Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Trauma Nurse
    Phoenix
    Well, it’s three bucks, lol. And, nah I have it on my switch but did want to justify picking it up again on my phone. Since it’s on sale for the phone that justifies owning two copies now.

2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yeah, it’s 3 bucks, you’re right. Although there was a launch discount, so from my point of view, it’s still only 2.:p And I understand your justification. I own this game on 4 platforms. Steam (and yet never played it there), Xbox (bought before it was added to Game Pass), Switch and iOS. Still not my record holder as I got e.g. Stardew Valley or Minecraft on 5. But still worth it nevertheless. And iOS is my preferred platform, so I hope you’re going to have a great time with it.;)

3. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Something i don’t get:
    At BC0 you spend souls to upgrade the forge for more + items
    But at BC1 the + item gauge is already filled up and you can upgrade the ++ gauge?
    So if you play at BC1, there is no point in going farming BC0 to fill the gauge anymore right?

4. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #404 macplash, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    @ramzarules it’s definitely not filled automatically. Even if you’re playing on 1BC you still have to upgrade + items first to the max before being able to upgrade ++ items. The same goes for S items on 3BC (2BC is skipped btw). Without having + items fully upgraded you can’t move forward.

On top of that, at 0BC you can upgrade forge for + items after each level, but ++ and S items are upgradable only after bosses. So every 3-4 levels depending on which route you choose to progress. Does it make more sense now?

Also keep in mind you’re upgrading possibility of certain quality items appearing throughout the game. Fully upgraded + bar gives you 100% chance to find + items. Fully upgraded ++ bar is 60% which means less than half of stuff you find will still be + items. And fully upgraded S bar is only 25% chance that item will be of S quality.

ramzarules likes this.
  5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    All the posts have made me want to play again and get back into it although I’m terrible at BC1 after so long away from the game so I’ve dropped down to normal to get use to the game again and hopefully that will help as it is pretty easy.

6. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Thanks. I would have sworn at the ps4 version where i am in bc1 the + bar is already filled and it lets me upgrade the ++. Maybe this is with Rise of the Giant, or i just remember wrong. Thanks again :)

7. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    There might be differences. For example I’m pretty sure it needs 10.000 cells on XBox to fully upgrade S bar at legendary forge in comparison to 8.000 on iOS. I assume there’ll be changes when RotG DLC comes to iOS. We’ll see.

8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I thought for the longest time the difficulty increase between 0BC and 1BC is unnecessarily steep. You play at difficulty you’re comfortable with, but unless you’re still filling first bar at legendary forge, there’s no reason to stay stuck at 0BC. It won’t give you anything. It gets boring eventually. I suggest to stay in 1BC and even though you’ll die a lot, you’ll get better with each and every run. You’ll get used to the difficulty. You’ll unlock more items you can’t get on 0BC. You’ll get more cells too, upgrade ++ items which makes your runs easier. So, yeah.

ste86uk likes this.
  9. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I never actually did anything at all at the forge all of my cells were just spent on unlocking new gear and mutations but mostly gear.

10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Focus on forge then. Unlocking all the mutations or weapons isn’t as important. Getting better quality stuff during your runs is essential to be successful.

ste86uk likes this.
  11. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @ste86uk also, if you’re struggling, focus your attention on synergy between items and eventually mutations you have. If you’re running with ice shards that gives you critical hits when enemy is covered in oil, your focus should be on items that spreads inflammable oil on enemies - makes sense, right? If you’re sure you hitting everything with critical, you should unlock mutation that decrease the cooldown of your skills with each critical hit. Or if you’re running with tactics build and using traps and towers, unlock mutation that increase your DPS when close to deployed skills. Pretty straightforward, right?

Last but not least, in the beginning of your each run make a decision what build you’re going with and focus on that. If you’re going Tactics, collect purple items only. And upgrade only Tactics tree. Or go with Brutality build and focus on red weapons and grenades. Mixing it up and upgrading everything equally gives you no advantage.

ste86uk likes this.
  12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I’ll try that with all of them from now and maybe that plus getting use to the game again will help me with BC1.

I guess I took it too far unlocking things because I was finding it fun getting different things to use but should have used the forge too rather than never at all!

macplash likes this.
  13. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Android version was announced for June 3rd, but when asked about iOS update, it's the same crappy answer as months ago.:(

dcplay.jpg

14. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Just beat Conjonctivius on 1BC without a DOT build (after 15-20 tries ofc), but man this run is it, I'm feeling it. I'll beat 1BC. Focused!

ste86uk likes this.
  15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    And that ladies and gentlemen is why we have so many freemium games !!

One of the games of 2019. Give the devs full price for the game !!

macplash likes this.
  16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I admire your perseverance. I’m usually avoiding Insufferable Crypt by a mile in general. I hate this boss - she’s my least favorite. If I don’t have to, I’m trying not to face her. It’s that stupid toxic rain of hers during the final phase. Getting an achievement for defeating her without being hit is probably my most treasured accomplishment. With shields running a Survival build it’s probably easier, but I still couldn’t force myself to go that way.

Anyway, if you feel this is it - this is the run - fingers crossed! Keep us informed how did it go.;)

bx59 likes this.
  17. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Had a feeling it was going to take a while which is why I started playing on Switch. Given all the additional content, I now understand why it would take longer.

18. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @jpgold I have the game on Switch as well. On Xbox too. But for some reason, the mobile version is my favorite. I made it the furthest by playing it the most there. It's not like I have no other option. I'd just like to see more content added to mobile version as well. It doesn't have to be everything right away. I'd be perfectly fine with Rise of the Giant DLC at the moment. It's been 9 months since the release on mobile after all.

19. bx59

bx59 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2016
    @macplash So... I decided to quit trying at thotk, because I felt like I was in the wrong build. If I tried 40-50 times more, I felt like I could get him eventually but wanted to start over with better equipment. Nonetheless, learned a lot during the last 2 days. I feel quite relaxed in 1BC now! I may beat it even tonight. I know it's coming, and already started to afraid of what might be coming in 2BC....

Idk if you guys do the same, but I immediately quit the app on the second I die, and continue from the beginning of the level/room after relaunch. I know it's kinda cheating, but also the best way to practice imho.

I just love this game.

20. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @bx59 At first I didn’t understand what you meant by trying. And in retrospect, it didn’t occur to me when you mentioned it in previous post about Conjonctivius as well, as you literally wrote “after 15-20 tries”, but it makes perfect sense now. And it’s pretty lame if what you wrote is true. And it definitely sounds like a cheating. Not “kinda”. Because I can’t imagine this could work on other platforms. Or could it? I don’t know, but it’s just wrong then. If it really works that way, it definitely takes something away from the game. The intensity, suspense, the moment of surprise. But most importantly, there’s no skill involved in playing like this. What’s the point then?

Well, imagine my disappointment after reading this shit.:( Again, if this really works - if it’s true - than it’s just a bug and be sure I’m gonna contact the developer with request to fix it immediately. It’s like someone just took my favorite toy away from me. Now I’m wondering if anyone else knew about this. If anyone else is playing the game this shitty way. 250 runs and countless hours spent playing and practicing. And someone just closes the game and starts like nothing happened? F*** that!