Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I already reached out to them with link to the video, but from their response there's just nothing they can do. Mostly because of RAM limitations of older devices. But thanks anyway. I'm aware of the fact it's not developer's fault. Still, these devices shouldn't be listed as supported on the App Store page though.

2. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    So my favorite skill has to be the Phaser. I am unstoppable with that equipped.

Does anyone use the shield in their loadout? I feel like the ranged attack is more useful, but would love to hear thoughts.

3. Maven

Maven Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Sent a request to [email protected] in hopes for them to look into issues with my 2018 iPad Pro (6GB Version).

I have terrible performance with my 1TB/6GB Ram IPP in comparison to my other 2018 IPP 256/4GB Ram version.

Memory leak or management issue perhaps like the developers of BattleChasers had at launch?... Dunno

4. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    I haven't gotten Phaser yet but I want it so badly. I've been grinding out the promenade hoping to kill the Sword-dudes that carry the blue print but no luck yet. I have used shields occasionally, and it really depends on what my primary weapon is, as far as deciding whether to keep the shield or not. If I've got say, the symmetrical lance, and a good shield (Assault/Blood shielf preferred) with some frost effects on it; god mode. It really depends on the weapon you have to go along with it, and how your planning to build out. Personally, I almost go ranged every time, but if the initial load out looks like crap but Ive got a good shield, Ill take it over the bow er whatever. Like any time the repeater cross bow shows up....hard pass.

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @jpgold @pathogen541 so what's the Phaser? I don't have it either or at least I don't know where to look. What does it do?

You mentioned shields. I tried to play with shield once, but parry is too tricky. By simply holding the shield I'm still taking a lot of damage. Parry is a must. That's why I never killed a single Guardian in LoZ: BotW o_O

6. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    phaser is a skill I believe that lets you teleport behind the enemy?? @Pitta correct me if I’m wrong here, but I believe the red sword dudes that teleport behind you and fuck your day up in the promenade drop the blueprint. I’m currently trying to get it right now but I am having an off night. Getting annihilated left and right.

7. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Unfortunately don’t remember when I got It, but correct.....it’s a skill that teleports you behind the closest enemy. In addition, it increases you DPS significantly when using.

I’m working on the Spider Rune now and being very unsuccessful.

8. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    As far as I know, all blueprints BUT some specific ones (generally behind a door/puzzle/special enemy) are randomized.

9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    1A8652A5-1516-4B5E-A853-6593A35384AB.png

That’s a first for me!

L.Lawliet, Pitta and macplash like this.
  10. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    My experience of this is that it requires a whole other level of learning / application in order to render it functional. It's not useful against enemies on different levels, and can become confused and actively self-harming if multiple enemies are around - particularly if they're queueing up (so to speak) or arriving in a staggered sequence.

I started out thinking that this looked like an awesome way to smash e.g. those shield bearing tinkers. And the big white chuggers on L or 3 (ramparts def) who shoot purple wotsits. But soon came to think that it was an excellent way of getting myself killed quickly.

I have parked this one in the 'perhaps learn how to use this effectively later' pile.

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Quoad Are you human? I mean, one of those sure, anytime.. But both? Impressive!

Quoad likes this.
  12. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Are you a gaming guru? A pianist? How many fingers do you have? 30 perfect kills and both scrolls under 2 mins????

Quoad likes this.
  13. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    :)

I'm glad to hear that other people aren't finding it too easy #rofl.

Since my restart / new save, I've been crashing out on runs that weren't going to open one door or the other. And, IDK, the 2 minute run just feels a bit cheap. (And like cutting myself a bit short over the longer term - I'm obvs unlikely to get both scrolls if I'm on a speed run!)

So I've been gunning for the 30 kills target. And this run just fell together - hit 30 just as the end door popped into sight, and on about 1:50!

It did feel very satisfying.

I've just reached 65 consecutives in the Stilt Village, which is my current best. Feel as if I've cracked that level now, though, so am hoping for something daft on later runs :D

ramzarules likes this.
  14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Quoad I watched this guy’s run on BC5 difficulty without being hit and let me tell you, it’s pretty discouraging. Makes you feel like the biggest noob. Like what am I even doing? The godlike level of some people is ridiculous. If you’re a developer, how is it even possible to find right mixture of difficulty that fits everyone’s skill? Well, my point being, when you posted that screenshot I immediately did remember this guy, so yeah. Check it out (for inspiration - in your case). For us, mere mortals, whatever other reason we find fit.

Quoad likes this.
  15. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    The most i can do is go for both scrolls and open the 2 mins door, dodging though almost everything and finish at around 1:50. Maybe it was a perfectly aligned run with gear enemy placements etc, but still, well done!

Quoad likes this.
  16. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Yeah there are people like this, people who finish the Souls trilogy hitless consecutively, who beat 7 spawned Sekiro bosses simultaneously or (shudder) finish perfectly all the dlc bosses of Hollow Knight. I think these are just a very small genius percentage of people, who take what they do in another level completely.
    My personal satisfaction is playing and managing to finish these games, because even so, you feel part of a specific group, less about elitism, and more about going through the experience with a small group of people who didnt give up.
    The only one i didn’t manage is Rogue Legacy. When i die there 90% of my earnings is gone, and curiously, my skill is not improving like in the other games.
    Anyway, midnight rant over :)

17. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    There will always be exceptional players and I’m not sure developers should try to cater to the greatest among them since you may alienate the vast majority of players (including most of the dev team).

I remember hearing stories about the pre-release versions of Darkest Dungeon and how the game was way more punishing than it is today since the loudest people were the super hardcore and the devs made the mistake of thinking the super hardcore was the norm and unfortunately it became a bit of a mess.

Also the classic Gothic 2 expansion which, from what I’ve read, made Gothic 2 much more difficult. I only ever played Gothic 2 bundled with expansion but I definitely remember reading that the devs upped the difficulty significantly.

The only way to suit everybody’s skill level is to create a game where the difficulty is “open ended”. To Dead Cells credit the difficulty is quite open ended with the various tiers of challenge...but there will still be people where it’s not going to be difficult enough for them.

Another game I really love that does open ended difficulty right is Mount & Blade Warband and one of the coolest things in Warband is their amazing options menu where you can adjust the game difficulty to your hearts content. Make your hero and companions into unstoppable tanks or make them super fragile right from the get go.

18. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    what in the actual hell? Is that guy even human? Wtf.... I can't even survive a "kill 10 to lift curse" shindig.... eff my life. ALSO, that vids got me thirsty for Rise of the Giant. His outfit is sick....

19. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New York, NY
    Yes! Ram Rune....finally. That took some work, but worth it. Game is so amazing as every time it feels fresh.

Question.... what’s the BC (insert number) that you guys are talking about?

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @jpgold it stands for Boss stem Cells. Each time you defeat Hand of the King on higher difficulty, he drops a Boss Stem Cell you can use to increase difficulty further. You start with Normal difficulty and with your 1st boss stem cell you can increase it to Hard. That's when BC1 or 1BC name comes into play. You defeat the Hand again on Hard, you're on BC2 or 2BC,which is very hard.. And it goes on and on up to 5BC which is a Nightmare, literally :)

@pathogen541 I love how he kills everything, perry with his shield not missing even once and than suddenly there are Caverns.. And it's all just running, which I'm not surprised considering the amount of enemies there :D