Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    So pissed. I obviously didn't beat him when I had to start over. Back to square one.

2. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    I’ve been grinding out normal runs, going separate paths, making it a point not to replay the same areas run after run. Thus far, the toxic sewers>ancient sewers>insufferable crypt>graveyard>forgotten sepulcher>clock room>high castle>HoK path has been my focus. Trying to get some blue prints to drop. Plus graveyard is just a lot of fun. Those other carrier zombies that unleash the flying buggers are fun to kill over and over. So much guts. So much blood.

ALSO: been trying out the Hunters Grenade. Not a fan. I understand the mechanic but I’d rather just grind runs than keep an ability slot occupied for a one off that MAY or MAY NOT work. Too much finesse required, at least in my experience.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  3. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016

I feel for you dude. Granted, it wasn’t the HoK that I defeated, it was a rare blue print that dropped off the Guardian Knights in the Castle. I got all the way to the end damn near and had to side line my run for a while. Came back and it had me restart the entire biome, only to get rat-fu**** by the business end of a lancer’s...... lance. Infuriation ensued..... then I got over and started another run cuz I’m addicted.

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Quoad that just happened.. I welcome myself to the club :cool:

[​IMG]

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I didn’t know there’s an option to get my health back after being hit. So it works exactly like in Bloodborne? If anyone’s familiar with it, can you explain? Or am I making false assumptions based on that mutation’s description?

[​IMG]

6. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I’ve used that mutation in the past, as far as I remember when you get hit hard, you see a yellow bar rapidity depleting (over the red bar) subtracting hit points.
    If you are hit over your total HP, you die but while the yellow bar depletes (poison, etc) you still have time to use the potion.
    The time you have is doubled with that mutation as far as I remember.

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Pitta interesting. The only time I realized there's a yellow bar above my health is when I'm poisoned with malaise fighting elites in High Peak Castle. And not even that anymore because I'm killing them without being hit lately (or so fast they don't have a chance to attack). In Bloodborne there's a smal time window you can get most of your HP back after being hit. You just need to be fast and hit that enemy back. So I guess it's kinda pointless in Dead Cells since you use your healing flask automatically.

I'm collecting really interesting mutations lately. I got like 20-25 to unlock because I prioritized everything else over those. Now there's nothing much left to unlock so I'm starting with mutations. :)

8. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Sort of. I found a page on Dead Cell game mechanics, which I briefly dibbled into before deciding ‘nah. Leave it to exploration.’

The regen time is, yeah, the bit of your health bar that goes yellow when you’re hit. Whilst it’s dropping down towards the remaining green, ANY DAMAGE YOU DO fills the yellow back up with green. If you get hit again whilst it’s yellow then (IIRC) it either depletes much faster or you lose the original chunk altogether. Even with 1 boss cell active, I can see massive damage sometimes being done; that is hugely mitigated by my spanking whoever it was that dealt it to me (plus others near him).

The ‘avoiding death’ mechanic is a different one. I’m going to take a punt here, but top of my head it’s that if you would have lost >75% of your HP in a single hit that would otherwise kill you, you instead get reduced to 1hp and all nearby enemies are temp stunned.

The page on game mechanics is generally worth a read, if interested. I swiftly discovered there was all kinds of shizzle that I just hadn’t got. (The CONSECUTIVE vs total kills to open doors being one of these - think I went looking bc I’d killed every fucker on L1 and STILL hadn’t got the open door. Which, you know. How could I get more than 30, then?!).

9. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Quoad yeah, I just realized that, when @Pitta described it.. I made a screenshot after being hit.. it’s different from the yellow bar above HP when being poisoned.

[​IMG]

10. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    The Malaise is a completely different mechanic, it's the orange bar ABOVE your HP bar....that incidentally is killing me left and right in BC4, while it was a non issue before.
    In BC4 EVERY monster (plus other things I won't spoil) adds to malaise.

I'm not sure sure if you hit back you regain the yellow part (I'm probably wrong tough)...I always use the regen green mutation so it's difficult to tell (I gain X% of HP back every enemy I kill).

