Universal Dead Cells (by Motion Twin & Playdigious) [TA GoTY 2019]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 27, 2019.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woo!!! Congrats!!
    I still haven't gotten it, but I did get a couple other blueprints trying, so.... <shrug>
    Definitely a win as far as that goes.

2. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woo!! Finally beat 4BC!!
    Can't wait for the ROTG update....

It's been hard to play anything but this since it came out.... and I started playing more on my pc as well... just sucks seeing how much has been added there and how far behind the iOS build is.
    =X

3. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Pretty hyped for ROTG update to, been waiting for weeks

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Impressive! I’m struggling with 1BC. I found difficulty curve being very steep between 0BC and 1BC. It’s no challenge for me whatsoever to beat the game on 0BC, and yet on 1BC I barely made it to HotK twice from all the attempts (and failed to beat him anyway). I’m still trying though.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, the difficulty bump from 0 to 1 and from 3 to 4 are both kind of a wall you'll have to break through.
    Keep at it, though... once it clicks, it's beautiful.
    =D
    Best of luck to ya!

6. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I’m literally in the exact same situation.

7. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Holy.
    Crap.

I wish I would have recorded it...

I took a boomerang into the fight against The Time Keeper. I also had the extra ammo perk and one of the attributes for my boomerang was +1 ammo, so I had 3 at my disposal...

I have NEVER had an easier fight with her. I have no clue why, but I beat her in about 10 seconds. I literally had a harder time against just about every elite enemy I faced working my way to her.
    Anyone have any clue what's up with that?
    =X

8. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Has anyone else played the 1.5 update on Steam?
    Damn, the jump from 1.1 to 1.5 is CRAZY!
    I can't believe all the stuff that's been added/changed/tweaked.
    I've gotten so accustom to playing the iOS build that jumping onto my laptop to play is such a shock.... I can't even reach The Time Keeper on 1BC.
    =X

I also read that they're hard at work porting the game over to Android and that the Rise of the Giant update won't get any attention until the Android build is finished and released (sometime either around the end of this year or during Q1 of 2020), so it'll be a while until we get anywhere close to all the other versions.
    =J

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wooo!!!

Got a vid of a fight with The Time Keeper on 3BC while I was grinding for cells to upgrade my forge all the way.
    =P

<shrug>

I think I beat her quicker here than I did with the boomerangs....

Son of Anarchy likes this.
  10. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @syntheticvoid that’s just ridiculous! Hats down to your spot-on timing with jumps and dodging. Seems fairly easy, but I know it’s not. It’s very impressive and inspirational. I’m still struggling on 1BC so watching this kind of skill in action is pretty amazing.

You’re using fire blast as a primary weapon. I wanted to ask this for a long time. How do you equip secondary weapons to primary slot? I was under impression it’s only possible in custom mode (in higher versions of the game on PC and consoles). I’ve seen twin bow builds and whatnot, but never tried it myself just because it didn’t work for me. When I start a new run, I can pick up bow first, hence it’s my primary weapon. But if I want to buy or find a better bow along the line, I can’t equip it to primary slot. Or can I?

syntheticvoid likes this.
  11. quangvietnguyen

Feb 1, 2013
    you can equip bows at primary slot if auto hit is turned off

12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Oh, that’s the catch! Thank you. It’s gonna be a problem though as I’m playing with auto-hit option on since the beginning.o_O I just gave it a try and switching between primary and secondary works like a charm. Although, I died in less than a minute in Prisoner’s Quarters already.:( So, yeah.

13. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I bought an XBONE controller last week, partly because I was looking at the Steam sale and thinking ‘well, I could buy all of these titles on PC or I could just buy a controller and play them on iPad...’

I haven’t yet got to grips with DC fully. But will be giving it plenty more time in the very near future...

14. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Hey, sorry I didn't respond, I kind of passed out after posting.... buuuuuuut.... keep at it! You'll totally get it, especially since now you won't be getting stuck hitting enemies instead of wanting to jump to a different platform or dodge. For some reason, auto-hit mode seems to prioritize pulling off attacks instead of character movement. The 'classic' set-up gives you so much more control once you get use to button mashing attacks.
    =D
    I started playing with auto-attack on when I first got the game and switching to classic was a big kick in the teeth for me too.... but after a few games, it slowly started to click.

Aaaaand, I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but I am now on my 257th run on this current save slot and I've got 63 runs on my first save slot....
    <shrug>

I'm also a part of the DC reddit group, have read through the wiki for DC at least 10 times now and have spent quite a bit of time watching runs on YouTube.

You.... could..... probably call me a little obsessed.
    =X

15. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @syntheticvoid I’m sure it takes time to get familiar with new mechanics. I could use a controller, but I just don’t want to. I have consoles for that. Touch controls is the main reason I’m gaming on iPad in the first place. And in Dead Cells I made it the furthest on iPad. I own the game on PC, XBox and Switch as well, but the most I played is on iPad. Probably mostly because of auto hit option? I don’t know.

I just feel the difficulty curve is extremely steep between 0BC and 1BC. As I previously mentioned, there’s no challenge for me to finish the run on 0BC at all. But I’m struggling so much with 1BC. I just made it only twice to the HOTK, it’s just too difficult. And from what I’ve read I’m not the only one who feels that way. I’m still trying though. Dead Cells is probably the only game where the lack of success feels frustrating. If it was any other game, I wouldn’t care anymore and just deleted it.

I’m gonna put some more effort into it with classic control scheme. All in all, I just tried once. No way I’m leaving it at that! Thanks for your motivation. I’m also watching a lot of runs on YouTube even though they’re mostly from other platforms, which means much more content we’re only about to get. And of course I’m part of DC Reddit group as well. You can come across some sick skills there as well.;)

syntheticvoid likes this.
  16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I know it’s not iOS related, but still pretty impressive nevertheless. First paid DLC for Dead Cells ever. And looking sick.:)

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
  18. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Don’t think I’ve ever played a game as much as this one.

looking for some advice....

Im playing on BC2 and can now make it to the Clock Room pretty regularly having my health, plus all my flask recharges.....and then get destroyed being at 1/2 health with only one refill left.

I usually go in with two turrets, and try to let them do the work while I evade.

Any suggestions?

19. quangvietnguyen

Feb 1, 2013
    Ayjona likes this.
  20. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    That would be awesome - though I must admit I have quite a few BSCs to go before I'm eve close to exhausting the current content ;)

You happen to know if they were referring to Rise of Giants (I'm assuming they can't deliver Bad Seed so soon), the 1.6 patch, a combined/general content update, etc?