Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Ok new question, can I get in here yet? Seems to be so many new things on BC1

and my time is so long because I don’t rush at all and often because I pause the game and have to do something with the baby etc so it just keeps ticking away. Maybe when I minimise it to check other apps quickly too.

Attached Files:

2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk that’s what we’ve been talking about on a previous page. The big hole in the wall (door) - lava room.. That’s where the key is.;)
    Edit: This is the post so you don’t have to look for it.

ste86uk likes this.
  3. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    @macplash any BC2 tips? Just finished my first BC1 hok kill and I’m getting completely re-fucked by the difficulty spike lol do I need to get my gear quality up???

4. subgenius

subgenius Well-Known Member

May 30, 2014
    Gear quality is important, but you also need to start playing more cautiously on higher BC levels. Rushing in headfirst doesn't work at all anymore, so tactics builds that can deal with things at range and using homunculus wisely start to be really important. Oh, and shields start to REALLY help.

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #545 macplash, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    I’ve never - not even once - used Homunculus rune during the combat. I know players used it to move turrets, but this feature has been fixed (removed) so it’s not a case anymore. I agree on shields, but I’m really bad with parrying, so I’m not using shields at all. And since I’m in 5BC, it’s obviously not essential to succeed.

@pathogen541 you definitely focus on upgrading Legendary Forge first. Getting higher quality weapons and skills along the way is crucial to stand a chance. Also, I assume you got Recycling Tubes from the HOTK on 1BC, so it’s important to do the right choices and get a good starting gear each run. For me the biggest spike in difficulty was going from 0BC to 1BC. I got stuck at 1BC for almost 200 runs. From there it was just a walk in the park. Although 4BC got me worried for a while with most of the enemies teleporting to me constantly. It was something new and requires some getting used to.

Edit: oh, I don’t know if this applies to 2BC already, but separate groups of enemies to stand a chance. Rushing head first into a group of 4 different types of enemies is never a good idea. Lure some of them away - let them chase you to the area where you’re more comfortable. But again, I’m not exactly sure if this applies to this difficulty. Worst case scenario - it’s a good practice for later difficulties.

And one more thing: plan your route ahead. Keep in mind what your goal is each run. If you’re going for upgrading Legendary Forge, plan the route to get through as much bosses as possible. Also to get as much cells as possible. If you’re on a quest to do a successful run, choose the shortest way available and avoid problematic areas. If you’re collecting blueprints, go for a Hunter’s Grenade first and always take a look in the mirror to see which enemy is holding the desired stuff.

6. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Beating HOTK on BC1 felt much harder for me, part way through the battle it just wasn’t working so I did what Macplash mentioned and switched to auto hit mode which I don’t like at all but it did really help on the boss and I narrowly stole a victory...although he had a lot of stacks of fire damage as wherever I walked set fires.

I got the tubes and dared to start a 2BC run but they aren’t there so I’m guessing I have to spend cells to unlock them?

macplash likes this.
  7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk yep, it’s just a blueprint - hence you need to unlock it first spending some cells. But you’re almost there!;)

ste86uk likes this.
  8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    *eek (gulp) :oops: - I’m going in! Wish me luck.:confused:

—-

Attached Files:

bx59 likes this.
  9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    That’s a lot of gold! Good luck.

10. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @macplash Going there with Nutcracker? That’s bold.

11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @bx59 I didn’t have a choice. It’s like the game constantly refuse to give me the items I want. Like on purpose. I got ridiculous amount of gold and nothing helpful to spend it on. Anyway, that Nutcracker guarantees critical hits on slowed, frozen or immobilized enemies. In combination with Frost Blast it was actually pretty strong. Slow, sure, but once you get in the rhythm with it, it’s usable. Of course I’d rather go with the Giantkiller, but until there’s a custom mode, it’s out of my hands obviously.

Anyway, going through the Astrolab, the moment the Explorer’s rune kicked in my map disappeared and I was screwed, going basically blind. Can’t wait for the fix. I made it to Observatory with one health flask refill and barely half the HP available. I made it to Collector’s third health refill and I died. It was humiliating. Not to mention if there’s anything I hate it’s the final boss that constantly refills his health.