BTW as I've a ton of difficulties to beat the Hand in BC4, I'm doing something unusual (for me anyway).
    I did a full unscratched BC0 run, followed immediately by a BC4 run....I'm still alive with over 500 cells to spend(I can't spend cells anymore in lower BC unfortunately) and I'm just in front of the Concierge.
    GOLD ITEMS FORGE, HERE I COME.

11. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Je. Sus.

It's great when a thread takes off like this... but even more so when it's for a game I'm currently kind of obsessed with.
    Granted, I'm not anywhere near as far into it or as good as all of you (I've got 1BC, but am still playing on normal to unlock and upgrade as much as I can before moving on.... besides, the last time I tried 1BC, I didn't even make it to the Black Bridge....), but it's great reading all of these posts.
    And then this link^^^^ kind of blew my mind. I mean, I had a general idea of some of the stuff listed there, but... there is just SO FREAKING MUCH going on in this game!

Oh, ha.... I also booted the game up on my laptop a few days ago. It is ABSOLUTELY CRAZY how much has been added since version 1.1 (er... the version that we're all playing on). It almost feels like a sequel... at least a "Version 1.5" type upgrade of the game.
    I still need to keep playing this iOS edition at least until I can reliably beat 1BC on a regular basis before I jump back into the PC build.

Anyway... I can now see why so many people have become so obsessed with this game over the last few years.
    It's definitely one of those games that will find a very nice home on my very short "games I play for years and years" list.

12. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Going in to the final battle with: Assassins Daggers, Ice Crossbow, Heavy Turret, and Cluster Grenades..... wish me luck and this time I wit NOT exit out.

I used the Impaler for most of the run. Hope I didn’t make a mistake by switching to the Daggers.

13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @jpgold impaler's one of my favorite melee weapons.. critical hit right after the roll is priceless perk.. I wouldn't switch to assassin's daggers if I were you.. Hope they had much much better stats.

Also make sure you switch your mutations before entering the throne room. It costs 1000 coins if you do it just once. I'm usually taking 50% health boost because you don't need and get food during the boss fight. If you're still being hit a lot, it's a must.

Also kinda strange choice on turret + cluster grenade. I'd go either with 2 turrets (even of different types) or 2 grenades (but definitely not with cluster).. Well, doesn't matter at this point. You got your build, let's make the best out of it. Fingers crossed! Go get him!

14. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY

Whew....did it! Never had so much fun and looking forward to whats to come.

Wait....can you no longer refill your potion after each level?

15. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    And that’s not even the worst thing that will happen :p

One thing I REALLY like about the game is that BC>0 (a mechanic I initially wasn’t fond of) is that it’s not just ‘harder’.
    The new enemy mix and placements and powers, combined with your new gear and new ‘mechanics’ (like the progressive absence of refills) makes the runs effectively new.
    I was forced to use new combos and tactics to survive, using mutations and gear I never thought useful before.
    That’s one of the many greatness of the game.
    They still surprise me in BC4.

16. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    The difficult definitely ramps on BC1. Can’t even imagine the others. I feel like I did last week when I couldn’t get past the first level.

Assume I’ll eventually get used to the new “powers”

17. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Yeah you definitely do, trust me.
    The game has many surprises in its sleeve.

I remember when I first reached the Concierge in BC0....seemed impossibile to me.
    Just impossibile.
    Now I can do a full BC0 without getting hit not even once...and it's not because I'm good or anything...it's because this is the classic game you really improve the more you play (and it's not just grinding items).

Speaking of grinding items....I really don't advise people to do that.
    Mutations...sure.
    Forge and permanent powers, go ahead.
    But items....I wish I didn't unlock MANY OF THEM...becasue I hate finding them in my runs.

If I ever start a new save....I'll unlock only some type of weapons...to be sure to always find them in my run.

18. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    does anyone know which types of enemies are missing from the console version?

19. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    The game is the very same of 1.1 Steam version (I think Steam version is now 1.4 which includes Rise of the Giants, not sure as I don't have the Steam version).
    As far as I know the devs are working to get the iOS version updated to be on par with Steam version, including eventually Rise of the Giant DLC (which has been confirmed).
    No timeframe tough.