almost died (as you can see). The touch controls are as close to flawless as I have yet encountered on a mobile game. WITH THAT BEING SAID: what almost killed me In this fight was that I kept “groundslamming” into the spike pits to the left/right of the fighting area. @macplash ME?! FORGET?!?! Pfffffsssshhhhhh.... I’m just thankful they worked this well! Honestly, I was scared I’d be eating my words over the touch controls, but I’m very thankful they seem to be working as well for me as everyone else!! MORE OVER, I’m pumped to hear you made it to the hand with touch controls!!!! You’ll get him my guy!!! He’s a damn CHORE! NOW ITS ON TO BSC1. PS: this is easily my mobile GOTY. Hands down. Without question. Digital amphetamines.

Attached Files:

JasonLL likes this.
  16. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Great job Pathogen! What touch control method did you use to go through the game? I switched to the classic controls with auto hit off at the moment in case auto hit gives me issues mid to late game.

pathogen541 likes this.
  17. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    I used the full button set up, no auto attack. I just moved a couple buttons around and was good to go! Fixed joy stick tho as I felt the moveable stick was a little frustrating! Feels like the game is just starting now tho. Lol

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #138 macplash, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Ok guys, I gave it another go. This time with different build. Much more direct approach than before when I sneak around like a pussy letting my towers do all the job. No no. This time equipped with ice weapons and big ass heavy sword I hacked ‘n slashed my way into the Throne Room once again. And guess what?

I killed that SOB like a pro. Didn’t even have to use my healing flask! Not even once. So, here I am. Next to you guys who did beat Hand of the King as well. @Pitta @pathogen541 or @L.Lawliet and whoever made it through. It’s a pleasure to be in such elite company.

I do have a question though. Now when I’m starting over I have an option to use 1st Boss stem cell to increase difficulty to hard. If I do that, do I have an option to go back to Normal difficulty next time? If I find the difficulty unbearable I’d rather have fun playing on Normal and relax. So I don’t wanna ruin my save file. I assume with new save file I’d have to start completely from scratch, right?

Last but not least, I did use touch controls. All the way from the beginning to the very end. I didn’t change anything during the run. I used auto-hitting option despite the slow and heavy primary weapon. It was so powerful I needed to slash 3 times max even with the strongest enemies. Combination of ice grenades, ice crossbow and heavy sword was totally OP.

This game’s a masterpiece. Definitely GOTY. I’m planning to spend so much time enjoying it. Best purchase ever. Whoever is undecided, just go for it.

Oh, and here’s my final build. I wish I had more mutations to choose from, but I need to unlock them first :)

[​IMG]

EDIT: oh, and check out stats of that Ruby amulet. That made all the difference in the world. Whenever I smashed the ground it caught on purple/pink fire and burned everything and everyone to the crisp.

19. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    AHHHHHHYEEEEAH! And I’m sure you’ve found out by now, but switching between BSC1 and normal mode won’t hurt your save file. You can change it before the start of every run in the Hall of Bottles (my name for it. Lelelel) way to go on using the touch controls man!!! Glad to say we BOTH kicked his ass!!!

20. Maven

Maven Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Its more than just these things. Frame rate is completely inconsistent making it really hard on the eyes. The first stage is somewhat acceptable, but its completely off the rails when it comes to being smooth by the second stage.

Even at the beginning of the game, watching the background while passing the hanging bottles you can completely see the lag and inconsistent frame rate. :(

Hyper light drifter has the same issue.