I watched some YouTube videos on how to deal with him. I accidentally unlocked a secret blueprint in Astrolab so I don’t have to go through that painful experience again. Anyway, I made a copy of a save file before going against him, so after learning and remembering his patterns I went again. Died even faster than before. Then I tried like 5 more times, got pissed and went to sleep.

This morning I picked up where I left, and long story short, I made it. I smashed that losers head (literally) and enjoyed the cutscenes and changes to the game. I went through 4BC once to unlock all new weapons I collected like Hemorrhage or Sonic Crossbow (btw, only 4 empty jars left!) and I’m going again through 5BC. There are final outfits I just have to get even though the one for beating the Collector without getting hit sounds like a fantasy. But we’ll see. Hopefully I’ll get lucky and finally pick up that Giantkiller. It’s like my 5th run on 5BC with Survival build so statistically it has to happen at some point.;) So yeah..

bx59 likes this.
  12. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    #552 bx59, Nov 5, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    @macplash Congrats! And no funny gifs for you this time lol. But seriously, congrats. What I like about Dead Cells is the feeling of accomplishment it brings and I'm hoping that after beating the game you felt awesome. Btw a save file, what is that? Is someone using my old "cheat" technique to practice? ;) (That’s totally fair btw, please don’t get me wrong.)

I also wanna thank you for something specific. When I was at 1BC, I was thinking that doing these on touch controls is impossible. You gave me the courage, and I've pushed further. Thanks to you, I can't play this game with a controller now haha.

And for the records, I’m right behind you. But I won’t go there until I’m done with my Legendary Forge. Currently at 25% on my S tier, grinding!

95AB4C16-F9E7-4FA4-BCEE-CE28D35492A0.png

(For the ones who're wondering, the 5th Boss Stem Cell is acquired from the Giant, not HOTK. FYI)

ste86uk and macplash like this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @bx59 if you browse through first few pages of this thread you’ll see there wasn’t anyone more skeptical about touch controls than me. Funny how things turned out eventually. Since iPad version I never touched the game on Switch again. I’m playing on Xbox and PC very occasionally, but iOS is bar none my favorite. I’m glad I inspired you. It’s great to share accomplishments here, thoughts and strategies. I’m grateful for your late advice on Hunter’s Grenade too. As I said in my previous post, just 4 empty jars left!;)

Yeah, copying save file works on every platform and to my defense I didn’t know about it until I was on 4BC after like 250 runs. And I’m glad I earned that the hard way. It gave me something. And using it now in the endgame where things are borderline crazy is - as you said - totally fair.

Good luck with that Legendary Forge. You’re getting there. It’s gonna be the one less thing to worry about. Keep me in a loop about your accomplishments, will you?:) Now I’m gonna test that Sonic Crossbow to see what the fuss is about...

bx59 and ste86uk like this.
  14. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I haven’t actually upgraded anything at the forge yet, is that why it’s so hard? Seems like it would take a million runs to get 1000 cells for one upgrade when I still have things to unlock from blueprints instead.

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk are you serious? upgrading Legendary Forge is crucial to succeed. If you can’t get quality equipment during your run you don’t stand a chance. Definitely focus on that first! Who cares about blueprints unless it’s something you can’t live without? There’ll be plenty of time to unlock different stuff later, but you want to be able to choose from the highest quality items first. I suggest you to save cells each run and spend them only at Legendary Forge. You can visit Collector if you come across a blueprint or something, but just so it’s safe - no upgrading stuff.

Just FYI everyone, word of advice: avoid Challenge rifts at 5BC. Those are ridiculously difficult. Not worth to lose health there and trust me - you will. Who designed that shit? I don’t know if it’s the latest update or those are seriously easier on lower difficulties (dunno, didn’t try), but I came across 3 and didn’t make it out of a single one.:rolleyes::oops:

bx59 likes this.
  16. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash what is the best way to farm cells? I seen you say you lost out on 1000 by not doing something instead. But on normal you don’t earn many and 1bc. 2BC says double but doubt I’d be able to farm that yet.

17. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk well, the amount of cells is scarce on lower difficulties and it takes a while to upgrade the Forge, but that’s the point. Every next 10% is better as it increases the chance for higher quality items. If you’re lucky you can come across Liposuction skill (usually in the Ossuary) that doubles the amount of cells for 45 seconds so during that time you need to go crazy and kill everything in sight fast. Other important thing is to not get hit and kill 60 enemies in a row so you can open the bonus door after each biome. It’s plus 20 cells every single time. And of course, the higher difficulty the more cells. But higher risk of losing them as well. And I know you’re doing it already but not rushing through the biome but focusing on killing everything gives you more cells as well. Lastly, on higher difficulties you’ll be able to enter those doors spread throughout each biome and usually there’s a lot of cells in there as well. Just be patient, and don’t waste them on blueprints at this point.

Last time I lost around 1200 during my run on 5BC but you can’t do anything about it on that difficulty anyway. Collector junkie in the Observatory will take them from you anyway. It’s not like you pick em up after a successful run and deposit them on lower difficulty. So 4BC is the sweet spot to get most of them and still be able to deposit them (at the Collector). Btw, you’re still able to upgrade your Forge on 5BC (for the S items) but I highly doubt anyone will need it at that point as everyone’s will be already fully upgraded.

ste86uk likes this.
  18. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @ste86uk Agreed with @macplash , my usual route for grinding is Prisoners' Quarters > Toxic Sewers > Ramparts > beating the Concierge > restart. The initial biomes are way easier than the latter, so I stop at the Concierge and restart again for maximizing the profits on the minimum time frame possible.

ste86uk likes this.
  19. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk I, on the other hand, was never grinding in a literal sense just to upgrade the Forge. I focused on saving cells until the Concierge but not quitting right after. But I really enjoy playing in Ossuary, so unlike @bx59 I went from Prisoners’ Quarters to Promenade of the Condemned to Prison Depths to Ossuary to Black Bridge.

Grinding on purpose sounds like doing chores which doesn’t seem like fun anymore. I’d suggest to let it flow naturally.

I just went through hell to get Acceptance mutation. It requires getting 3 Gardener’s keys in Promenade but instead of wasting them there they’re used to unlock the doors to get Moonflower keys. Those keys are located in Ramparts, Graveyard and Forgotten Sepulcher. To be able to take that route, at least 3BC is required to get access to specific door. The route is then as follows: Prisoners’ Quarters to Promenade of the Condemned (to get 3 Gardener’s keys), then Ramparts for 1st Moonflower key, from there to Insufferable Crypt to beat Mike Wazowski’s sister and getting access to Graveyard for 2nd key and Forgotten Sepulcher for 3rd. With these keys to Clock Room to fight the Time Keeper and finally to High Peak Castle to unlock 3 doors and get the blueprint. I just had to do this the hard way and went into it on 4BC, which I realized wasn’t the best idea. Conjunctivius did a number on me and I lost 2 health flasks there. Then I went to Forgotten Sepulcher which generally is the worst, but playing on 4BC where every enemy teleports to me and chasing me endlessly through teleports and whatnot was insane. So I obviously lost another 2 health flask and after the Time Keeper I entered High Peak Castle with like 100HP, Critical value of Malaise, screen flashing red... Luckily I found those doors like immediately, and since I’m quite familiar with HPC biome I went for two keys only just to reach the entrance to the Throne Room and secure the blueprint at the Collector. It goes without saying I didn’t make it through HOTK, but I got what I came for. Which means, only 3 empty jars left. And I know if I do 3 more daily runs I’m gonna get my Meat Skewer blueprint. What those last 2 are though remains a mystery to me. So, just wanted to share my experience. If you’ll go for this blueprint at some point - good luck. Definitely not worth it, if you ask me.:)

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #560 macplash, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    Imagine my disappointment going through all the trouble to get this one final and ridiculously difficult outfit only to realize it’s not in 1.6 version yet.:(

DEEAE3C0-BAA0-47FF-B50C-FD32166FB3F6.jpeg

—-

Attached Files: